Thread: Van Dyke Parks - Discover America

Van Dyke Parks - Discover America

Few years ago I was in good record shop.I asked the man what would be his very recommended album for me.

"Van Dyke Parks - Discover America"

I never seem to find the appeal for the album.

It's an odd album, but I enjoy it for what it is--not commercial by any means. I can see how he influenced Brian Wilson & his songwriting.

Never heard this album but I find its predecessor 'Song Cycle' at its best to be an amazing piece of work. There is some over-reach on it (particularly the 2nd side) but when it works, it really does. I've not heard much, if anything, else he's done as a solo artist.

Van Dyke Parks, Nick Drake and Richard Thompson, all artists that are held in high regard by critics but I can't see the appeal.

Van Dyke Parks just sounds like TV commercials to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I find its predecessor 'Song Cycle' at its best to be an amazing piece of work.
    I'm still absolutely flabbergasted by Song Cycle, but I rarely play this one. It's an interesting concept for what it is, but the whole "meta-approach" gets lost on me as far as musical joy is concerned.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Van Dyke Parks, Nick Drake and Richard Thompson, all artists that are held in high regard by critics but I can't see the appeal.
    As for Drake, there's something particularly European about his appeal. I've listened those albums to near-death myself, so I usually won't go there too often anymore, but I still love some of his songs and lyrics. And not just for the "atmosphere".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM