Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI - New Yes box set from Rhino

FYI - New Yes box set from Rhino

http://theseconddisc.com/category/reissues/

The Studio Albums 1969-1987 includes every remastered and expanded album originally released for the Atlantic and ATCO labels over a two-decade period. What started as a dense progressive band featuring the likes of vocalist Jon Anderson, bassist Chris Squire, drummers Bill Bruford and Alan White, guitarists Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin, keyboardists Tony Kaye, Rick Wakeman and Patrick Moraz (and even singer/producer Trevor Horn and keyboardist Geoff Downes, fresh from their time in The Buggles) ultimately gave way to a rock-edged, almost dancefloor-ready sound, starting with classics like the recently-remixed Close to the Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans and culminating in the worldwide chart and MTV hit “Owner of a Lonely Heart” from 90125 in 1983.
    FROM THE SECOND DISC WEBSITE

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Albums-...3&keywords=Yes

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Too bad they didn't cut the 2 penalty discs and keep it under $60.

Hey, at least Roger Dean made a little money off of a new painting.

And it appears the cd set is $18 cheaper than the mp3 version. Whoda thunk it? Until a couple of days ago it was available from Amazon UK for about $50, but it looks like the price has caught up with Ammy USA's price. Amazon UK does say the release date there is Nov. 11. If I'd known they were gonna be mini sleeves I would've ordered last week. Damn!
    Last edited by yodathedog; 11-06-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Penalty discs? Btw, the opening post did not mention the selling point of this boxset: Big Generator remastered.

Oh damn, that's actually quite appealing, but I have these albums in so many different formats already, but I never can pass up a smart looking box set!

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Penalty discs? Btw, the opening post did not mention the selling point of this boxset: Big Generator remastered.
    Does BG have any extras ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Does BG have any extras ?
    It's the same bonus tracks on the Japanese remaster.

I don't remember where I read it, but I've heard these discs are severely brickwalled.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbernardini View Post
    I don't remember where I read it, but I've heard these discs are severely brickwalled.
    The discs in this box set are the Rhino remasters, previously released.

The Amazon site for this box set implies that Tales will be a single disc. At 82 1/2+ min, is that even possible? I'm guessing that info is incorrect, and it's really 12 albums on 13 CDs, not 12 CDs.

The mp3 page also doesn't show any of the bonus tracks previously included on the Rhino reissues, so I wonder if they'll be included or not on the CDs in this box set.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, I actually need this, as I don't have ANY reissues with bonus tracks (if these include them), and there are five albums I don't even own.
    BTW, that hardly counts as a "new" cover for Dean - it looks totally, totally familiar.

There must be a better price somewhere, eh? DeepDiscount or somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    The Amazon site for this box set implies that Tales will be a single disc. At 82 1/2+ min, is that even possible? I'm guessing that info is incorrect, and it's really 12 albums on 13 CDs, not 12 CDs.

The mp3 page also doesn't show any of the bonus tracks previously included on the Rhino reissues, so I wonder if they'll be included or not on the CDs in this box set.
    If the bonus tracks are included I might consider buying this box set. However the price is a bit high considering you can now buy these individually at a very low price. I recently bought the remastered Tormato & Drama at HMV for Ł3 each!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post

I just got a Megadeth live cd that was 81.5 minutes in length.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, that hardly counts as a "new" cover for Dean - it looks totally, totally familiar.
    Of course it looks totally familiar. RD has been riffing on the same basic landscape in his Yes covers for the past 20 years. But that doesn't mean he gives it to them for free.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 11-06-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Complete track listings for the included CDs here: http://yesworld.com/2013/10/yes-the-...-1987-box-set/

Will Tales have the "ambient" opening?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Of course it looks totally familiar. RD has been riffing on the same basic landscape in his Yes covers for the past 20 years. But that doesn't mean he gives it to them for free.
    Yeah, but this looks just like his cover for, I think, An Evening of Yes Music Plus. Or one of the KtA covers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Complete track listings for the included CDs here: http://yesworld.com/2013/10/yes-the-...-1987-box-set/
    The track listing of Tales looks sketchy there - the only one that varies from the original Rhino reissues as far as bonus tracks

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

These contain the Rhino discs. (The listing for Tales... is wrong: AFAIK, it's the Rhino version.) It includes Big Generator, which (for unclear reasons) wasn't included in the Rhino series but came out in Japan latterly; it has some b-side dance remixes as bonus tracks, nothing exciting. You can pick up the Japanese BG as an import at a reasonable price if you want that and not this box.

I think the Rhinos are generally very good, both in terms of bonus tracks and in terms of mastering, but there will always be debates around individual albums when it comes to mastering. The Rhinos were all released at a mid-price level and are generally available very cheaply now. This box set is also very cheap for what you get (I imagine the current list price will come down once it's out), but not, I think, for hardcore fans who already have some/most of the individual albums. It's aiming at a Xmas market, something to get your dad or friend who has a few old Yes vinyls, or for people who like shiny boxes. Warner/Atlantic are doing lots of these boxes for various bands.

Have I answered all the questions above? Until recently, my recommendation to someone wanting to get old Yes albums would have been the Rhinos, but now, I'd say wait for the Panegyrics!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

What are the Panegyrics?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What are the Panegyrics?
    The Steven Wilson remixed ones, Close to the Edge out shortly, but others to follow in 2014. I haven't heard them, but I expect these to be the definitive series in due course.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Eh, if you order it through Amazon UK it comes out to $66 including shipping. And you get it 2 weeks before it's released in the US. No brainer. That's what I did. I have all these old 1980s and 1990s first generation CDS, but not the remasters. Cheap enough to make it worth my while.

Thank you for the clarification on Tales, I was hoping for another alternate version of Remembering and Ritual, but knew that was a long shot

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I think the Rhinos are generally very good, both in terms of bonus tracks and in terms of mastering
    I think they are fantastic as far as bonus tracks, some really great extras, especially on Tales through Drama

As to the mastering, I've heard worse but after careful consideration I'd recommend ripping the original Atlantic's and adding the Rhino bonus tracks to them

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I think they [the Rhinos] are fantastic as far as bonus tracks, some really great extras, especially on Tales through Drama

As to the mastering, I've heard worse but after careful consideration I'd recommend ripping the original Atlantic's and adding the Rhino bonus tracks to them
    Really? I find the Rhinos generally much preferable to the remastered or original Atlantics, but, whatever, I'm looking forward to what Steven Wilson does.

Henry