Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy 40 Brain Salad Surgery

My first live show, one of my most favorite albums of all time. Still look at that period in their history as untouchable. Happy anniversary!

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    My UK Manticore single of Jerusulem had that Apple Blossom thing as a b-side
    He was probably thinking of "Fanfare for the Common Man," which did have BSS as the B-side.

Brain Salad Surgery was the B-side to the 1977 hit single Fanfare For The Common Man, although it was first heard on a free flexidisc given away with the NME...all in the UK.
    `Jerusalem's B-side was `Apple Blossoms etc etc'

I was working in a record store in Isla Vista, CA when WEA sent me 50 copies of a picture sleeve promotional, not-for-sale 45 with Brian Salad Surgery as the a-side and Still... You Turn Me On as a b-side. The label says, "Never before released" and is dated 1974.

I'm down to two copies.
    Last edited by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof; 11-20-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Is Jakko still involved in the remaster/remix/5.1 of the ELP catalogue? He was rumored to be taking it over from Steven Wilson, right?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think it's the Shout Factory release I have. Anyone know if that's remastered? Forget.
    I checked, and it's the Victory release I have - anyone familiar with that one? No bonus tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    The title came from a lyric in the song "Right Place, Wrong Time" by Dr. John.
    From the booklet with the 1996 Rhino reissue is the following explanation:
    "The title came courtesy of flamboyant former Atlantic Records promo man cum ELP road manager /Manticore Records president Mario Medious . Medious had nicked the title from a slang lyric in Dr. John's 1973 hit "Right Place Wrong Time" to replace the album's quaint working moniker "Whip Some Skull On Yer".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    Don't buy any older expanded editions cause they just announced the new deluxe version for April 2014 new 5.1 and unreleased material apparently
    Where did you get this info? Also, will it be newly remastered? I don't want to buy the Shout! Factory remaster again.

they posted it on their facebook page. doesn't seem to be a track listing or info on if its jakko or whomever else might do it.

the exact text:

"WELCOME BACK MY FRIENDS.....
    April 2014 will see the ultimate expansion reissue of Emerson Lake and Palmer’s groundbreaking ‘Brain Salad Surgery. Including brand new 5.1 and high resolution stereo mixes, alternate takes, previously unreleased material, brand new liner notes, digitally enhanced artwork and rare/unseen photography..."

Banned
    Their official website doesn't say anything about this. Will it be a brand new remaster? I got a Razor & Tie version of BSS on vinyl recently, and the sound sucks. Sounds similar to the Shout! Factory remaster.
    Last edited by JIF; 11-22-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, I've always thought it one of the most arresting album titles. I just checked Wikipedia - I'm ashamed to say I'd totally forgotten about Peter Sinfield's involvement with ELP. It must have been him who came up with the title, right?
    Brain salad surgery is slang for blowjob. The original working title whip some skull on me (skull = head) may have been considered too easily recognized as a vulgarity.

If you open the album gatefold the phallic symbology is pretty clear.

(Insert joke about how this album doesn't blow)

There was a dick on the cover aiming right for the woman's mouth but H.R. was forced to airbrush it into a glowing... well, still a dick, really.

COME AND SEE THE SHOW

Emerson, Lake & Palmer classic album Brain Salad Surgery will be re-released as an extended Super Deluxe edition on April 7 next year, it’s been confirmed.

The “ultimate expansion” treatment has been announced on the 40th anniversary of its original appearance in November 1973.

Packaged in the famous artwork by HR Giger, the new edition will include 5.1 mixes, previously unreleased material and more.

ELP say: “We are amazed that after 40 years, so much of the original recordings, photos and artwork are still usable. Some of it has never been released before, but it’s fascinating to hear how the recordings progressed. We are delighted that this new version will reveal some of these transitions.”

The prog supergroup’s fourth album was the first to appear on their Manticore imprint. Encapsulated by the phrase “Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends,” it carried the half-hour magnum opus Karn Evil 9 along with their reinterpretation of Jerusalem, Lake’s track Still… You Turn Me On, Benny The Bouncer and Emerson’s adaptation of Albert Ginestera’s Toccata.

Sony Music / Legacy Recordings add: “Brain Salad Surgery will receive a 40th anniversary celebration worthy of its genre-defining place in history.

