Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: review cd??

review cd??

i am kind of new to the site and i wonder why there is no review for cd like in prog archive??

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clauper View Post
    i am kind of new to the site and i wonder why there is no review for cd like in prog archive??
    Welcome aboard clauper! The previous version of PE had a reviews section and I understand this current version will have provision for reviews soon.

Meanwhile, take a wander through some threads, post a bit, and allow us to get to know you.

Btw, lots of great prog from your province!

from...a fellow Canadian, eh

Jon Neudorf
    Maybe Duncan will chime in.

Regards,
    Jon

Salut Clauper et bienvenue

I'm not an Admin here, but I'll chime in, at least partially

Quote Originally Posted by clauper View Post
    As I am also a member of PA, the site spends an amazing amount of effort in an (almost) exhaustive database, which takes a huge amount of space... But PA's financial needs are met through Google adds revenues... But this is starting to cost them too: go look at Roxy Music's Country Life blurred artwork to check out the blackmail

AFAIK, PE has no such financial means (just member's donations >> I must renew mine, my star's gone out about a month ago) to hold and maintain such a database (and it would only duplicate PA's, which is pointless, IMHO). We had under our previous version a review section that could've maybe compared to PA's database, but only reviewed albums were entered in it. So it was totally incomplete and it was never the plan to rival PA.

Voilu-voila

A+

Hugues
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But PA's financial needs are met through Google adds revenues... But this is starting to cost them too: go look at Roxy Music's Country Life blurred artwork to check out the blackmail
    LOL. I took a look. Were they asked by an advertiser to blur the cover? This makes me think how hilarious the American cover for Country Life was - they removed the women and just left the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL. I took a look. Were they asked by an advertiser to blur the cover? This makes me think how hilarious the American cover for Country Life was - they removed the women and just left the trees.
    Needless to say that it was imposed by Google, or elsea boycott
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

In this age of easily accessible samples, I find the written review passé... I can use 1000 words to describe an album, or you can actually HEAR the music being described; without my bias tainting it for you.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    In this age of easily accessible samples, I find the written review passé... I can use 1000 words to describe an album, or you can actually HEAR the music being described; without my bias tainting it for you.
    Interesting notion Yves. I think there's some merit to your assertion, yet for me, I still find value in reviews. Particularly when the reviewer has claimed to have given a cd several spins. We all know that some Prog takes those several spins before it sinks it's teeth under your skin. With that in mind then, a listen to a sample may not reveal what the album has to offer.

Btw way, for those counting (probably only me ), posts in this thread up to mine originate from:

Canada = 5
    Belgium = 2
    USA = 1

Jon Neudorf
    I don't. Maybe I am biased as I am a reviewer but I often hit the review sections of sites to get a low down of a band or artist through the written word. I find some reviews highly entertaining and it's interesting to read what others think of an album or band. Then I make up my own mind whether to pursue said artist or album. I use samples as well. There is room for both in our small corner of the world.

Regards,
    Jon

I have now extracted the 3,000-plus reviews from the old site.

It will take a few days of dedicated work to insert them into the new PE system. I hope to do that in the coming weeks.

The biggest challenge is the cover art ... we will probably not be able to include album covers in the converted reviews, though it will be possible to include them in new reviews.

I'm moving this discussion to its proper forum...
    Regards,

Duncan

I like the option to have both - a review and a listen.
    Btw - Canada = 6.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I don't. Maybe I am biased as I am a reviewer but I often hit the review sections of sites to get a low down of a band or artist through the written word. I find some reviews highly entertaining and it's interesting to read what others think of an album or band. Then I make up my own mind whether to pursue said artist or album. I use samples as well. There is room for both in our small corner of the world.

Regards,
    Jon
    Jon, I reviewed on the same site as you, and on PE, for years. There was a time when I seeked out reviews regularly. Now, when I hear of a band that might interest me I go to YouTube first. I don't really care what [insert reviewer name here] thinks of the album, I only care about what I'll think of the album.

I still like to read reviews, before, or after I bought an album. It is always fun to know what someone else hears in music.

Reviews will always have a niche audience, I just don't feel they're as vital as they were about a decade ago.

