Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Pink Floyd - Animals

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's mine too but saying the rest pales is a bit of a stretch, I still love Shine On, Sheep, Echoes, Careful, etc.
    I meant the rest of the album - agree that Floyd have plenty of stuff that's up there near 'Dogs'.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I meant the rest of the album - agree that Floyd have plenty of stuff that's up there near 'Dogs'.
    I like Sheep a lot but I'll cede the point
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This album and Echoes are my fave Floyd. I like Shine On but the rest of WYWH I can live without and if I never hear DSotM again I can die a happy man. OK, Umma Gumma is pretty sweet too.

The album had been out for a few years, and we're sitting around in a friends basement listening to it - on 8 track. We're all stoned-to-the-bone , know the album by heart, etc., and then the Snowy White solo starts playing !!!

One of the biggest WTF? moments of my life !!

One of my all time favorites. Great, great album. It was even better onstage during the tour.

Easily my favorite Floyd work and the only one I would consider prog.

Just curious and have a question for those who like Animals best- Did you graduate high school in the 80s?

Haven't listened to it since high school. Late 70s.

I love it. Along with DSotM and WYWH represents the pinnacle of PF catalogue, for me. It's kind of what Foxtrot, SEbtP and TLLDoB are for Genesis or CttE, Relayer and TfTO are for Yes.
    Last edited by Zalmoxe; 10-27-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    The album had been out for a few years, and we're sitting around in a friends basement listening to it - on 8 track. We're all stoned-to-the-bone , know the album by heart, etc., and then the Snowy White solo starts playing !!!

One of the biggest WTF? moments of my life !!
    Always understood why this was a part of 8 track format.. curious as to whether this has ever been included on any subsequent CD releases.. for the record.. I never heard the original via 8 track.. I had LP a friend had cassette.. I've since pulled it up via youtube...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Just curious and have a question for those who like Animals best- Did you graduate high school in the 80s?
    Graduate HS in 79 though in England you don't get all that BS, it's just the end of school, no robes or speeches.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I did, 1982. But I didn't really know Animals that well back then. I was never a big PF fan. I picked up animals in Nashville in 1990 or 1991 when I was in Grad school at Vanderbilt. Found it cheap and figured I'd take a shot. I was pretty amazed and thought I'd really missed something, so I went back through the PF catalog. Discovered WYWH, and found that enough of Dark Side and The Wall made them worth keeping. The rest, meh.

Maybe it is an album of it's time and maybe I'm a product of that time. But it wasn't one that had a nostalgia for me. The music won me over independently, and continues to hold me to this day, unlike much of the other PF catalog.

Bill

Of course '82... heard Animals when it came out and I was 14 and it made an indelible impression.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Always understood why this was a part of 8 track format.. curious as to whether this has ever been included on any subsequent CD releases.. for the record.. I never heard the original via 8 track.. I had LP a friend had cassette.. I've since pulled it up via youtube...
    I eventually found an 8 track of it, and then had to find an 8 track player to play it -- and then put it on cassette ! Youtube IS the way to go nowdays for this stuff. It's been released on CD, can't remember which though.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I think it had something to do with the problem of keeping the programs almost the same length. According to Discogs.com, the track listing is like this:

A: Pigs On The Wing
    Dogs (beginning)

B: Dogs (end)

C: Pigs (3 Different Ones)

D: Sheep

I'm guessing that the fade out (CLUNK!! CLUNK!!) fade in during Dogs probably occurred around the 7-8 minute mark, perhaps during Gilmour's second solo (before "And when you lose or control"). That would keep all four programs within a minute or so of each other in length.

As far as it ever being issued since, it apparently appeared on a compilation called Goldtop, which came out sometime in the 90's. But I have the impression it wasn't on the market for very long (maybe because there was some "unauthorized" inclusions?).

You'd have thought Pink Floyd themselves would have included it as a bonus track on the CD reissues of Animals but I don't think they ever have.

BTW, the reason Snowy ended up playing on the track is, I think, because when it was decided they were going to need a second guitarist for the tour, Dave ended up calling Snowy and offering him the job. So Snowy comes down to Britannia Row (the band's studio) and talks to Dave about it. I gather Snowy wanted to jam/play with the band before, to see if it "felt right" or whatever, before agreeing to the job. So anyway, since he was at the studio, Roger asked Snowy to play on something, which ended up being the 8-track version of Pigs On The Wing.

Banned

'94

In some ways it's over rated and in some ways it's under rated. It's true you rarely hear anything from this album on the radio. These days you could also say that about "the Final Cut" or pretty much any album before DSOTM. However, this album has a following and somehow has become popular in prog circles over the past several years. For example it has made Rolling Stone's top ten list for best prog albums from the seventies in a poll from not too long ago and is number 9 on progarchives top albums list.

For me personally, I think it's a bit over rated and not one of my very favorites by the Floyd. However, I still like it and "Dogs" is one of my favorite PF songs for sure.

1975 but I came to this album pretty late. For my money, DSOTM, WYWH, and Animals are all perfection. The wheels started coming off after that, especially The Final Cut.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Kind of like the ugly duckling in the latter day, Waters led Pink Floyd. Popular opinion, though not always in vogue at PE, loves DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall. the Final Cut is where waters takes total control and quits the band. What about Animals? No hooks, no horns, no background singers. Impenetrable. It took me a couple of years to really come to terms with this album. It's bile, bite, aggression, with Gilmour's guitar and Wright's atmospheric keys combined with Waters' really venting his spleen on this one. That is the appeal here. It's not for everyone but the three long songs are stellar. Even though Gilmour only has 1 writing credit and Wright has none, this album goes nowhere without them. Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    What about Animals? No hooks, no horns, no background singers. Impenetrable. It took me a couple of years to really come to terms with this album. It's bile, bite, aggression, with Gilmour's guitar and Wright's atmospheric keys combined with Waters' really venting his spleen on this one.
    heh... interesting this 'grew on you' since it was quite the opposite for me. I was chomping at the bit to hear the next thing Pink Floyd would do after WYWH and when I got this I instantly ADORED it... after about a dozen listens though, Waters rants began to grate on me and bring me down. He ruins an otherwise great album of music. Perhaps I'll try and edit out his rants and preserve what stretches of instrumental sections remain... I think I could love this album once more if I do that
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

need Icomůment this album???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My fav Floyd album...despite the fact i think it has a few flaws here and there. Just something about the atmosphere really grabs me. I really love the live versions from this tour...the arrangement of Pigs (three different ones) is a step up from the album version I think.

Matt.

1982 (there seem to be a few of us here). But I wasn't a Floyd fan back in 77 when this came out. I probably starting listening to PF around 1980 or 81 and didn't hear Animals until maybe 82 or 83.

If it helps derail whatever theory you are working on, my second favorite Floyd is Obscured by Clouds and I was only about 7 when it came out!

Good album. Sheep is my favorite track.