“It’s an album that saw Keith Emerson, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer displaying more creativity than most bands achieve in their whole lifetime.”

Listened to it yesterday and now I have Toccata stuck in my head. Good times!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I'm looking forward to Jakko's 5.1 (and, presumably, new stereo) remixes. I hope that the "new" bits and pieces are indeed new and not just outtakes that have already appeared on previous deluxe editions of BSS.
    Last edited by jefftiger; 11-24-2013 at 09:19 AM.

I can't wait for the new 5.1 mix coming in April!!! I just listened to this CD again for the first time in about 6 months or so. Karn Evil 9 is my favorite ELP composition (can't just call it a song!) of everything they released. A few observations of this album: I never thought the original vinyl sounded that good (I thought that about a LOT of my favorite groups growing up: ELP, YES, and Genesis to name a few. Always thought they sounded better live that on record). When CD's first came out I bought the first version (Atlantic 19124-2). Again didn't think it sounded that great. Then in 1996 Rhino released a version that I heard sounded good. Finally purchased it a little over a year ago. Again, wasn't that impressed with the sound. I thought both sounded very compressed and very shrill. Had given up on getting a great sounding version......until I ran across yet another version, released in 2011 by Sony Legacy, mastered by Andy Pearce. Got this for around $6......Just listened to it and I was BLOWN AWAY at the sound quality! All the dynamics are there! Not shrill at all. I listened to it using Dolby Pro Logic II Music (pretty old now) and I would have sworn it was in 5.1! Of course it isn't, but it sure sounded like it. To me THIS version is the very best sounding version out there right now.

If you want to hear a great version of this, and don't want the 5.1 coming out, this is the one to get. Of course, I'll be getting the new 5.1 version as well......

Just wanted to share this.....can't believe it took me 40 years to find a version I like the sound of!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I'm looking forward to Jakko's 5.1 (and, presumably, new stereo) remixes. I hope that the "new" bits and pieces are indeed new and not just outtakes that have already appeared on previous deluxe editions of BSS.
    So, this release will have a different mastering job? I had the Shout! Factory CD, and have the Shout! Factory vinyl. The sound on both is crappy.

BSS was the 1st prog album I ever bought! I was 15 yrs old back in '75 and was just flipping through the albums when I saw the Giger cover and the name of the album and I was hooked. I knew of ELP because of hearing Lucky Man on the radio and I had seen commercials for the TV broadcast of California Jam which showed Keith in his flying piano, so I knew a little bit about them but wasn't prepared for BSS which blew me away! I must've listened to it all day, every day for a couple months then I bought Welcome Back My Friends...that was an ELP summer for sure
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Oh the memories! I saw both the BSS tour and the Welcome Back tour here in Atlanta. Those were the days!!

Something happened recently that I wasn't expecting: I started coming around to ELP. I think it's this album that's "doing it" for me. Something about the bombasticity (and skill) of the playing and the ADD-ness of the writing and the tasty soloing. The vaudeville crap still sucks though. Cool album overall, though.
    flute juice

I listened to this again not too long ago. After all these years the album still sounds way ahead of it's time.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    There was a dick on the cover aiming right for the woman's mouth but H.R. was forced to airbrush it into a glowing... well, still a dick, really.
    Makes sense. I heard somewhere that "brain salad surgery" is a term the band(or somebody) used to refer to oral sex.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Makes sense. I heard somewhere that "brain salad surgery" is a term the band(or somebody) used to refer to oral sex.
    Brain Salad Surgery was a phrase in the Dr. John song Right Place Wrong Time.

Here is some info from Neil Wilkes who is authoring the DVD and was posted on the QuadraphonicQuad forum.

To straighten the3 content issues out for all who are curious, here's what I am allowed to tell you at this point.

2013 Jakko Stereo Remix - 24/96 MLP Lossless & PCM
    2013 Jakko 5.1 Remix - 24/96 MLP Lossless, Dolby Digital, DTS 9624
    Original Stereo mix 2013 Remaster - 24/96 PCM & possibly MLP Lossless, depending on space available to me.
    Browseable galleries will also accompany the MLP streams.

More info as & when I am cleared to provide it but I can say that Andy Pearce has done a great job of the remaster - very sensitively done - and this is something I do not ever say lightly.