Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gryphon Reunion tour 2014

Their first two (Gryphon, Midnight Mushrumps) are the most unique. It's basically Renaissance type of folk, with delicate blend of prog rock here and there.
    After they began touring with Yes, their unique style has changed to a more conventional prog rock. Red Queen To Gryphon Three is like a mix of Gentle Giantish polyphony with Romantic melodies a-la Rick Wakeman. The Raindance album I like a bit more, than Red Queen - I think Fontineltal Version is one of the best songs they ever produced. Gentle Giant influence is obvious, but the song has a typical Gryphon character, soulful and whimsical all the while. And Raindance is the last album with brilliant Graeme Tailor. Here's Tailor's tune I spoke about

Ahhh, what a shame.

From their official facebook page:

The silence has been long and it is with regret that we have to finally announce that the band will not tour this year. This has been due to a number of contributing logistical and technical factors as well as difficulty in finding suitable venues.

The up side is that we are hoping to have some good news regarding 2015 shortly. Plans are in the making and it would appear that the beast may well fly again. We would like to sincerely thank you all for your support and continued interest in Gryphon and hope that you will stick with us for a little while longer until we have some news….. after all it’s been 38 years since we last toured.

In the meantime, here is something to be going on with………….
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

chalkpie
    It was basically autumn here yesterday in NE, so I busted out my olde Gryphon disc two-fer (s/t and MM) as I made Shepherd's Pie (beef not lamb......can't do lamb unless I'm drunk). Anyway, man that is tremendous stuff! These guys are exceptional musicians and I adore the production and overall vibe of these records. The first album is such a joy, and as an extreme fanatic of early music its a treat to hear an updated facelift of these classics. The big epic "Midnight Mushrumps" must be THE ultimate prog renaissance-esque epic, maaaaaa'aaaaan. I also love Red Queen and Raindance (less, tho'), but I may actually prefer these two records over those as they seem to possess a olde world charm that RQ doesn't, and don't try to be overtly 'prague'. Love this band.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It was basically autumn here yesterday in NE, so I busted out my olde Gryphon disc two-fer (s/t and MM) as I made Shepherd's Pie (beef not lamb......can't do lamb unless I'm drunk). Anyway, man that is tremendous stuff! These guys are exceptional musicians and I adore the production and overall vibe of these records. The first album is such a joy, and as an extreme fanatic of early music its a treat to hear an updated facelift of these classics. The big epic "Midnight Mushrumps" must be THE ultimate prog renaissance-esque epic, maaaaaa'aaaaan. I also love Red Queen and Raindance (less, tho'), but I may actually prefer these two records over those as they seem to possess a olde world charm that RQ doesn't, and don't try to be overtly 'prague'. Love this band.
    Where is the "like" button

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    From their official facebook page:
    Well, at least there's signs of life in there, finally.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Their first two (Gryphon, Midnight Mushrumps) are the most unique. It's basically Renaissance type of folk, with delicate blend of prog rock here and there.
    After they began touring with Yes, their unique style has changed to a more conventional prog rock. Red Queen To Gryphon Three is like a mix of Gentle Giantish polyphony with Romantic melodies a-la Rick Wakeman. The Raindance album I like a bit more, than Red Queen - I think Fontineltal Version is one of the best songs they ever produced. Gentle Giant influence is obvious, but the song has a typical Gryphon character, soulful and whimsical all the while. And Raindance is the last album with brilliant Graeme Tailor. Here's Tailor's tune I spoke about
    Absolutely one of my favourites of theirs too. I think their version of Mother Natures Son also captures some of the same wistfulness.

But, coming back to the prospective tour, I do hope they play a lot more material from their final 3 albums rather than the preponderance from the two first ones. Richard Harvey was actually quite disparaging about their prog material at the QEH.....I don't think he knows his audience that well.

"Raindance" is a fabulous album!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have Midnight Mushrumps & Red Queen, guess I should pick up s/t & Raindance
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I have Midnight Mushrumps & Red Queen, guess I should pick up s/t & Raindance
    That's weird - did you get those separately? They used to come with Gryphon/Mushrumps on one disc, and Red Queen/Raindance on one disc. Did they remaster these?

Yeah I got them separately, they came out on Talking Elephant in 2007.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    ^Talking Elephant?

Talk, talk, it's all talk
    Too much talk
    Small talk
    Talk that trash
    Expressions, editorials, explanations, exclamations, exaggerations
    It's all talk
    Elephant talk, elephant talk, elephant talk

Yeah, the first album slays dragons and then some.

Not that this is of huge importance, but they've just posted their new logo on their official page as well:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    That's weird - did you get those separately? They used to come with Gryphon/Mushrumps on one disc, and Red Queen/Raindance on one disc. Did they remaster these?
    The versions of the first two albums I have on two separate discs. I forget what label they were on but I got that ages ago, sometime around 2000 or something like that. I have Red Queen and Raindance both on LP (with my copy of Raindance being an unopened cut out copy), and I have Treason on both LP and CD.

Most people don't talk about Treason. I actually fished my LP copy out of the basement of Record Revolution (back before they downsized the store) on Coventry Road probably circa 20 years ago (I know it was before 95, because I remember bragging to one of the guys at Wax Stax that I found a Sun Ra LP during that same trip...but anyway...). I had never heard of the band, but I liked the cover artwork, and there was a bassoonist pictured on the back cover.

Anyhow, I gather most people don't dig Treason, and I can understand why, as most of it's...well, it's not as "prog", and for the most part, I don't even think it's very good "mainstream" rock or whatever they were going for on that one.

But, the opening song, the very first Gryphon song, I immediately thought was total dynamite, and it remains my favorite song from Gryphon (warning: DO NOT turn up your speakers):

Man, what is with people and Treason....I think its a great record. I suppose for purists its just a sell-out to the mainstream but if I were in the mainstream in 1977 I would have thought this was a pretty idiosyncratic record and hardly likely to gain mass appeal. Warm and charming, just a little bit mad, a fine swansong!

Treason is worth the price of admission for "Spring Song" alone!

I bought Treason out of the same reasons as GuitarGeek.

I loved it right away, and still do. Such a joyous lovley little weird Album.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    We tried to get them for NEARfest Apocalypse. Just didn't work out.
    Chad

"Flash in the Pantry" is fantastic, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    As is Falero Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    As is Falero Lady.
    So that's over half the album, right? Anyone what to add the other three tracks?
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But, the opening song, the very first Gryphon song, I immediately thought was total dynamite, and it remains my favorite song from Gryphon (warning: DO NOT turn up your speakers):
    I had the vinyl and remember that the soft drumbeats start in the run-in groove.

Interesting trivia: Treason was Mike Thorne's first production job, then came Wire. David Oberle sings on "Pink Flag."

So that's over half the album, right? Anyone what to add the other three tracks?
    Scratch the instrumental though.

Well why not? The whole album is really good, even if it's not as consistently great as the others. There are just three songs that are in a more mainstream, Bee Gees/Hollies pop ballad vein (some of Dave Oberlé's vocals sound quite a bit like Graham Nash), but they're fine songs, and even these have a few proggy touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    We tried to get them for NEARfest Apocalypse. Just didn't work out.
    You'll just have to have another NEARfest apocalypse!