Page 107 of 129 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3220

Thread: Major League Baseball 2014 - Discussion

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    sadtrombone.com

I guess I root for the Royals now.

What a game!

Still have my adopted underdogs in the hunt!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

What a fuckin' game.

Man ...

I won't even start on the A's because this meltdown was epic and started from the top.

Royals speed may represent a turning point in how to win in today's MLB. When those cats get a leadoff guy on base, it's just beautiful to watch them execute.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I won't even start on the A's because this meltdown was epic and started from the top.
    Even though the pitch count wasn't too bad, can't fathom why you leave Lester in once Escobar steals 2nd. He tried to force another inning out of Lester. Oakland has specialty guys and 8th/9th inning guys. Of course, they sucked in the end, but this honestly a pretty amusing epic collapse from the A's over the last 6 weeks. And the irony is that they had a bitch of a time scoring runs for weeks, scored 9 and lost.

Oh well, they had their opportunities and should have never been in this WC game to begin with. I'll be rooting for the Royals, but the Angels are a hot team and not sure they have what it takes to cool them down over a series.

On to tonight's game. The fact that the Buccos had to trot Edinson Volquez out to start this game is auspicious to say the least!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    You fuckers in the east. A 3:37 Pm start time for the Dodgers and Cardinals on Friday? Expect shadows and strikeouts and no runs. Sheesh. then a 6:30 start on Saturday when UCLA will be starting at 7:30.
    Not thrilled with these either, I'll be in the air during the Friday game, will avoid the score and watch when I get in

Saturday is 9:30 for me, I'd rather have that one earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The fact that the Buccos had to trot Edinson Volquez out to start this game is auspicious to say the least!
    EV had a great September, but I agree Hurdle is going to be open to some 2nd guessing for not saving Cole for this one

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

You fuckers in the east. A 3:37 Pm start time for the Dodgers and Cardinals on Friday? Expect shadows and strikeouts and no runs. Sheesh. then a 6:30 start on Saturday when UCLA will be starting at 7:30. Just cause you bums in the east won't stay up until 2 am to watch your team. ;-)
    TV rules the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    ALL of my state teams made the playoffs.
    This is the reason the Orioles let Jeter hit the ball the other night.
    That state must be the state of denial.

Machado would of had that one.
    Would of?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

That was a hell of a game. Anyone who says baseball is boring just isn't watching.

I agree with Jeff about that HR call.

The A's were the only AL team I was comfortable rooting for, but still would like to see the Pirates go all the way. I just wish the local fans stuck with them during their losing years. I have a neighbor who, just this morning, said, "I'm glad I'm a baseball fan again." That's not the way it should be. That's not a baseball fan. That's a bandwagon fan. They don't abandon the Steelers when they suck.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's not a baseball fan. That's a bandwagon fan.
    True. Fair weather fans make up a sizable portion of of any sport, but in defense of Bucs followers, one can say that the team and ownership abandoned the fans for many years. In fact, it's funny that both the Royals and Pirates are in this position as a few years ago they were getting commonly criticized for both being "profitable losers", embracing a philosophy of a profitable franchise for owners while keeping team salary very low and not realistically competing.

Even these last two-three seasons, one can argue the Pirates have become overly hesitant to trade away even one promising young prospect or spending that $10 million to get that one person or pair at the deadline that can make an impact. If the Pirates were to get to the WS, it would be by pure moxie. They are not a bad team at all, but knowing their competition is the likes of the Dodgers, Nationals, and Cardinals, they aren't adequately prepared to engage any of those clubs in a long series.

While they got a surprise season out of Josh Harrison, they are left having to play the likes of Travis Snider and Ike Davis when last season at this time, they at least had Marlon Byrd and Justin Morneau (who had a great season in Rockiesville btw).

In a single game, anything can happen though (case in point last night). I like the Pirates' chances.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^ All true. I wonder how many of those fair-weather fans voted against stadium funding and conveniently ignore that fact now that they're winning.

