Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YES 90125 Released 30 Years Ago This Week

YES 90125 Released 30 Years Ago This Week

wow 30 years ago! did it stand the test of time? did it bring new fans to the Yes front? was it all a waste of time?

Yep/ Yep/ Nope. Iconic and legitimately great album that holds up imho, even if it's by virtually a different band than the one that did Fragile, Tales and Relayer. It certainly did its share of damage to Yes's future though.

I think it still sounds amazing today. One of a kind, though, as Yes' subsequent efforts would show.

I did a thread a few weeks back on the 30th anniversary of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" (I guess the single came out before the album), and I still wonder how many of the wave of fans who came in with that song/album are still around. I'm one of them. "Owner" was my introduction to Yes, and Yes was my introduction to prog.

I still love 90125 to this day. Of the three full Rabin albums, I prefer Talk, though I think 90125 has aged better than Big Generator.

Yeah, a great album & glad they opted to use the name YES as opposed to CINEMA. My only gripe was that the intro to OOALH was omitted , the one they played live!

I think it's a great album too! It blew me away when it first came out... and I was already a long time fan of "classic" Yes. It may have been much more pop oriented, but I think it's proggier than anything Genesis did after Duke. And I don't care what anybody says; I think Trevor Rabin is a major talent who brought much to the table.

Too bad they couldn't top it. I like the rest of Yes West's output well enough, but none of it lives up to the promise of 90125 imo.

This album is great. Never knew of Yes until the video for "Owner" was on MTV.

Their next release was ok. Those two, along with a greatest hits, is all my collection can handle for Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    This album is great. Never knew of Yes until the video for "Owner" was on MTV.

Their next release was ok. Those two, along with a greatest hits, is all my collection can handle for Yes.
    You're here why?

(just kidding )

Completely agree with you all. Great great album. Good-to-great songs, great production, great sequencing. So cutting-edge for 1983. Played it to death back in the day. I admit by '86 or so I was totally burned out on it and never put it on for many years. But I bought the Rhino cd in '02 or '03 and have been on a steady diet of 90125 ever since.

For me, it fits right in there quality-wise with the "big 6", i.e., TYA through G4T1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    My only gripe was that the intro to OOALH was omitted , the one they played live!
    That's actually part of a different song called "Make It Easy," which was recorded during the initial Cinema sessions but not used for 90125. It appears on the Yesyears boxed set. The rest of the song is okay, but not nearly as good as the snippet used for the live intro to OOALH.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    That's actually part of a different song called "Make It Easy," which was recorded during the initial Cinema sessions but not used for 90125. It appears on the Yesyears boxed set. The rest of the song is okay, but not nearly as good as the snippet used for the live intro to OOALH.
    It's also on the Rhino reissue of 90125.

Never liked "Owner" but I thought it was interesting to hear how Yes changed from Roundabout to OOALH. After years of reading positive reviews I decided to get the album (that was about 10 years ago) because I felt I must be missing something. Well, I hated it. Got rid of it a month or so later.

I love it from start to finish and do hope Steven Wilson will do a surround mix of it! Imagine the vocal harmonies...
    I was already listening to Genesis in 1983 (not only the then contemporary stuff, but the "really really old stuff" like Foxtrot) and I knew there was this other band, Yes, that also must be quite good. So I bought from the used records bin 90125 and Tales from Topographic Oceans - probably on the same day - and I liked both!

Really like 90125, even today. Old enough to already have had all of their big albums of the 70's. Drama is excellent too. The musical landscape had changed and 90125 production was cutting edge at the time. It brought a group that was done, back to the mountaintop. I can't say that I'm thrilled with much of their music afterwards, but most all of their albums have a least some good songs IMHO. So I'm glad they called it Yes and continued on.

Its on my play list for today! Time to revisit this 80's Classic!

90125 celebrates its 40th anniversary!

I wrote a lengthy review of the album: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-yes-90125-1983/
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I definitely knew who they were before it came out in part because my dad owned a vinyl copy of TYA but 90125 was the first one I bought and got into and the one that made me a lifelong fan. Sure it's different than what came before it but it still holds up as a great rock album with some prog elements. It should be judged and appreciated for what it is and not what's it's not.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^ Great review!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ^^ Great review!
    Thanks!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

40 freakin’ years. Holy crap! I just played my cd of this album a few weeks ago. I was ambivalent about it when it came out. Partly I enjoyed the music and was happy to see yes back again, but part of me wished it was The Yes Album style music or Fragile. I knew I wouldn’t hear Close to the Edge. I love it far more today than I did when it was released. I’ve grown to enjoy it for what it is rather than judging it for what it wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a different direction for the band, but I still loved it. Saw the tour twice. Doesn't seem like 40 years ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Completely agree with you all. Great great album...
    Well I am happy to report that I still like it as much as I did 10 years ago!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yep/ Yep/ Nope. Iconic and legitimately great album that holds up imho, even if it's by virtually a different band than the one that did Fragile, Tales and Relayer. It certainly did its share of damage to Yes's future though.
    I miss this guy

The eons are closing
    I bought this on cassette along with Classic Yes from the El Cortes Ingles superstore near the Plaza del Sol in Madrid in Summer 84.

Ahhhh the memories...
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    90125 celebrates its 40th anniversary!

I wrote a lengthy review of the album: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-yes-90125-1983/
    Wow. 40 years. Where does the time go....

Great review!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally