Page 3 of 129 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball 2014 - Discussion

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll take Maddux, Glavine and Piazza. All the steroid guys have zero chance.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Armando Benitez???

Any reason why Maddux doesn't get in first time is a bullshit reason.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I think the one candidate we can all agree on is Tony LaRussa, unfortunately he isn't up yet

And then there's this

http://thecardinalnationblog.com/201...ring-cheaters/

Word

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I think the one candidate we can all agree on is Tony LaRussa, unfortunately he isn't up yet
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

As much as I hate it, Mattingly is out of the running. I don't see Palmeiro going anywhere under that cloud of steroid use.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm a Brewers fan (yeah, yeah I know) and a former Braun fan, but unless he buries his hubris and becomes a hell of a lot more forthcoming and contrite, he'll never win back the fans.

Goodbye Cooperstown, dude.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Agree with both of the previous two posts.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

From the Huffington Post....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lincol...orts&ir=Sports

"Journalists and others are likely to be less critical of the Cardinals because, well, they're the Cardinals"

Right!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

From the Huffington Post....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lincol...orts&ir=Sports

"Journalists and others are likely to be less critical of the Cardinals because, well, they're the Cardinals"

Right!

BG
    And the following sentence for a little more context:

If the Yankees or Dodgers, for example, had been the team signing Peralta, the reaction from the media would almost certainly have been very different.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

If the Yankees or Dodgers, for example, had been the team signing Peralta, the reaction from the media would almost certainly have been very different.
    Rightfully so

This dude gets it!

BG

I think it's completely understandable why players and others would be upset at the Peralta signing. The guy was freshly suspended, but got to contribute in the playoffs. Then he gets a fantastic AAV deal week later. It sends a message that suspension is not a blacklist by any means. I'm sure there are many managers/owners that would drool at the opportunity to snap Ryan Braun up (since it may be tough going for him in Brewtown), look the other way about his tainted history, and cash in when the guy hits 30/100 next season.

The business of baseball trumps most most everything else. And winning trumps all.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    winning trumps all.
    Just like the pinkie ring says!

20131201_125518.jpg

Rightfully so

This dude gets it!

BG

Could not disagree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Could not disagree more.
    The doctrine started with LaRussa, and the "Cardinal Way" has generally become accepted over the last couple of years as a textbook definition of what baseball, (and sports in general) is supposed to be

It only stands to reason there would be a set a rules, (as well as a general perception), for us, and a different one for everybody else

That's my takeaway from the article!

BG

That's not what I meant, though I do think that the whole "Cardinal Way" and LaRussa are the most overrated thing in baseball. This coming from a Yankee hater.

The doctrine started with LaRussa, and the "Cardinal Way" has generally become accepted over the last couple of years as a textbook definition of what baseball, (and sports in general) is supposed to be

It only stands to reason there would be a set a rules, (as well as a general perception), for us, and a different one for everybody else

That's my takeaway from the article!

BG
    Of course that's your takeaway. But, your whole "us" thing about the Cards has biased your view of the rest of the league.

The "Cardinal Way." Total nonsense. That's like the Braves calling themselves "America's Team." It's completely self-absorbed.

Of course that's your takeaway. But, your whole "us" thing about the Cards has biased your view of the rest of the league.

The "Cardinal Way." Total nonsense. That's like the Braves calling themselves "America's Team." It's completely self-absorbed.
    QFT

Banned
    That's like the Braves calling themselves "America's Team." It's completely self-absorbed.
    Well they don't really call themselves that anymore, but when they did it was because of their increased popularity due to cable television/TBS, and it worked. I'll venture to guess that even to this day they have a larger nationwide fanbase than the NY Stankees.

The fact that they called themselves that at all is obnoxious enough.

Almost as obnoxious as that stupid tomahawk chop.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Almost as obnoxious as that stupid tomahawk chop.
    Coming from the guy who's team's mascot is this...

Last edited by Banquo; 12-01-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Well they don't really call themselves that anymore, but when they did it was because of their increased popularity due to cable television/TBS, and it worked. I'll venture to guess that even to this day they have a larger nationwide fanbase than the NY Stankees.
    If that were true then there would be lots of Braves fans in other teams parks when they play. That just is not the case. So if they get a few viewers to turn in to listen those horrible announcers on TBS that is not even comparable to the Yankees national fan base who do show up in numbers at other teams stadiums. The Braves can't even fill up their own stadium are we sure they are even Atlanta's team? BTW no Yankee fan here.

I hate the Yankees (no surprise to anyone in this thread), but it seems to me that a Yankees baseball cap worn with the brim off-kilter is an integral part of the urban playah's wardrobe all over the country.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    If that were true then there would be lots of Braves fans in other teams parks when they play. That's just is not the case.
    Really? Give me some examples. I've seen games in Shea, Yankee Stadium, Camden, Fenway, Philly, and there was always a strong Braves fan presence, especially in Baltimore.
    Last edited by Banquo; 12-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.

^Never see them in the West. Always see Yankees fans here whether in SD, Anaheim, SF, Oakland or LA. Boston fans too. Of NL teams only see Cubs and Cardinals fans in numbers in these stadiums. I mean other than NL or AL west fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Coming from the guy who's team's mascot is this...

Hey man, the Phanatic rules. BY FAR the best mascot in sports.