Page 2 of 129 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball 2014 - Discussion

That didn't take long - reports are Peralta will be in the fold

Didn't watch too many Cats games

Opinions?

Love it that we've got a new CF and SS without giving up any pitching

Still plenty of flexibility for more moves

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

McCann to the Yanks. Does that make El Oso Blanco the Braves catcher?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Initial reactions in the Loo are mixed

Juicer angle being played

So they've added a .300 hitter at SS and the best defensive CF in the majors according to some and still have 11 viable options for 5 starting spots

Hot stove is working for me

Just win baby

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

SIGH...must be nice to have a GM who knows what the fuck he's doing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Until the JP signing is official, I'd rate this as the best acquisition of the off-season

20131121_161116.jpg

BG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    McCann to the Yanks. Does that make El Oso Blanco the Braves catcher?
    I'm thinkin' that it does.

I'll be rooting for McCann, even if he's playing for Satan.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    That didn't take long - reports are Peralta will be in the fold

Didn't watch too many Cats games

Opinions?

BG
    Peralta is a free agent and speculation in Detroit has been that he would most likely not be re-signed, so his move to the cards not really a big surprise. He has been a solid player for the Tigers. I would not say he is a great 2nd baseman, but decent enough. He also played outfield on occasion. He was a very good clutch hitter for the most part. Of course he had to serve a 50 game suspension for steroids last year, so there is that……..

Steve Sly

Apparently, some players are pissed off at the owners for awarding Peralta for cheating.

David Aardsma: "Apparently getting suspended for PED's means you get a raise. What's stopping anyone from doing it? ... I had 2 major surgeries in 5 months and made it back clean, nothing pisses me off more than guys that cheat and get raises for doing so."

Brad Ziegler: "It pays to cheat … Thanks, owners, for encouraging PED use ... People really don't understand how this works. We thought 50 games would be a deterrent. Obviously it's not. So we are working on it again."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Saw that. They certainly have the right to say that, and there's truth in what they say. I dunno. I feel like he served his time. Why call out the owners at this point?

Why call out the owners at this point?
    Why the hell not??!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

What good is it going to do the guy calling the owners out? Now those two players have a reputation. Will it be difficult for them to get jobs in the future? Leave it to the pundits, bloggers and proggers to call out the owners.

Also, my condolences to Brian Griffin. I'm sorry to hear of your passing.

Unknown.jpg

Also, my condolences to Brian Griffin. I'm sorry to hear of your passing.

Unknown.jpg
    While it's fair to say a small pc of me died in game 6 of the WS, reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated

BG

What good is it going to do the guy calling the owners out? Now those two players have a reputation. Will it be difficult for them to get jobs in the future? Leave it to the pundits, bloggers and proggers to call out the owners.
    Sorry, but that's just nonsense. Bitching about the owners isn't going to have any effect on them getting contracts, if violating the drug policy doesn't. I think what they said took guts. And they were right. The owners are just as complicit as Selig, the players and the media.

If anyone will get pissed at those two, it will be their union comrades for hampering their ability to get the biggest contracts.

Then the media is also complicit. They knew.

And the managers, too. Good managers like Cox and LaRussa and Torre.

The networks? Yup, them too.

Oh. And the fans as well. We bought all the shit they were serving, so it's our faults as well. Hell, we are the reason that "chicks dig long balls" worked. And we bought tickets and jerseys and caps and didn't care.

That's why it's pointless. Where do you want the blame to stop? When will the punishment be severe enough to outweigh the allure? When will we stop watching because we know we shouldn't believe what we just saw?

Of course I want a clean game. I want stiffer penalties. But I'm not stupid, and I know guys will cheat, and I know the owners are greedy. If signing a cheater makes them more money and makes my team better, then what am I supposed to do? I can care. I can bitch about online. That doesn't do anything.

I guess I'd have to stop watching.

That's why it's pointless.

^ MLB hasn't gotten a penny out of me for the last 6 years. Partly because I'm pissed off at a great many things (PEDs, bloated salaries, etc.) but also because I've other expenses to worry about (2 young children, a mortgage, a 15 year old car). You get the idea. Part altruism - part necessity.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

That's why it's pointless.
    Well, I'm not looking to argue, but just because you feel it's pointless, doesn't necessarily make it so. Think of all the great change that has been brought onto the world because people didn't consider it pointless or futile, because others were doing it.

