Thread: "Country-rock" today

"Country-rock" today

"What hath guys like The Byrds, Poco, Gram Parsons, The Eagles, et al wrought?"

I'm sure the label's definition has changed since the 70s, but who might be carrying that torch now? (possibly without even realizing it)

I think there is a fundamental problem with using the term "country rock" nowadays, simply because so many rock bands use bits of country and so many country bands use rock and they all do it without the slightest intention of being considered country rock bands. My point being that there has been so much cross fertilization that IMO country rock no longer exists as an identifiable style of music. But that's just me. I hear harder types of country music HW3 and I also hear folky countryish pop bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    "What hath guys like The Byrds, Poco, Gram Parsons, The Eagles, et al wrought?"

I'm sure the label's definition has changed since the 70s, but who might be carrying that torch now? (possibly without even realizing it)

You may want to look into the Alternative Country, or Alt Country, sub-genre. Not all "Alt Country" bands have that sound, but some carry on the Country-Rock torch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ntry_musicians

They're still out there but those acts only get airplay on indie radio stations and NPR. Never, never, never on country radio.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Well, EmmyLou Harris is still around, and recorded a new album with Rodney Crowell, which isn't too bad. http://www.amazon.com/Old-Yellow-Moo...rodney+crowell

Alabama Shakes--odd mixture, I think they lean closer to maybe blues/soul or something, but there's something interesting there: http://www.amazon.com/Alabama-Shakes...ding=UTF8&sn=d

Steve Earle, he's been around for a while now. http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Earle/e/...4621968&sr=1-1

But of the bands you listed, I have to admit I'm coming up a little blank for that brand of country rock.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Marty Stuart is still working in that general area (among others). He also gets bonus points for playing Clarence White's original b-bender Telecaster.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Check out the Avett Brothers.

Houndmouth. The guy has kind of a Levon Helm thing going on the vox. And the gal, well she can marry me any day.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart