Thread: Paul Weller - Wild Wood

Paul Weller - Wild Wood

Hard to believe this was 20 years ago (this fall) that Weller's best album was released...

I'd lost sight of him back then, because Style Coucil was definitely not my thing, though The Jam's last albums (The Gift especially) were among the better "new wave" (can't call The Jam "punk" in those years)albums of the times (Gift even had a certain Madness twist to it)

Anyway, when I first heard this at my local rock café in the Ardennes, a few days after it was released, it was love at first listen.... Funny thing is that I've never found the same feeling, whether his first solo or the next few ones

any thoughts about Wild Wood??

Never heard og this live album, though: how's the sound??
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...ler/live_wood/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

OK, I guess Id better include a YT link then....

MELLOTRON alert

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I adore this album, and yes it is very hard to believe 20 years has flown by in between. I can still locate myself to the day I bought it and many situations in those years where kicked back and I listened to it, a truly great album.

I think there have been some other high spots in his personal solo catalogue though, and have a lot of time for the first album too. Many people quote Stanley Road as his high water mark, but it's never been my favourite. Of the more recent albums 22 Dreams is really worth hearing, it harks back to the Wildwood days to my ears. I do love the Days Of Speed live collection too.

I don't have Live Wood but it is an official release and so I am sure sound quality would be fine. I'm not sure why I missed it, as I am a bit of a Weller fan from his Jam days onwards. I missed much of the Style Council, after the first two (introducing and Cafe Bleu) but did pick up a box set of them all recently as it was so damn cheap!

I have seen Live Wood in the racks many times over the years, just never picked it up, but may do now as have been on quite a Weller solo kick this past summer.

Fantastic record! Weller's best and one of the best records released in the '90s.