Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Music From Norway: Just how important is it, really?

Norwegian bands in my collection:
    A-ha
    Bel Canto
    Kaisers Orchestra
    Ravana
    Ruphus

I could add
    Katzenjammer (only on DVD)
    Figleaf (got it for a review, but never added to my collection. I suppose it must be lying around somewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

Drummer Martin Horntveth, in addition to working in a number of other bands, has become a noted soundtrack composer;

And, as far as I understand, Lars did NOT have formal training; he picked up pretty much everything he knows - which is significant; he scored most of the Jaga/Britten collaboration, with some help from Johansssn, who DOES have a formal background.
    I believe you are correct here; the Horntveths certainly grew up in a highly musical family, but they are apparently not trained as in "scholared". Interestingly, when Martin Horntveth composed the soundtrack to an ongoing Norwegian crime thriller TV series ('Mammon' - you can see it here: http://tv.nrk.no/serie/mammon/mkdp35...ng-1/episode-1), who other popped up as orchestrator of arrangements - but Jarle Storløkken of Panzerpappa?

Tord Gustavsen is one of a kind. Everything - everything - he has accomplished is of immense listening value, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jono El Grande - (2009) Neo Dada - 02 - Ballet Morbido in a Dozen Tiny Movements

I love that Jono El Grande album! Good choice!

NP: Rush Snakes & Arrows

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I love that Jono El Grande album! Good choice!
    Jono's (Jon A. Håtun's) wife passed away the day before yesterday, after having battled cancer to the breast and brain for several years. She was a high-profile journalist on screen and in writing here in Norway, and particularly after she was initially diagnosed back in 2003 (partly because she presented a TV weekly on health subjects in the national broadcasting services). This also made the two of them a somewhat celebrity kind of couple, not least after she became terminally ill, and there didn't seem to be an end to the interest of the mass-media. Her passing was a widely publicized piece of news yesterday, and I think a lot of viewers and readers were severely saddened by them. Apparently, she was a very likeable person.

Anyway, Jono El Grande has been far less active for the past year, and it's doubtful if he'll have much music to contribute any time soon. But I may be wrong, who knows...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah. I don't mean to sound cynical, although doubtlessly I will. I find it a little strange how EVERYone and their mother is suddenly coming out of the wood-work declaring what a wonderful friend this woman was. And the same everyones and their mothers are posting pictures of the poor lady all over the place to the extent that Jono had to make an announcement asking people to please stop posting… Seems pretty hysterical to me. Reminds me of a certain Sex Pistols concert in Oslo that a conspicuous number of people claimed to have attended.

Anyway - extremely sorry for the composer's loss - I can't even begin to imagine...

I just remembered a terrific jazz singer/songwriter from Moss, Sidsel Stromnes. Think Diana Krall.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Three pages and no mention of the fact that Norway is the birthplace of the second wave of Black Metal - the form we know today. From the late 80's to today, Norway has been the country most known for Black Metal, many bands and artists still producing great music.

Here is a truncated list lifted from Wikipedia

Ancient 1992 Eidsvåg, Nesset
    Arcturus (aka Mortem) 1987 Oslo
    Burzum 1991 Bergen, Hordaland
    Carpathian Forest (aka Enthrone) 1990 Sandnes, Rogaland
    Darkthrone (aka Black Death) 1986 Kolbotn, Oppegård
    Emperor 1991 Notodden, Telemark
    Enslaved 1991 Haugesund, Rogaland
    Fimbulwinter 1992 Oslo
    Gorgoroth 1992 Bergen, Hordaland
    Hades/Hades Almighty 1992 Bergen, Hordaland
    Ildjarn 1992 Bø, Telemark
    Immortal 1990 Bergen, Hordaland
    Mayhem 1984 Oslo
    Satyricon 1991 Oslo
    Taake 1993 Bergen
    Thorns (aka Stigma Diabolicum) 1989 Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag
    Thou Shalt Suffer 1991 Notodden, Telemark
    Tulus 1993 Oslo
    Ulver 1993 Oslo
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Three pages and no mention of the fact that Norway is the birthplace of the second wave of Black Metal - the form we know today. From the late 80's to today, Norway has been the country most known for Black Metal, many bands and artists still producing great music.
    Just to be clear about my article on Music from Norway; I was commissioned specifically to focus primarily on the jazz and improvised music scene. You are absolutely correct about metal being huge in Norway, but it was largely beyond the purview of my piece....

Here is a truncated list lifted from Wikipedia

Ancient 1992 Eidsvåg, Nesset
    Arcturus (aka Mortem) 1987 Oslo
    Burzum 1991 Bergen, Hordaland
    Carpathian Forest (aka Enthrone) 1990 Sandnes, Rogaland
    Darkthrone (aka Black Death) 1986 Kolbotn, Oppegård
    Emperor 1991 Notodden, Telemark
    Enslaved 1991 Haugesund, Rogaland
    Fimbulwinter 1992 Oslo
    Gorgoroth 1992 Bergen, Hordaland
    Hades/Hades Almighty 1992 Bergen, Hordaland
    Ildjarn 1992 Bø, Telemark
    Immortal 1990 Bergen, Hordaland
    Mayhem 1984 Oslo
    Satyricon 1991 Oslo
    Taake 1993 Bergen
    Thorns (aka Stigma Diabolicum) 1989 Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag
    Thou Shalt Suffer 1991 Notodden, Telemark
    Tulus 1993 Oslo
    Ulver 1993 Oslo
    And kudos for Tord Gustavsen. A musical genius!!

