Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The return of Porcupine Tree

The return of Porcupine Tree

Well not yet, but at a recent drum clinic Gavin Harrison said the band is absolutely not over - just on extended hiatus (while Steven is obviously keeping busy).
    Said he lives near Steven and they speak regularly. I'm thinking mid-late 2015 at the earliest, after the King Crimson tour at least. But one never knows.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm sure it will happen, but as Steven has said more than once in different recent interviews, it will at the point they can "reinvent themselves" or their sound. And even beyond that, it will have a lot to do with scheduling and priorities of course, which it may be in 2015, it may not be until 2020.

For some reason, I think what may happen is they will play some live dates 1st as that seems to happen often with bands who go on a hiatus and then comeback, the 1st step often is just playing again live.

I would not be so impressed. It would be a complete let down from his current band, project and vision. He is currently setting the musical gold standard.

Gavin would be the only one from Porcupine tree who could hang with his current musicians

Personally, I would really welcome one more great SW album and then look forward to something completely new (a re-invention) from PT.

As long as when they reinvent themselves they don't go the cocaine disco route that Arcade Fire did. Cripes, what a steaming pile of dogshit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'd like to hear PT revisit its roots circa mid-90s. Otherwise, Wilson's solo output isn't much a departure from the last two PT albums - may as well keep it solo.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

We'll...Steven's comment at his recent Albert Hall show felt a bit final to me. Something like "the PT Albert Hall show felt like the end of something, whereas this show feels like the beginning". Plus the fact that SW felt comfortable enough to play two Porcupine Tree songs was interesting as well.

Matt.

I'm probably in the minority but...the project I'm most interested in seeing him reactivate is No-Man. Really dug the last couple of their albums. Bowness has some cool stuff of his own going, but the two of them always did something special together (IMHO).

Meh...whenever he thinks it is a good (creative) idea, I'm sure it'll happen. No need to rush things until then.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I love PT, a LOT, don't get me wrong, but I think he's moved on...I don't see them doing what hes doing now with his solo bands. He doesn't seem like one to go backward, maybe an anniversary tour or something? I don't know, I really like what he's doing now. I'd REALLY like to hear the new work he did at the RAH.

I'd be excited at news of a new PT project. Moreso than an other solo outing.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I'd REALLY like to hear the new work he did at the RAH.
    It was a 15 minute piece that was clearly divided in 2 different parts, musically. The first part was based on a programmed beat, with a lot of jazzy bits thrown in. Imagine The Incident (the song) played by his current band (at least this was my thought when I heard it). I really liked this first part.

The second part was mostly heavy mindless riffing which I found very disappointing. This kind of thing already annoyed me when it was done with PT, but I thought SW was over his metal phase now. It really isn't the kind of thing I expected him to be doing with his current band.

Of course, the song is unfinished and may evolve a lot until it is recorded. On the other hand, Luminol as played on the previous tour is quite similar to the final studio version. Guess we'll have to wait and see… next year probably, since SW commented about the fact that there was nothing wrong about releasing an album a year.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Interesting, thanks for the info! I did a search, and found a site called setlists or something, that had songs you could play. When I clicked on the new track called wreckage i think, insurgents cover art came up. It had an almost drum machine/electronic sound to it, and morphed into what seemed like real instruments. I don't recall hearing that on insurgents. I found it interesting that it would be up so soon. I didn't see anything on his site about it.
    Interesting you think it had a PT feel to it, hmm. I'll wait and see!

But tell me, how was Chad??

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post

But tell me, how was Chad??
    Hard for me to say, since I'm not a drummer. I found him perfect, but then I can't compare him to Marco having never seen the band live with him. He's probably a bit less powerful than Marco, which is never a bad thing in my book, however he did great on the sections where Marco really bashes his drums on the album (such as the end of The Watchmaker).
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

People have said my sentiments already but i'll echo back with don't really care any more about Porcupine Tree...he's going in much better sonic and harmonic directions with his full band now.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Steven's last solo effort was better than anything PT in their last three outings.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'd welcome the comeback in the form of Absentia/Dead Wing era continuation. Got enough mellow stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Steven's last solo effort was better than anything PT in their last three outings.
    I'm still listening to the Incident and Deadwing fairly regularly, but The Raven is refusing to sing by collecting dust on my shelf.

There seem to be several bands that draw inspiration from Porcupine Tree (Riverside and Abigail's Ghost are two examples), so much so that that "genre" is pretty well represented. I for one much prefer where Steven's been going the past few years, "The Raven" tour was in my top concerts of all time.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    There seem to be several bands that draw inspiration from Porcupine Tree (Riverside and Abigail's Ghost are two examples), so much so that that "genre" is pretty well represented. I for one much prefer where Steven's been going the past few years, "The Raven" tour was in my top concerts of all time.
    I almost never go to any rock concerts at all these days, but I sure am glad I went to that at the Park West. It was incredible! The new Blu-Ray has about 35 minutes of footage from Germany, and that's really well shot and recorded. Get it. Get it post haste.

I'm surprised anyone would think the Wilson solo albums are the same sound as PT. They are much more experimental, and while I really like them a lot, they lack the immediacy of the PT albums. Yup, I like that PT are a bit more accessible than the solo work. I hope Wilson continues both solo and with PT, because PT were on quite a roll before the break. I'd love to hear what a new album would sound like after this extended break.

The Wilson solo discs are certainly different than PT. Better? Not sure, and also not sure why there is a need to compare them since I get plenty of enjoyment from both.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I'm surprised anyone would think the Wilson solo albums are the same sound as PT. They are much more experimental, and while I really like them a lot, they lack the immediacy of the PT albums. Yup, I like that PT are a bit more accessible than the solo work. I hope Wilson continues both solo and with PT, because PT were on quite a roll before the break. I'd love to hear what a new album would sound like after this extended break.

The Wilson solo discs are certainly different than PT. Better? Not sure, and also not sure why there is a need to compare them since I get plenty of enjoyment from both.
    Well stated. Apples and oranges. I like 'em both too.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'd like to hear PT revisit its roots circa mid-90s. Otherwise, Wilson's solo output isn't much a departure from the last two PT albums - may as well keep it solo.
    Sorry, can't agree. The quality of the musicianship has allowed WIlson to do things PT could simply not do - with the exception of Harrison, of course. The rest of the PT guys are great for what they do, but they don't have the chops or linguistic breadth to play what's on The Raven, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Sorry, can't agree. The quality of the musicianship has allowed WIlson to do things PT could simply not do - with the exception of Harrison, of course. The rest of the PT guys are great for what they do, but they don't have the chops or linguistic breadth to play what's on The Raven, for example.

I think this mostly relates to Barbeiri (personally on of my favorite keyboardists) and to Wilson himself on guitar. The bass parts aren't that difficult and as you've already, somewhat stated, Harrison can cover anything (King Crimson for instance).

But see, the goals of the current Wilson lineup and that of PT are not the same. And while I place a lot of value on a band's chops, maybe more than most people, the whole chemistry thing can't be overlooked. Just about any band could outplay Pink Floyd, yet I'm sure happy those guys worked together and for a long time.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    See, my statement is from a non-musician perspective. "linguistic breadth"? I dunno what that means. I don't listen to technique. Aesthetically speaking, I don't hear a great deal of difference between what Wilson is doing now, compared to either of his first solo offerings or the last two PT albums, so the musicianship of whatever or whomever is lost on me. Its the same motif to my ears. Here's the rub; if I gotta expend some effort to "really hear" the differences, then I may as well move on. My point was/is, I started lamenting the decline of PT long before Wilson stopped making PT albums.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that