Thread: AC/DC: 1981- 2008

AC/DC: 1981- 2008

What do you make of their catalogue from that time frame? I have pretty much everything up to Back in Black, Then spotty after that. I have Razor's Edge (good album), Black Ice, & *used* to have "Who Made Who". That's it.

What'd you make of Ballbreaker? I'd say that's one of the most ignored of all their albums. (likely for good reason)

1980 to 2008 is really my favorite AC/DC era. There, I said it. I love Brian Johnson. My favorite AC/DC albums are (in no particular order):

Back In Black
    For Those About To Rock
    Flick Of The Switch
    Fly On The Wall
    Ballbreaker
    Stiff Upper Lip

I think my cd store sold more ACDC in the 90s decade than any other artist/band. I liked them, they paid a lot of bills. Musically, I'm indifferent about them.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Back in Black is by far my favorite of that era, I like For Those About To Rock & Black Ice. Johnson's from my home town, Newcastle, so the home town gigs were always fun, he'd wear a Newcastle United shirt on stage that went down well. Saw them on the FTATR, Fly On The Wall & Flick Of The Switch tours.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I have Razor's Edge (good album), Black Ice, & *used* to have "Who Made Who". That's it.
    I would say you're only missing For Those About To Rock... and Fly On The Wall.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I don't think I've ever heard the albums all the way through, but there were quite a few 80's era songs I remember liking, eg For Those About To Rock (mainly the intro), I Put The Finger On You, Sink The Pink, Who Made Who, etc. Good fun, rock n roll band.

Reputedly, an interviewer once accused Angus of "making the same album 13 times", and Angus said "That's not true, we've made the same album 16 times!".

And I always dug the fact that Mal plays a Gretsch pretty much all the time.

I like AC/DC more than Black Sabbath. It's true I swear .

Nobody has mentioned the 2 CD live album from this era which I think is fantastic and covers a hell of a lot of musical ground. For the studio discs I only have “Back In Black”, “For Those About To Rock”, “Blow Up Your Video”, “Stiff Upper Lip” and “Black Ice”. Of course “Back In Black” is a classic, but of the other I honestly I think “Black Ice” is the best. I really thought it was a great return to form after the mediocre (to my ears at least) “Stiff Upper Lip”.

Steve Sly

Black Ice is okay. It's got some good songs but overall I found it lacking. Too many songs, and the songs are too short. I could do without 3 or 4 songs on that disk. It doesn't sound bad but the guitars just don't sound big and beefy like they normally do. I'll take Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip over Black Ice every time.

The only album from that era i don't care for is Stiff Upper Lip. It's just lacking in the vocal melodies department. But the rest of the albums range from good to great in my book.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Not trying to be a troll but after For Those About To Rock I lost interest, and I'll take any Bon Scott recording over any Brian Johnson recording 11 times out of 10.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Well, the AC/DC disk I've been listening to the most recently is Ballbreaker. Man I love that album. Great songs, great sound, great singing by Brian.

I was a fan from about '79 to '81, saw them on the "For Those About To Rock" tour, and basically stopped listening to them shortly thereafter... Decent band but kinda pedestrian imo...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-