Just to be clear about my article on Music from Norway; I was commissioned specifically to focus primarily on the jazz and improvised music scene. You are absolutely correct about metal being huge in Norway, but it was largely beyond the purview of my piece....
    I was pretty sure that was the case and my comment was directed primarily at the posts on this thread. Regardless, IMHO there exists a cultural, and even intellectual, divide surrounding the recognition of the relative value of the traditional arts, Jazz, Classical, Modern, and the popular, Rock, Metal, etc. Again, not directed at you specifically, but rather a general commentary.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I was pretty sure that was the case and my comment was directed primarily at the posts on this thread. Regardless, IMHO there exists a cultural, and even intellectual, divide surrounding the recognition of the relative value of the traditional arts, Jazz, Classical, Modern, and the popular, Rock, Metal, etc. Again, not directed at you specifically, but rather a general commentary.
    Actually, while I would agree with you in some places, in Norway I don't find that to be the case. There's a surprising amount of interaction between musicians from across the spectrum. Case in point, classical composer Rolf Wallin's live remix at Punkt Festival 2013, using an iPhone.

I personally rankle to see folks define one genre as "better" than another. They might like one better than another, and to that they're entitled, but when we start getting into qualitative - even empirical - comparisons and judgments, that's when I tend to shut off.

WRT my article, because I write primarily for a jazz periodical, even though as most folks here know I cover things farther afield, I am often asked to write about things from a jazz perspective. Knowing the folks who commissioned me in Norway, I'd say without hesitation that it was simply a matter of addressing the subject with the context I write about most, and not any judgment for or against other genres.

But over here in North America? Another story. People define themselves by the music they listen to, and while that's not totally wrong, it does become so, imo, when they go so far as to suggest that what they listen to is better than what others do, which makes them better people (read: smarter, more cultured, etc), and that's just flat out wrong.

I pride myself on liking Johnny Cash as much as I do Yes, Rodney Crowell as much as I do King Crimson, and Deep Purple as much as I do John Scofield. I also pride myself on being as much a fan of B horror movies as I am "higher art" films.

I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't. That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else...just, in some cases, different and in others, there's a shared interest that sometimes leads to friendship.

But irrespective of musical or other artistic tastes, the one thing I hate about writing about jazz is dealing with folks who may congratulate me for the work (which I appreciate), while thinking I'm a member of the same club they are.

Like Woody Allen said (paraphrasing) "I'd not want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member"

Cheers!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Was Tord Gustavsen mentioned ?
    I actually met him at birthday party attended by my six-year old son recently. Gustavsen's daughter is in my son's class at primary school. Goes to show how "huge" Norway is, I guess...

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I mentioned most of those black metal bands, Eric.

But they have jazz and blues ties. In my collection is a cd by Jens Haugen, who was with Spoonful of Blues and Backbone. He appears on a tribute to his son's band Emperor. Knut Valle of Arcturus has played with Sebastian Gruchot and Tom Rudi Torjussen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Needlepoint is releasing a new album these days

image1.jpg

Releaseconcert:
    The Crossroad Club
    December 15, 20.00 hours
    Maridalsveien 3, Oslo

^

Needlepoint are one of the coolest things to come out of the Norwegian scene in quite a while. Their breezy take on classy jazz-rock meets proto-progressive sensibilities is rather intriguing and just plain different from most of what's going on.

Needlepoints bandleader & composer Bjørn Klakeggs other musical projects are VERY different.
    Needlepoint is a kind of hybrid, and since the second album was SO good, I really hope Bjørn can keep it up that way.

One of my favorite artists: Bendik Hofseth

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Like Woody Allen said (paraphrasing) "I'd not want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member"
    LOL wut?

KATZENJAMMER are my choice of Norwegian music at the moment. A country of only 5 million, produces much talent and KATZENJAMMER are a great example! Definitely pop music... and have to be seen to be really appreciative of their many talents. This all female quartet, that play multiple instruments and have great voices are a joy to behold. I have all of their recordings and really dig them, but you just have to see them...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Music From Norway: Just how important is it, really?

You said Needlepoint's album was recorded at Mølla?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

Needlepoint are one of the coolest things to come out of the Norwegian scene in quite a while. Their breezy take on classy jazz-rock meets proto-progressive sensibilities is rather intriguing and just plain different from most of what's going on.
    Is David Wallumrød from Needlepoint related to Susanna?
    Last edited by TheH; 11-22-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    You said Needlepoint's album was recorded at Mølla?
    Thats what I was told, but I have just read that it was recorded in a barn in Björns old farm in Sweden.
    https://thecrossroadclub.hoopla.no/sales/needlepoint/

On the Needlepoint facebook there is a photo from the barn, and it says it was mixed in Sweden.
    https://www.facebook.com/Needlepoint-878278298897405/

Update: My source just told me that it was recorded in Björns barn, fine tuned at Mølle Studio, and mixed in Göteborg, Sweden.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-22-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Nice heavy Prog, I think they are related to Host

Annot Rhül is the project of Sigurd Lühr Tonna. He has 3 albums out although I am only familiar with his 2014 release, "Leviathan", which is very good.