Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Get Down, Get Funky

Climax Blues Band - Couldn't Get It Right

JODY GRIND - (far canal) - PLASTIC SHIT

Oliver - Trance .1974

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, but even in the context of DJ's and turntablists, there's still some interesting music here and there. I always liked that turntable solo on Herbie Hancock's Rockit, for instance. And I remember ages ago seeing a clip of Grandmaster Flash from the late 70's or very early 80's where he was doing some pretty cool stuff that actually required some honest to God skill.

The problem was, when it got to the point where all you had to do was read a couple owner's manuals to acquire the "skill" to do what probably took Grandmaster Flash months (or maybe even years) to be able to pull off effectively.

But is always noted, there's good stuff, if you have the time, money and inclination to look for it. The thing is, it used to be you didn't have to look for it, it was right there in the mainstream where anyone could bump into it.
    Couldnt the same thing be said for any style of music?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The problem was, when it got to the point where all you had to do was read a couple owner's manuals to acquire the "skill" to do what probably took Grandmaster Flash months (or maybe even years) to be able to pull off effectively.
    What you mean like all electronic artists and many proggers have done for decades?

Really, don't underestimate the skill required in transferring knowledge read in a manual into practical application. I took to my Fostex 4 track straightaway, no problem; but I could never get the hang of my Roland drum machine or the algorithm for my Yamaha keyboard and that was 80s machinery! Heaven forbid I should try to understand something modern.

Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    What you mean like all electronic artists and many proggers have done for decades?
    Exactly who are you talking about when you say "All electronic artists"? Maybe some "electronic artists" (and that's a very wide net, there) are mostly letting the computers do "the heavy lifting", but people like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, actually play the instruments. Even if a musician appears to be "just twiddling knobs", they're still manipulating the insturments and creating something that takes a lot more effort than simply sampling and looping the riff off an old Funkadelic record.

I imagine there are some techno type artists where it's mostly the microchips doing most of the "heavy lifting", but there's also a lot (probably) where that's not true, just as it's not true in other areas of "electronic music".

I don't know of any (ahem) "proggers" who are skating by with a minimum of musical ability. Isn't the whole point of (ahem) "prog" that you have to be able to have maximal musical skills? That's the way it's always been explained to me?

Chaka Khan rocks my world.

Yeah, she bad. Rufus was a great band.

Banned
    Funk this...

Banned
    The soul of Otis Redding leaps into the body of white Scot...

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Trust in the Machine”-Kayak

Any love for Rufus?
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    Any love for Rufus?
    See post #63!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Trouble Child”-Joni Mitchell/Court & Spark