Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Keneally Sluggo! Deluxe reissue!

Seems like it's not available as a plain CD without all the "Deluxe" stuff?

I don't believe so but the deluxe is worth it I believe.

I ordered the 1 cd 2 dvd version yesterday , looking forward to it.

Just had my first listen to the remix , from the mp3 download that came with it. All I can say is WOW! Even though he is so much more than a guitar player when you are talking about the extra special ones he has to be mentioned. The solo on Frozen Beef (Come With Me) is amazing. The playing by all on this album is brilliant.
    Last edited by bobert; 01-21-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Found this on bandcamp : http://triangleexception.bandcamp.co...k/hat-advocacy
    7 seconds well spent, for a noble cause.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 02-03-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Just want to echo what others have said here. This is really fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This is really fantastic!
    You mean to say if I buy this, I won't have to hit Mike on the big toe with a spoon?

well, he might still enjoy that, Reid
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Yeah, don't rule anything out!

Thank you all very much for getting the Sluggo reissue and having such cool things to say about it - it was a lengthy and serious project doing the remixes. It's a drag when a remix doesn't measure up to the original and I wanted to leave no doubt that this was an upgrade, so I'm pleased and relieved by the response! Happy to see good words for the bonus material and Mama Kin live disc as well. As far as physical media, yeah at the moment the new mix isn't available by itself on single-CD (it's available for download of course), but that's under discussion. Talking about a vinyl release also.

Thanks all!

chalkpie
    I saw this tour in NYC....Knitting Factory maybe?

Hey Mike, I downloaded Sluggo from iTunes. Excellent work man and the sound is tight. On your website it says the download comes with a digital booklet. Can't find it. Am I missing something?
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

If you'd ordered it from our site you'd have gotten the booklet - iTunes' version doesn't do that - sorry Stickleback. PM me.

Frank, yep I'm pretty sure our NYC Knitting Factory gig was 1998. I can check. Can't believe it's been so long!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    If you'd ordered it from our site you'd have gotten the booklet - iTunes' version doesn't do that - sorry Stickleback. PM me.

Frank, yep I'm pretty sure our NYC Knitting Factory gig was 1998. I can check. Can't believe it's been so long!
    Hey - 1998 was a million years ago. You signed my Sluggo (that sounds wrong perhaps), I told you that you're amazing and I remember telling you that you should write for an orchestra. I'm sure you didn't listen to me, but you came through anyway in '04!

As memory serves me, the Metropole commissioned you right? Was that the impetus for TUWP? Anyway, still one of my fav MK releases.

Co de Kloet from Dutch national public radio commissioned the orchestral suite. Such things were possible a decade ago! The Metropole itself was in danger of losing their government funding in 2012 but managed to hang in there and will be funded until at least 2017. Fantastic orchestra, I'm still stunned by my good fortune that I was able to write for and perform with them.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    The Metropole itself was in danger of losing their government funding in 2012 but managed to hang in there and will be funded until at least 2017.
    Good news! I was bummed out when I heard that the plug might be pulled on their funding. I'm looking forward to the Sluggo! Super Deluxe if the mailman can make the rounds in two feet of snow!

Update: Loving the live disc! The close up sound of the recording, and the quartet with full keys. Enjoying some of the material I wasn't familiar with including Tug, and the Inca Roads performance far exceeded my expectations. Great rendition!

I agree, that version of Inca Roads was epic and led me to youtube and I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcN3BjYJ1Q

Just jaw dropping.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    I agree, that version of Inca Roads was epic and led me to youtube and I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcN3BjYJ1Q

Just jaw dropping.
    If this was the ONLY thing MK ever did in his musical life, I would still consider him a music genius. Luckily for us, he is not a lazy nanny ass crow

Mike is interviewed in the March issue of Guitar Player.

That solo version of Inca Roads is death defying. Frank didn't have this kind of musical ability on the guitar, but then again, he wrote the stuff.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post

Just jaw dropping.
    Wow! As completely aware as I am of Mike's insane musical prowess, that WAS a jaw dropper! If only more folks realized that MK is a national treasure.

Sluggo! (2013) has been dusted off and made to be shiny once again. I know that if I call this album a masterpiece, some folks will say its a term overused and most likely just hyperbole. Well, I don't give a turd, I am applying that description to this album. The changes on the 2013 remix are big enough that really takes an already amazing album, and raises it into the stratosphere.

Everything about this album: the virtuosity, the hooks, the incredible melodicism, the harmonic structure, the guitar playing so good it'll make you want to weep (or just quit altogether), the vocals, the production, the unbelievable amount of detail, the fun electronic (and otherwise) textures, and just the overall FEELING which just makes you giddy throughout.....its all there. And more.

If you haven't heard this album, I cannot stress to you enough that you need to, and listen to it often. I have neglected it for too long, but hearing this fresh after some time has given me a new-found appreciation for it. Love.

Mr. Mike - you have out done yourself. Actually no, you always out-do yourself, so therefore you are technically not outdoing anything. Or something like that.

PS - get the 2013 remix if you are going to buy it. Not you Mike - I think you already have it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been considering this one for a while, so I think I will take the plunge soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    If you haven't heard this album, I cannot stress to you enough that you need to, and listen to it often. I have neglected it for too long, but hearing this fresh after some time has given me a new-found appreciation for it. Love.
    Sluggo is my most listened to Keneally album. I blast it in the car all the time. I think it contains some of Mike's finest hard rocking tunes including Why Am I Your Guy, Frozen Beef, Voyage To Manhood, and Own. And if the situation in this country wasn't so utterly deplorable with media deregulation and corporate monopolies owning and controlling all of the FM radio content, catchy tunes like Potato, and Chatfield Manor may have seen the light of day and earned Mike many more fans. And after 19 years I still think Looking For Nina is the greatest 3 minute progressive rock composition I've ever listened to! And all these tunes don't even add up to half of the album's magnificent content.

I have to agree. This one is a MUST if you are any kind of Keneally fan. It's one of the very best.