Thread: "Ender" bookended by Lips!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

"Ender" bookended by Lips!

Went to see Ender's Game yesterday (have been reading this series for many years)...
    Good film, but what was especially cool was instead of the usual ads, "First Look" crap, the theater dimmed the lights at starting time and played a cool, kind of proggy tune. I had no idea who or why...then showed some previews.
    The film ended with the same tune which continued overthe closing credits. It was the Flaming Lips "Peace Sword (Open Your Heart)", part of a new Ender EP apparently. Don't really know the Lips...but this was a very unique opening for a film, never experienced anything quite like it...
    Are they doing this everywhere?
    Should I get to know the Lips?
    Anyone else enjoying Ender?

I haven't seen it yet but we know the guy who played Ender's dad. It's like we know a star now His wife does a lot of Recorded Books work at our studio.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I haven't seen it yet but we know the guy who played Ender's dad. It's like we know a star now His wife does a lot of Recorded Books work at our studio.
    OMG!!! It's Stevie Ray Dallimore! I had no idea. I mentioned to you once before in a thread that we were friends with them before they moved to Chatanooga. So cool! Weird, my son saw the movie the other night and I guess didn't recognize him because he didn't mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    OMG!!! It's Stevie Ray Dallimore! I had no idea. I mentioned to you once before in a thread that we were friends with them before they moved to Chatanooga. So cool! Weird, my son saw the movie the other night and I guess didn't recognize him because he didn't mention it.
    Oh right right! He was charging $50 for a "See the film with Stevie" show Saturday night *lol* All for charity of course. I can't wait to go- it looks like it's actually pretty good. I'm ashamed to say I never read the book. Apparently it's big in schools now but it wasn't out when I was in high school. Anyway, we're just glad Stevie made the cut! It seemed like he couldn't really be edited out but you never know until you see the film...

Jon Neudorf
    Saw Ender's Game last nite and the wife and I both really enjoyed it. Think I heard the same tune. Liked it as well. Only have one Lips album (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots). Quite like it.

Regards,
    Jon

The only Lips album that I really dig is At War With The Mystics but I seem to be a minority. Yoshimi is the one everyone likes but it didn't click. I may give it another listen.

Loved the book, but I've heard the film doesn't quite do the book justice, although not as bad as Jumper, where the book was phenomenal and the movie absolutely sucked. I still will see the movie. I do like The Flaming Lips though, especially earlier albums, like Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin.