Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ian Anderson Album and Tour

I am stoked that Ian Anderson found his inspiration to record again. I will absorb the albums while it lasts.

I'll probably give this a shot. I was pleasantly surprised by TAAB2. I hope this time out he gives the rhythm section a bit more to do, but melodically I thought TAAB2 was the best he's done since CoaK, and the most "Tull-like" since that album as well, imo. I agree, his voice has problems, but he works within what he can do on the newer stuff and it sounds OK to me on the album, and sounded OK live too. On the older stuff he struggled live, but Mini Me helped out.

Bill

... anyone heard anything yet about special editions or the like? It's a bit early yet for it to be listed at amazon... I'm just curious.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks for posting the teaser. As a die-hard Tull fanboy, I must say I thought the snippet of music there sounded a bit "meh." But maybe they intentionally chose a part with not too much happening knowing that Anderson was going to be talking over most of it.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Thanks for posting the teaser. As a die-hard Tull fanboy, I must say I thought the snippet of music there sounded a bit "meh." But maybe they intentionally chose a part with not too much happening knowing that Anderson was going to be talking over most of it.
    I was digging that groove and guitar part on that last bit. Almost sounded Cuneiform'ish for a second.

Yes. I enjoyed the little bit I heard. Enough to get me interested in its release.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Enter here to try and win 2 tix to the show of your choice (travel and accompdations not included, which is why I'm not entering - but if you're in Europe, why not?):

http://www.gigantic.com/ian-anderson-competition

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I agree... but it doesn't sound bad. Hope springs eternal. TaaB2 did nothing for me, but if this is even as good as R2B I'd be happy.

^^ Roots to Branches is one of my favorite Tull records! If the new one is even close, I'll be ecstatic!

RtB is my favorite of anything post Under Wraps (which I like, thank you ) But Ian has been moving toward a hideously sterile production style for decades that undermines whatever might be going on composition-wise for me. And the current band- I'm not feeling the fire. But, we'll see.

Tracklist

PART ONE: CHRONICLES
    1 Doggerland
    2 Heavy Metals
    3 Enter The Uninvited
    4 Puer Ferox Adventus
    5 Meliora Sequamur
    6 The Turnpike Inn
    7 The Engineer
    8 The Pax Britannica

PART TWO: PROPHECIES
    9 Tripudium Ad Bellum
    10 After These Wars
    11 New Blood, Old Veins

PART THREE: REVELATIONS
    12 In For A Pound
    13 The Browning of the Green
    14 Per Errationes Ad Astra
    15 Cold Dead Reckoning"

http://thejethrotullboard.proboards....-teaser?page=2

Details on the various formats, from the Kscope website (note that pre-orders qualifying for signed postcard have sold out):

https://www.burningshed.com/store/ks...ollection/520/

I'll be patiently waiting for the US release. When you add up the dollar/pound discrepancy and dub in shipping it's the same as a down-payment on a small house.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    2 Heavy Metals
    I guess Ian was right when he said that there would be some metal influence on this release.

I was gonna go for that 4-disc deluxe version but by the time the shipping was factored in, I was looking at £45.19, or about 83 bucks! I just can't justify that price. So I ordered the 2-disc version for a total of £14.49,or $26.64. Much more reasonable, and it still has the 5.1 mix included.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I was gonna go for that 4-disc deluxe version but by the time the shipping was factored in, I was looking at £45.19, or about 83 bucks! I just can't justify that price. So I ordered the 2-disc version for a total of £14.49,or $26.64. Much more reasonable, and it still has the 5.1 mix included.
    But Progatron, baby, you know how much I wanted the 4-disk version!

Ok, just messin with ya' - I have to decide this one for myself too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But Progatron, baby, you know how much I wanted the 4-disk version!

Ok, just messin with ya' - I have to decide this one for myself too.
    Spending 40% more than you have to 2 months before the release date makes no sense to me at all, nobody's getting it until then so what's the rush?

Unless you're independently wealthy, of course, you can listen while sailing your yacht.

chalkpie
    IA should be paying us these days to listen to that voice. Ouch that hurt. Love the guy, though!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    IA should be paying us these days to listen to that voice. Ouch that hurt. Love the guy, though!
    Based on TAAB 2 he sounds fine in the studio, in concert not so much.

It's kind of annoying that for the two disk release they decided to include the DVD with the 5.1 mix, instead of the 2nd CD which actually has all those demos. IMO hearing those demos is more important than hearing a 5.1 mix. Why not a 2CD/DVD release in a digibook/digipak. Then the only thing you'd miss out on if skipping the deluxe would be the giant book?

It's kind of annoying that for the two disk release they decided to include the DVD with the 5.1 mix, instead of the 2nd CD which actually has all those demos. IMO hearing those demos is more important than hearing a 5.1 mix. Why not a 2CD/DVD release in a digibook/digipak. Then the only thing you'd miss out on if skipping the deluxe would be the giant book?
    I'll go out on a limb and say Ian probably agrees with you, that's why he's made the demos the focus of the more expensive package. It's all about the Benjamins, yo, which is a little silly since Ian has more $ than God(die).

The 5.1 mix is more important to me personally. I shelled out for a really nice surround system and these modern releases make it worthwhile. I'd like to hear the demos too, but I doubt I'd listen to them more than once or twice, barring the rare occasion when I actually prefer a demo track to the finished product - sounds like a thread idea!

The 5.1 mix is more important to me personally. I shelled out for a really nice surround system and these modern releases make it worthwhile. I'd like to hear the demos too, but I doubt I'd listen to them more than once or twice, barring the rare occasion when I actually prefer a demo track to the finished product - sounds like a thread idea!
    I'm also down with the 5.1 mix over the demos, but being addicted to Tull (Ian if you prefer) I'm sure I'll wind up springing for the deluxe edition if/when it becomes available on this side of the pond.

He's playing Pittsburgh this year.

Looks like I'll finally be able to see him again (last time was 2007).

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I've heard the new album [advance review copy], and I would say Ian is in better voice than he's been in a while, and musically this is as strong, and possibly better (as it isn't dragged by being the sequel to an older album) than "TAAB2". This shouldn't disappoint JT fans.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos