Thread: That thng Geddy Lee does with his voice

That thng Geddy Lee does with his voice

On the more recent tours, that is. Where he forces a breath to achieve a "false falsetto". He does it all *over* the Time Machine tour. Is that still considered a falsetto? Is there a name for what he's doing now?
    As we all know, he's been doing falsettos for ages, but now he has to push to get the same notes. Age plays a part, no doubt, but he does that "push' thing so often now it's impossible to ignore.

Are there any video clips to demonstrate exactly what you are talking about?

Lee sang mixed very often. 'Mixed' is a vocal technique - half-falcetto, half-alto.

I never knew what to call it either but "false falsetto" is about as accurate a description as any. It's like he's pushing the air up from his throat instead of actually singing and forming the words.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Can someone post a clip?
    <sig out of order>

Yeah, I'm just not picturing what this is.

Right at around 0:31 when he sings "Writing out the day's events". When he says "writing" you hear it. He does this on & off all over the show.

Oh, the sort of yodel thing? Man, country stars make careers out of that. Yeah, I guess it's kind of hitting in falsetto and quickly breaking to chest voice. Probably just a breath support thing that gets more prominent as he gets older; he always did it somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    he always did it somewhat.
    He did. Just a lot more often lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Right at around 0:31 when he sings "Writing out the day's events". When he says "writing" you hear it. He does this on & off all over the show.
    Also at 2:45, "his mind is not for rent".
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I know what you're talking about. It's that "flip" between normal voice and falsetto. He's been doing that a lot over the past few years. A little too much in my opinion, but it's not the worst thing in the world. At least they cut down on the "Geddy choir" on CA.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thank God, at first I thought this thread was going to be about something like that thing John Snow does with his tongue!*

*Game of Thrones reference

Maybe Stephen Malkmus knows....;-)

I've heard Peter Gabriel do it since ever but not too excessively. Kevin Rowland of Dexy's Midnight Runners did it a lot. Also Elvis Costello. Also Dolores O'Riordan from The Cranberries overdoes it a bit on the song "Zombie".

If you're all talking about what I think you are, then Sarah McLachlan does it, too, I think.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I just watched the new Blu-Ray. I noticed his strange kind of howling, especcially in the second set. Didn't noticed it on earlier occassions. I can imagine that it's an easier way to reach high notes. He should save this kind of singing for full moon nights, if you ask me. Couldn't they do the same as Led Zeppelin did and transpose the songs to a lower, easier key?

You have a man, who's voice has changed. I would not want to guess the reason, age, health... but it's not getting better and this great singer is struggeling at times now and has not been capable of his amazing high range for some time. As a vocalist who covers a great deal of Geddy's work as well as Jon Anderson and Peter Gabriel, Robert Plant and a whole host of progressive rock vocalists I can say with some certainty that you are listening to what amounts to a Great Vocalist using every trick he has and every natural or falsetto voice or talent he can tap to get through an evening. His ability to get through a show is a testiment to his talent to this mans vocals strengths. I have had to find the lower harmony or lower octave when I have had trouble with my voice as well. It sucks, it is scarry and it must be hard for Geddy to get through a night with the crazy material he has set himself up to play.
    I think Geddy has produced to a live audience more high notes than any other famous singer in history...and for what its worth, I can't sing all of his work.... never could.. his highest register was an amazing thing in his day. Some of the very early work is beyond me for sure. But for the material I can sing, I can sing it really well....... I wish I could grab a mic and help him out.

Great band. Best Power Trio of all time.

Randy

Yeah. Singers with higher voices don't seem to age very well. How many whole steps did Genesis have to tune down to accommodate Phil's aging voice?
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post
    You have a man, who's voice has changed. I would not want to guess the reason, age, health... but it's not getting better and this great singer is struggeling at times now and has not been capable of his amazing high range for some time. As a vocalist who covers a great deal of Geddy's work as well as Jon Anderson and Peter Gabriel, Robert Plant and a whole host of progressive rock vocalists I can say with some certainty that you are listening to what amounts to a Great Vocalist using every trick he has and every natural or falsetto voice or talent he can tap to get through an evening. His ability to get through a show is a testiment to his talent to this mans vocals strengths. I have had to find the lower harmony or lower octave when I have had trouble with my voice as well. It sucks, it is scarry and it must be hard for Geddy to get through a night with the crazy material he has set himself up to play.
    I think Geddy has produced to a live audience more high notes than any other famous singer in history...and for what its worth, I can't sing all of his work.... never could.. his highest register was an amazing thing in his day. Some of the very early work is beyond me for sure. But for the material I can sing, I can sing it really well....... I wish I could grab a mic and help him out.

Great band. Best Power Trio of all time.

Randy
    Well said. There's no stopping time, but when I look at old footage or listen to the earlier stuff, & see how effortlessly he used to hit those notes, it's frustrating.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Well said. There's no stopping time, but when I look at old footage or listen to the earlier stuff, & see how effortlessly he used to hit those notes, it's frustrating.
    Nothing but admiration for Geddy Lee and his ongoing efforts to bring his best to performing Rush's back-catalog ... but I have to agree: time is especially unforgiving for singers who made a name for themselves in the upper register.

So NO disrespect or irony intended ...

Quote Originally Posted by ProgPariah77 View Post
    time is especially unforgiving for singers who made a name for themselves in the upper register.
    ]
    Exactly the song I had in mind.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just listened to those first two clips. I sort of think it's no trick, it's just the way the high notes come out when he sings them sometimes now. I'd guess he doesn't really want them to sound that way but they sometimes do. Not sure, but it doesn't really seem intentional to me.

Lots of singers do it, it's just that it is more prominent in some. For example, for obvious reaosns Slim Whitman used to do it, but he kept it "clean" by swallowing it into and sounding it as part of the following low note, rather than it being an obvious device between notes.

I'll tell you one long-established singer who still has it- Dennis DeYoung. Voice still sounds fantastic today.