Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shout out for new albums by old artists

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Indeed, I dig it. Also some new, or at least newish, stuff by some other old guys:

DEEP PURPLE - Rapture of the Deep
    AEROSMITH - Music From Another Dimension
    ROLLING STONES - Doom & Gloom single
    THE WHO - Endless Wire
    ZZ TOP - La Futura
    LYNERD SKYNERD - Last Of A Dying Breed
    MOLLY HATCHET -Justice
    SCORPIONS - Sting In The Tail
    DOOBIE BROS - World Gone Crazy
    UFO - Seven Deadly
    JO JO GUNNE - Big Chain
    WHITESNAKE - Forevermore
    PETER FRAMPTON - Thank You Mr. Churchill
    NAZARETH - Big Dogz
    ROBIN TROWER - The Playful Heart
    TED NUGENT - Love Grenade
    Are you saying that you like Music From Another Dimension? If so, I do too. I just haven't played it in a while cause I got more new cds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Although it has been a while I think their last studio album of new material "Cyclorama" ranked right up with the best stuff the band has done. I love the album.

Steve Sly
    I feel the same way. My only grip is that they should've ditched the Billy Bob Thorton song. I like it, but I just wanted a few more Larry songs.

Thomas Dolby's Map of the Floating City was possibly the best album of 2011. And it's probably his best album ever.

There are artists out there who are still very interesting. Most, however, are not.

Here are some thoughts.

1. Why aren't my favorite bands as good as they were?

Because they aren't. You'll have to get over it. Yes's Fly From Here was adequate, but it's no Close to the Edge. Why? Well, because these guys have already given their best. It's that simple. Go write a song yourself. Then write another one. And another. And another. At one point, there's an end. I like Yes, even nowadays, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to do what they did back in 1972. The thing is not to lament their current form, but to embrace what they already achieved.

2. Why do people want just the old stuff?

They don't. The old stuff is just what they know, and if they like the band, that's what they'll be going for. But I know of very few progressive rock fans who aren't willing to listen to new material. There'll be a caveat, though: the new stuff should be good, too. In general, it very often isn't. See 1.

3. Why are all the old bands repeating themselves?

Hasn't that been answered yet? Because they think it sells. Because that's always worked for them. Because they've run out of ideas. All these things, I suspect. It's also because they never realized why exactly their successful stuff was, actually, successful - as such, it's a formula they can blindly repeat, but not reinvent. And, of course, rule 2 sets in: they repeat themselves because that's what their fans seem to want. A bit of a vicious circle, really.

There have always been bands that continue to change. King Crimson was one of the best examples. Nowadays, Van der Graaf Generator springs to mind. And there have always been bands that simply continue to be interesting on more or less the same footing, such as Magma. By and large, though, you can't reasonably expect a band to be both what it was in, say, the 70's, and different now, and equally good in both eras.

"Audiences want the well-known songs and don't want new albums,", the OP said. I don't think that's true at all. I think they'll settle for the old, just because the new isn't all that great.

In the end, it's why music progresses.
    Last edited by Andrathion; 12-07-2012 at 12:45 AM.

I've only Echoes by Pink Floyd to judge their final release but apart from High Hopes it seems pretty poor material. Genesis' Calling All Stations would perhaps have been far more successful had it been released now as it seems more like modern day Marillion and It Bites as well as Porcupine Tree circa Lightbulb Sun. Yes recent release sounded better than anything they've done in a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrathion View Post
    Thomas Dolby's Map of the Floating City was possibly the best album of 2011. And it's probably his best album ever.
    Nothing will ever beat The Golden Age of Wireless for me, but I'll definitely put MotFC at #2.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Well, the latest album by Bap, a group I bought the first albums in the 80's, is better (more mature) than the old albums I have on vinyl.
    Heinz Rudolf Kunze is an artist I just discovered a few years ago and his latest stuff is at least as good as his early stuff.
    I have to admit, both artists are not prog.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I recently picked up Hackett's most recent two releases, including BtSH, and both are very very good, imo. In fact, I think Hackett has been on quite a roll since about Darktown.
    Darktown is just effin amazing!!!!!!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Man, isn't this all subjective? I thought Fly from Here was awful. .
    The album sounds like an incredibly overused formula to create stale progressive rock where cliches abound and originality is devoid. If others want to hear more Yes, the more power to you. I'll would likely buy a new release out of blind loyality and play it once or twice and then leave it in the collection.