Even Lincoln was ambivalent toward ending slavery, but knew it was the right thing to do. I'm sure there were people telling him that was pointless, too.

Of course, we're only talking baseball here. But, the point stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    bloated salaries
    I know we've discussed this before, but I'll never understand why fans care about player salaries.

If you're going to relate it to ticket prices, okay, but otherwise, it just doesn't make sense to me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I know we've discussed this before, but I'll never understand why fans care about player salaries.

If you're going to relate it to ticket prices, okay, but otherwise, it just doesn't make sense to me.
    Yep, while they may be outrageous to some, how different are they to other entertainers who make many times more and work less? They seem to get a pass by many.

Well, there's that, plus the fact that sports are a huge, huge business. Between TV contracts, merchandise, video games, etc. there's a ton of money generated. As a fan, I really don't give a rip about the owners. In my perfect world, I don't even care if they make a profit - they should be in it to try to win. I root for the teams and the players. No one wears a jersey with the owner's name on it, and no one drafts an owner for their fantasy team. So, when I pay my money for a ticket, or for a sports package on my cable bill, I'd prefer the money go to the players.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a free-market capitalist. But I don't have to support it. And, quite frankly, I can't. My frustration encompasses all entertainers & executives, as well as members of government.

Now, if I were king, anyone making >$300,000, moves into a punitive tax bracket. A-rod, Tom Cruise, & Scott Boras, for examples, should be taxed in the 90% bracket. Add another "0" to your pay, means an additional 1%. Then they can continue to make as much money as possible.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I'd be more in favor of more incentive-laden contracts, personally. But I really have no issue with how things are now.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Sorry, but that's just nonsense. Bitching about the owners isn't going to have any effect on them getting contracts, if violating the drug policy doesn't. I think what they said took guts. And they were right. The owners are just as complicit as Selig, the players and the media.

If anyone will get pissed at those two, it will be their union comrades for hampering their ability to get the biggest contracts.
    As Mozeliak pointed out, it's not our job to be the morality police

JP did the crime and did his time, and I suspect it's those two narcs having sour grapes that the Cardinals don't have a need for them!

BG

... and, I'm really only half kidding on the above FWiW

One thing our pennant run made very clear to me is the fairly widespread hate there is for my beloved Redbirds, seemingly by fans and even some players alike

I don't understand it, (not in the top 10 team payrolls, 2nd in all of baseball attendance wise, best fans in baseball, etc) but fucking love it!

I suppose it comes down to winning too much, not only from those who you'd expect it from like Brandon Phillips, but guys like AJ Burnett and A Gon who were fairly public

From fans I enjoyed the blogs and twitter banter as well as some of the shit written on Deadspin for example

Hopefully our success in the coming years sucks every bit of enjoyment out of one the few areas of enjoyment in their otherwise miserable lives!

BG

Apparently the D-backs ARE the morality police

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...s-for-ped-guys

Anyone catch IT tonight?

Loved Chris Rose jumping all over Braun, and his arrogant display of "charity" earlier today

BG

Moises Alou, Jeff Bagwell, Armando Benitez, Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Sean Casey, Roger Clemens, Ray Durham, Eric Gagne, Tom Glavine, Luis Gonzalez, Jacque Jones, Todd Jones, Jeff Kent,Paul Lo Duca,
    Greg Maddux, Edgar Martinez, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Jack Morris, Mike Mussina, Hideo Nomo, Rafael Palmeiro, Mike Piazza, Tim Raines, Kenny Rogers, Curt Schilling, Richie Sexson, Lee Smith,
    J.T. Snow, Sammy Sosa, Frank Thomas, Mike Timlin, Alan Trammell & Larry Walker are all eligible for the 2014 HoF induction ceremony as per the folks that decide on such things (BBWAA).

Out of this list I pick -

Biggio, Glavine, Maddux, Mattingly, Palmeiro, Piazza, Raines, Schilling & Thomas.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973