Good luck to the Bucs. The town is a-buzzing.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That was a hell of a game. Anyone who says baseball is boring just isn't watching.
    I agree with Jeff about that HR call.
    Both of his HR calls were awful. ESPN has tonight's game. Congrat's to the Royals, what a game indeed !! And all the smart guys were expecting something like 1-0. Not one instant replay review/challenge during the entire 4+ hour game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Both of his HR calls were awful. ESPN has tonight's game.
    Oh, great, we get to hear the ESPN guys talk about everything except the game.

It'll be interesting to hear them squeeze some Jeter talk into the game.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Compared to Ernie Johnson (how the hell does he keep his gig?), who is every bit as abysmal when it comes to basketball, the ESPN coven of babbling buffoons become Vin Scully, Jack (not Joe) Buck, Mel Allen, Russ Hodges & Harry Caray.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Compared to Ernie Johnson (how the hell does he keep his gig?), who is every bit as abysmal when it comes to basketball, the ESPN coven of babbling buffoons become Vin Scully, Jack (not Joe) Buck, Mel Allen, Russ Hodges & Harry Caray.
    Joe Buck, the Ted Baxter of sports broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    True. Fair weather fans make up a sizable portion of of any sport, but in defense of Bucs followers, one can say that the team and ownership abandoned the fans for many years. In fact, it's funny that both the Royals and Pirates are in this position as a few years ago they were getting commonly criticized for both being "profitable losers", embracing a philosophy of a profitable franchise for owners while keeping team salary very low and not realistically competing.

Even these last two-three seasons, one can argue the Pirates have become overly hesitant to trade away even one promising young prospect or spending that $10 million to get that one person or pair at the deadline that can make an impact. If the Pirates were to get to the WS, it would be by pure moxie. They are not a bad team at all, but knowing their competition is the likes of the Dodgers, Nationals, and Cardinals, they aren't adequately prepared to engage any of those clubs in a long series.

While they got a surprise season out of Josh Harrison, they are left having to play the likes of Travis Snider and Ike Davis when last season at this time, they at least had Marlon Byrd and Justin Morneau (who had a great season in Rockiesville btw).

In a single game, anything can happen though (case in point last night). I like the Pirates' chances.
    They beat the Dodgers 5 out 7 this year and I know that reg season vs playoffs are different animals but that got my attention. Certainly a team that is dangerous.

I love it:

Suzanne Muldowney does "performance art' in parades on the east coast. she is eccentric to say the least but probably harmless.

I remember watching her years ago thinking she was nuttier than a fruitcake.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    You fuckers in the east. A 3:37 Pm start time for the Dodgers and Cardinals on Friday?
    Yeah, it's our fault there's a baseball game on TV while we're at work.

You work past 6:30 PM? That time is PDT. Sorry, I didn't convert it to eastern time for you like the networks do. Switch it around, Dave! There will be a game in LA when most of LA is at work. On top of it the shadows from 3:30 to 6:00 are going to make Wainwright and Kershaw even more unhitable. Then the Saturday game is at 6:30 PM when both USC and UCLA football games start at 7:30 and both teams are home. It just sucks for sports fans here.

In what world is a team that went 96-66 and will have home field advantage until they get to LA considered an underdog?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    In what world is a team that went 96-66 and will have home field advantage until they get to LA considered an underdog?
    They have home field up to the World Series. They had a two game better record than the Dodgers. They aren't Underdogs to me. I saw them play up close and personal against the Dodgers in game neither team will likely forget. But even still there are still some very good teams in this mix. It is going to be a heck of a playoffs and I don't see a clear cut winner.

They have home field up to the World Series. They had a two game better record than the Dodgers. They aren't Underdogs to me. I saw them play up close and personal against the Dodgers in game neither team will likely forget. But even still there are still some very good teams in this mix. It is going to be a heck of a playoffs and I don't see a clear cut winner.
    I think he meant the O's, not the Gnats : )

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Who picks them to win anything. They will not have to play a game west of Kansas City.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/mlb-...mlb-topstories

Take solace Oakland fans, plenty of more Raiders games to be enjoyed!

BG

Did they both have the same record? Wow figure that. I still don't think of the Angels as "LA". LOL