Thread: Trip Hop

Trip Hop

Any fans? I've started to get into the genre, specifically artists who incorporate Jazz and Swing. Here are a few favorites -

Kid Koala, amazing to watch live,

Free the Robots

Mr. Scruff

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Is Portishead considered trip-hop? I like them. I didn't care for 'Free the Robots' or 'Mr. Scruff' but I like that Kid Koala stuff quite a bit. I saw a documentary about turn-tabling. I came away recognizing that it's a legitimate artform. Most of the cats in the doc were totally dedicated to the craft and pushing boundaries; that's very admirable. Once I got past grimacing over watching the guys break every 'rule' I was ever taught about handling vinyl, then it was actually pretty impressive.
    Last edited by davis; 11-14-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Is Portishead considered trip-hop?
    Oh God yea, Portishead is well acknowledged one of the very first trip hop bands. Massive Attack were one of the founding bands. Early stuff by both those bands is good. Those and other bands came out of Bristol where trip hop started.

why is it called 'trip hop'? as opposed I guess to hip-hop

John Martyn was a big influence on Portishead.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I love Portishead and Massive Attack, but I haven't really explored any other bands in that general style. Actually, that's not completely true: I did try to get into some of Tricky's solo material but found it boring.

Another one to add here is Goldie.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Another one to add here is Goldie.

Listening now. I like this. Wish there was a simple way to "Thumbs Up" a post!

Goldie is AFAIK not something you could call hiphop. He is a drum&bass producer who stepped out of that mold and incorporated other stuff, mostly orchestral / classical influences in his music. Triphop is a much more laidback / darker style od music. Influences by hiphop, reggae, dub, jazz, soul abound here. Usually a smokey almost film noir kind of atmosphere. Portishead and Massive Attack were the early stars of that style but soon looked beyond its confines while everyone else was trying to jump on the bandwagon. Massive Attack's Mezzanine album included rock sounds into the music, Portishead went for more muscular electronic sounds on their Third album.

For me personally the ultimate triphop album became Archive's Controlling Crowds. Here you have electronic sounds, orchestral arrangements, creative rhythms that are an amalgam of real drums and programmed parts, vocals that range from soulful to indierock type to some very clever rapping.

here! in hindsight, trip hop and drum&bass were the only “new” musical genres that interested me in the 1990s.

Christain said
    For me personally the ultimate triphop album became Archive's Controlling Crowds. Here you have electronic sounds, orchestral arrangements, creative rhythms that are an amalgam of real drums and programmed parts, vocals that range from soulful to indierock type to some very clever rapping.
    Exactly what I am looking for. Listening now and enjoying. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Goldie is AFAIK not something you could call hiphop. He is a drum&bass producer who stepped out of that mold and incorporated other stuff, mostly orchestral / classical influences in his music. Triphop is a much more laidback / darker style od music. Influences by hiphop, reggae, dub, jazz, soul abound here. Usually a smokey almost film noir kind of atmosphere.
    I'd agree about Goldie... but AAMOF, there isn't much of YT samples so far on this topic that I'd call trip hop.... at least on what I consider Trip Hop being

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Portishead and Massive Attack were the early stars of that style but soon looked beyond its confines while everyone else was trying to jump on the bandwagon. Massive Attack's Mezzanine album included rock sounds into the music, Portishead went for more muscular electronic sounds on their Third album.

You've mentioned the three acts that typifies what I call Trip Hop
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Would Jagga Jazzist be considered trip hop?

Bonobo?

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Would Jagga Jazzist be considered trip hop?
    Acid jazz or Nu-jazz, I wouold say

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Bonobo?
    That's not too far away from what I consider trip hop, so I'd say yes (for all that's worth)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Not sure if all of these below qualify as 100% in the genre - but are amongst my new favorites.

Incredible trip-hop band from Toronto . . .

You know I'm heavily into this genre - as it crosses downtempo, jazz, ambient, electronica - - - have fun ! ! !

I'm working with a female vocalist here on a project exactly up this alley.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    You know I'm heavily into this genre - as it crosses downtempo, jazz, ambient, electronica - - - have fun ! ! !

I'm working with a female vocalist here on a project exactly up this alley.
    I was just about to ask if any of these bands in this genre DON'T have a dreamy female vocalist - maybe just instrumental?

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I was just about to ask if any of these bands in this genre DON'T have a dreamy female vocalist - maybe just instrumental?
    I'm not really into the "dreamy" female vocalist, preferring traditional Jazz and Soul. Regardless, the samples you put up Josef are cool!

Portishead & Sneaker Pimps were focused around female vocals - where as Massive Attack and Tricky were bringing in guest vocalists (male and female). The genre is constantly evolving though - - - but it sort of started around the "female" front-man performance aspect - so many bands that followed copied the structure (imitation is the best flattery I guess)

BTW - Tricky's new album (False Idols) is fucking excellent -too bad he had to can his US tour - visa issues I guess, not sure.

Yeah - when we were looking for musical ideas for this project that fit into the genre - these were our initial picks. I have TONS of others too - will post more tomorrow. This girl I'm working with has an excellent voice - cuts right through the mix.

~JK
    Last edited by WHORG; 11-17-2013 at 10:05 AM.