Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whatever happened to the tambourine?

There's a lot of percussion in this one. It seems to go from jingle bells to shakers half way through. There's seems to be a tambourine in there somewhere. Not really sure though.

Who was that funny bald guy who used to do all the Princes Trusts and other charity gigs in the 80s. He was either always playing bongos or tambourine in an expressive way.

I think he may have been from the Elton John band.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Who was that funny bald guy who used to do all the Princes Trusts and other charity gigs in the 80s. He was either always playing bongos or tambourine in an expressive way.

I think he may have been from the Elton John band.
    Ray Cooper. He's been mentioned He goes nuts on a set of hi-hats as well...

Inga.
    Frumpy - How The Gypsy Was Born

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned the tambourine belongs in Satan's box of musical torture devices along with the accordion, the Scottish bagpipes, triangle, kazoo, double vamped harmonicas, jew's-harp, jazz drummers and slap-bass players.
    Sounds good except for the bass player.

My instinct would be to go with tuba, but adding a slap bass to that mess would be much gnarlier.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Tambourine is all over the Gabriel era Genesis albums.
    That's an overstatement. Gabriel only played tambourine and bass drum on one song per album. I don't think tambourine is on The Lamb album.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Ray Cooper. He's been mentioned He goes nuts on a set of hi-hats as well...
    The first time I remember seeing Ray Cooper was when Ronnie Lane put together the ARMS concerts in London in 83. One of the shows was shown on MTV a few months later. The big finale of the concert was a version of Layla, during which Ray totally savages a gong. During the piano section of the song, the tethering holding the gong onto the stand breaks, so Ray just has and shoves the stand off the back of the drum riser.

they’re all in neal morse’s choruses.

I can't believe I forgot this one, but what about Nazareth's You're The Violin. The cool thing is the tambourine doesn't enter until after the line "Some shake me like a tambourine".