Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klaus Schulze/Lisa Gerrard - Big In Europe Vol. I

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Interesting review. I disagree with your general point re a decline in Schulze's work since the 80s (although I concede that his output has been patchier since the Audentity).

I can't think of an example of Klaus working with a vocalist (as opposed to some vocal samples) that I have liked. For me, the human voice is just not an instrument suited to the sort of large scale meanderings that his music involves - whether it involves lyrics like the god-awful stuff with Arthur Brown that mars half of Dune and a quarter of Live or Lisa's wordless warbling. I like my synth music to be tentative and exploratory - but when it comes to the voice, my basic taste is: unless you have something to say, something to tell me, keep quiet. And Lisa has nothing to say here.

I'm interested to read your view on Klaus' work in the review - I'll revisit the album to hear that, although I'm not sure I'll be able to overlook the singing!
    IMO Klaus has done much great work involving human voices. A favorite is his album Dosburg Online which features tenor Roelof Oostwoud. Very interesting stuff. Totentag , his opera, is worthwhile too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's Tidal?
    It's an online music streaming service like Spotify, except it can be lossless. (I've only found one release that was not made available lossless so far.) link