There are lots of examples, already mentioned, where older bands release stellar material. King Crimson and TPtB is the best example.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-08-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I feel the same way. My only grip is that they should've ditched the Billy Bob Thorton song. I like it, but I just wanted a few more Larry songs.
    Don't you mean gripe and not grip?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    There are lots of examples, already mentioned, where older bands release stellar material. King Crimson and TPtB is the best example.
    Well, as ever, different people have different tastes because I can think of many far better examples than the decline of Crimson's last few albums!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The dB's, Falling Off The Sky
    Little Feat, Rooster Rag
    Bonnie Raitt, Slipsteam
    Joe Walsh, Analog Man
    Heart, Fanatic
    Dead Can Dance, Anastasis
    Focus, X
    Mickey Dolenz, Remember
    Donald Fagen, Sunken Condos
    Alvin Lee, Still On The Road To Freedom
    Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas
    Oregon, Family Tree
    Dr. John, Locked Down
    America, Back Pages
    Glen Campbell, Ghost On The Canvas
    Booker T. Jones, The Road From Memphis
    Paul Simon, So Beautiful or So What
    Robbie Robertson, How To Become Clairvoyant
    Uriah Heep, Into The Wild
    The Smithereens, 2011

To name a few from the past couple of years

Totally forgot about Hunter. Yea, I agree his last 3 have all been excellent.

Steve Sly
    I saw Ian Hunter last night in Toronto. What a great performance! The voice is in terrific shape and the songs off of When I'm President were excellent, especially the title track. It was nice to see someone who feels compelled to perform for the love of it. It was really small venue, Lee's Palace, maybe 500 enthusiastic people. I'm buying the new album next week.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth8446 View Post
    I saw Ian Hunter last night in Toronto.
    Don't know how I forgot Ian!

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Styx pretty much HAVE stopped, though.
    Used to listen to Styx up until Kilroy. Went to their site, and much to my surprise, they are still touring. Don't know about recording. The sad thing is that their band page doesn't mention Dennis DeYoung. They may hate him but at least acknowledge his existence. He did write most of your songs.

Anyway, back to the original thread, some of the old guys can still bring it. Just don't expect them to match their career best and you are good to go. Some that I find their new releases enjoyable are, Steve Hackett, Tony Banks, Doobie Brothers, David Gilmour (another one please), Peter Gabriel. Elton John as released a handful of very good albums since 2000 with another coming in February. Yes FFH was OK. Tangerine dream has some very good tracks scattered among the half dozen releases they make EACH year!

Loved "Fly From Here" but was very disapointed with "Endless Wire".

Steve Sly
    FFH is not bad. Nothing new, of course, kind of crossover album for them. Like a mix of Yes with Asia. Not bad, but not great either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Glen Campbell, Ghost On The Canvas
    How is it?

Quote Originally Posted by I
    Now, as far as I know, Fly from Here sold pretty well and the label are keen on a new release, and Yes are working on a new album
    Latest radio interview with Geoff Downes confirms Yes recording next year.

Henry

Fish's "13th Star". The album is several years old by now but it's his most recent studio album.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    How is it?
    Really good, and he dared to build a concept album around his struggle with Alzheimer's. The version of Guided by Voices "Hold On Hope" will choke you up...Parts are still quite uplifting, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    How is it?
    Poignant, moving... sad to realize it's his last

The title track written by one Paul Westerberg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Howler Monkey View Post
    Don't you mean gripe and not grip?
    Yes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Latest radio interview with Geoff Downes confirms Yes recording next year.

Henry
    I'll believe that when I hear it. It seemed like FFH came out a long time after Yes announced that they wanted to record a new album. Wasn't it stated in several interviews that was the purpose of hiring Benoit? Of course, many things(like the Asia Omega album and tour, and Chris's leg surgery) got in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I'll believe that when I hear it. It seemed like FFH came out a long time after Yes announced that they wanted to record a new album. Wasn't it stated in several interviews that was the purpose of hiring Benoit? Of course, many things(like the Asia Omega album and tour, and Chris's leg surgery) got in the way.
    David was hired initially to tour and I don't recall the band saying otherwise. There was vague talk of doing an album at some point for some time, but serious work towards a new album began In late 2009, with writing through 2010, and then into the studio late 2010.

The question now is where are we in that cycle? I'd guess we're at the equivalent of autumn 2010, which would imply a release in autumn 2013.

Henry