Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speculation on Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, et al...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Have you ever heard her earliest recordings from 62/63?
    Not until just now; thanks! In 2000, I played a musical theater show for 4 months called "Love, Janis;" it was commissioned by her siblings, Laura and Michael and Sam Andrews of BBatHC was the musical director (and that's quite a story in itself). I learned a lot about Janis from it and frankly, I didn't care for her much back in the day, but I came to appreciate her from getting familiar with her post-BBatHC work. And yes, there was much more to her than the screamy stuff she did with BB.

Just realized that I left Jimi out of my last post, DOH! Now that's a hard one; there's so many ways he could've gone. The last album he was working on, "First Rays," he was definitely revisiting his r&b roots, but I don't think he would've stayed there. He was like a musical sponge, absorbing everything he came in contact with. He liked to listen to jazz and classical music and I think he would've absorbed some of those elements; doing something more akin to prog and/or fusion, but not in the way we're familiar with those genres. I definitely think he would've started playing more with musicians of his caliber. I think he would've continued to reinvent himself, like Jeff Beck did. What he would've come up with is beyond our imaginations.

Ya know, many people only know the Janis of "Ball and Chain," the ballsy, rough singer, who my daughter thought was actually a man. She had one of the most delicate, gentle voices there ever was, too.
    Janis was featured in a film I saw many years ago, about a train trip across Canada in 1970 with all sorts of musicans who were hot at the time. Her off-stage personna was very different from the stage manner -- she was sweet, and quiet, and actually kinda Earth Mothery. And cute too, when she laughed (which she did a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Not until just now; thanks!
    You're quite welcome. Somewhere, I have a recording of an audition from, like '65. It's really super-cool. Straight blues. She loved Bessie Smith. As do I.

Ya know, Jimi was a HUGE Dylan fan. I can't imagine he would ever have gone the folk route, but stranger things have happened.

I don't see any reason why he would not have continued to blaze his own trails.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ya know, many people only know the Janis of "Ball and Chain," the ballsy, rough singer, who my daughter thought was actually a man. She had one of the most delicate, gentle voices there ever was, too. Yes, it showed on some of her released material, but people tend not to recall it a much.

Have you ever heard her earliest recordings from 62/63?
    This box set is at Traders Den (I'm putting mine together gradually)

Janis Joplin
    Blow All My Blues Away
    various dates, 1962 through 1970

This set of archival recordings lets us witness the formation of arguably the most powerful and expressive voice in rock history. From the earliest known performances in the small bars of Texas to the first sessions with Big Brother to her mesmerizing live shows, Janis never left behind her raw roots. She drew upon them to impel emotional performances as if by exposing her pain she gained power over her past and transformed it into a gift. In these newly sourced pearls, we can hear as never before the birth and fast burning flame of Janis Joplin.

Included are outtakes and unreleased songs from the 1968 "Cheap Thrills" studio sessions, demos for the 1969 Kozmic Blues album and vast improvements on all existing vintage (1962-65) live recordings. The vintage recordings, in particular, are wonderful and although we
    had some of this material from the long out of print "Janis" movie
    soundtrack vinyl release, this collection has 39 (!) tracks recorded
    between 1962-65 including the ubiquitous "Typewriter Tapes" made by Jorma. The final CD finally unchains the urgent expression and lets it be heard in a complete Big Brother concert from 1967. Sit down by your window, put this set on, and blow all your blues away."