Thread: "Will you forgive me?"- "Mmm ..yes." "Cheeky bitch"

"Will you forgive me?"- "Mmm ..yes." "Cheeky bitch"

White Album thread got me thinking of odd/ barely audible speech tossed into musical recordings.
    I recall hearing some in Yes' "It Can Happen" somewhere in the middle of the song. Something like- "Now, now...(inaudible)..." And another in Zebra's "Who's Behind the Door".

There's a fair amount of that sort of thing on Hendrix's albums. Towards the end of "Spanish Castle Magic," you can hear him say, "I can't sing this song."

"It Can Happen"'s bit is from "The Importance of Being Earnest."

Let's not forget "The Queen says no to pot-smoking CIA agents" at the beginning of the Beatles' "For You Blue."

Traffic's Dear Mr. Fantasy album has "I mean jazz" in between all the songs.
    If you have a manual turntable, you can hear on James Gang-Yer Album:
    Turn Me Over after side one and Play Me Again at the end of side two.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "It Can Happen"'s bit is from "The Importance of Being Earnest."
    Anyone have the full quote from this?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Anyone have the full quote from this?

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/844/844-h/844-h.htm

The first one at 3:14 - 3:19 is:

Come, old boy, you had much better have the thing out at once.

The second one at 3:25 - 3:30 is:

Well, that is exactly what dentists always do. Now, go on! Tell me the whole thing.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Don't forget The Wall:

"...where we came in?" heard at the beginning

"Isn't this..." heard at the end

One of my favorite bits, actually, is in the middle of "The Great Gig in the Sky," something I'd always misheard and found amusing. As Clare Torry tones down the wailing and goes into the final stretch, it sounds like she's saying "I never sang THIS when I was dying," which I found funny. Turns out it's "I never said I was frightened of dying," and it's being said by someone else.

Thanks, Thomas! Always wondered about that one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Turn it up!"

--Sweet Home Alabama

cranberry sauce

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    "Turn it up!"

--Sweet Home Alabama
    Which wasn't even supposed to be on the track. That's apparently Ronnie Van Zandt telling the engineer turn up the backing track in his headphones during the vocal overdubbed, and Al Kooper decided to leave it in.

The OP mentioned Zebra's Who's Behind The Door, but there was another Zebra song, a ballad called Lullaby, which Randy Jackson wrote following John Lennon's assassination. I guess as a homage to the Sgt. Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour era, they inserted some voices, I think taken from a sound effects record during the guitar solo. You can hear someone talking, and a bit of shouting, but it's mixed in such a fashion you can't actually make out the words.

Similarly, there's that the coda section of the original version of Pretty In Pink, where Richard Butler is sort of talking, but it's mixed so you can't tell what he's saying. In fact, I read one interview where he was asked about it, and he said they did it that way deliberately so people will make up stories about what they think they're hearing him say (probably an effort to recreate the Louie Louie controversy, only this time the FBI didn't get involved).

As for The Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon, there's of course there's spoken word stuff all over those two albums, some of it very decipherable, some of it not. It was several years before I knew that bit at the very end of Eclipse was "There is not dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact it's all dark" (said by Gerry Driscoll who was the doorman at Abbey Road). I can remember trying to make out what it was on the LP, but it was mixed so low I couldn't figure it out. As I recall, after I owned that album for a few years, I was listening to a radio show one night where they played the Works compilation in it's entirety, which includes what appears to be a different mix of Brain Damage/Eclipse, with Gerry's line boosted in the mix so it's much clearer).

Reportedly, one of the actors heard on The Wall, I guess someone who was in one of the programs on the telly in Pink's hotel room, reportedly demanded a fee when he found his voice was being heard on a great big hit album.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Which wasn't even supposed to be on the track. That's apparently Ronnie Van Zandt telling the engineer turn up the backing track in his headphones during the vocal overdubbed, and Al Kooper decided to leave it in.
    Right... but it is