When I first came to PE I spent most of my time in the reviews. It was at least a year or two before I started going to the forum. I look forward to the return of the review section because I always found PA to be a bit klutzy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    When I first came to PE I spent most of my time in the reviews. It was at least a year or two before I started going to the forum. ....
    This was me too. I had never participated in a forum before so it just seemed too foreign a concept for me. I used the PE reviews though (along with the Dutch pages, PA, SoT, and others) to guide my purchasing decisions. At some point, I was motivated to sign up so I could do the forum thing, and now I feel at ease to post here and there and enjoy the prog-banter in PE land.

Jon Neudorf
    It's all good Yves. I see your point. I mainly read reviews for entertainment. I enjoy learning of other people's opinions about (insert here) album.
    Looking forward to contributing to the review section when the time comes. Its just another way to spread the good word of this music called prog we all know and love.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post

Regards,
    Jon
    Mmhhh!!!

Yves' PoV is a very good one... Indeed, if you have to trust reviews or your own ears, I'd take the second alternative

However, it's kind of weird, but despite my own ton of reviews on PA and JMA, the only real times I read others, is generally after I've written mine... or else, when some album fails to ring an interest, when I know it should... then I seek reviews that might give me a clue on how to appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I have now extracted the 3,000-plus reviews from the old site.

It will take a few days of dedicated work to insert them into the new PE system. I hope to do that in the coming weeks.

The biggest challenge is the cover art ... we will probably not be able to include album covers in the converted reviews, though it will be possible to include them in new reviews.

I'm moving this discussion to its proper forum...
    Duncan for prez

once that's done, two months rest, than onto the polls section

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Jon, I reviewed on the same site as you, and on PE, for years. There was a time when I seeked out reviews regularly. Now, when I hear of a band that might interest me I go to YouTube first. I don't really care what [insert reviewer name here] thinks of the album, I only care about what I'll think of the album.
    Do you feel the same way about movies and movie reviews? You could watch a preview for a movie, but it can be very hard to judge the movie by the preview.

Truth is, I don't watch too many movies. We still have brick and mortar video stores here. The 2 or 3 times a year I actually feel like watching movies, I'll wander over there and read the box and see if it's something I could get into. I don't seek out movie reviews on the internet. Of course, I'm merely renting the movie; I don't buy any. If I make a mistake in my choice I have no qualms about stopping it and returning it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you feel the same way about movies and movie reviews? You could watch a preview for a movie, but it can be very hard to judge the movie by the preview.
    Truth is, I don't watch too many movies. We still have brick and mortar video stores here. The 2 or 3 times a year I actually feel like watching movies, I'll wander over there and read the box and see if it's something I could get into. I don't seek out movie reviews on the internet. Of course, I'm merely renting the movie; I don't buy any. If I make a mistake in my choice I have no qualms about stopping it and returning it.

I don't buy films either... and while DVD rental stores are on the decline, most library sustems in Benelux or France have DVD (though you might have to wait a few weeks/months to get your paws on it.
    Noneed to cjeck out internet for movie reviews.... every country's TV stations have plentuy of film programmes, fiklled with previews, reviews and interviews

Reviews will always have a niche audience, I just don't feel they're as vital as they were about a decade ago.
    I tend to agree with Yves' opinion, unless we are speaking of real obscurities or ultra-limited new releases. Count me among those that go to YouTube, Soundcloud or Bandcamp for the first listen (in order for my ears to decide unbiased). But, at a second phase, I always seek (love) to read others opinions after my purchases. So it still makes me a review freak in the end.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Reviews can also bring something to my attention. I read book reviews to know if there is something interesting to read. Sometimes I use movie-reviews for it, if a movie is based on a book, I try to look for the book.
    CD-reviews can serve like this, if I read them in a paper or a magazine. If something looks interesting, I might try to find some soundfiles.
    And I love to read reviews after I bought something. Sometimes I also look at reviews before buying something. It is not always easy to find soundfiles of some obscure stuff.

A good review is alwas a good thing. Bad reviews (especially one based on personal preference) are a kiss of death. Getting music into the hand of those who like the kind of music you are releasing is absolutely key to having any success. Sending prog disks to someone who is into metal might as well be sent to a 70 year old childrens song reviewer. There is definitely such a thing as "bad press"