Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UFO: where to begin?

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Here's some advice to avoids at all costs(sorry Trane). Maybe like Nektar when they were in grade-school. Very very very very very imperfect...
    Agreed, avoid any album before Phenoneman at all costs !

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Here's some advice to avoids at all costs(sorry Trane). Maybe like Nektar when they were in grade-school. Very very very very very imperfect...
    Agreed, avoid any album before Phenoneman at all costs !
    Agreed that these early albums are not good, but they present another facet of the band other than that AOR-ish hard rock... But then again, anything that came after is not either...

I'd almost vote the band as a top contender for the thread "music that doesn't live up to the album's artwork" .... They really didn't deserve those Hypgnosis artworks

UFO is a band best forgotten ... or at least best ignored
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Agreed that these early albums are not good, but they present another facet of the band other than that AOR-ish hard rock... But then again, anything that came after is not either...

I'd almost vote the band as a top contender for the thread "music that doesn't live up to the album's artwork" .... They really didn't deserve those Hypgnosis artworks

Wow , one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on a music forum . If there's one band that dosnt divide rock fans & one of the most influential its UFO .
    Last edited by Rufus; 11-03-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    RE: Early UFO

I don't care for the first album all that much, the songwriting is far too weak. However, on the second album, Flying, they almost completely abandon song writing for long, languid, guitar-led jams. I enjoy it quite a bit. It's super stony. You can practically smell the bong water. But I guess its not for everyone. There isn't a lot of flash or virtuosity going on, but it has the right feel and heart as far as I'm concerned. It's certainly not for anyone looking for the powerhouse UFO became with Schenker.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Wow , one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on a music forum . If there's one band that dosnt divide rock fans & one of the most influential its UFO .
    To each his own, I guess... I can name dozens of 70's bands (hard-rock or others) that will tickle my fancy much more than these guys do... They're one of the most over-rated bands in he 704s... Best proof I can think of is Classic Rock mag's onsession with these guys, along with GnR and Aerosmith... or Journey
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

.... They really didn't deserve those Hypgnosis artworks

I understand why people would make this post: UFO had an OK vocalist and OK songs...nothing they did musically was ever a stand out. I mentioned the albums I (personally) like and the period I like but I still don't think they were a great band: they were a good band, but not great ---- They were short an awesome vocalist and a few choice awesome memorable songs........ but it is important to remember (as opposed to being forgotten )that UFO, along with Sweet and a few others, were the reasons why the NWOBHM existed to begin with: bands like Def Leppard would have never happened had it not been for the existence of certain bands that include UFO...UFO was one of the first arena-rock bands to break the "blues-rock" mold: not a lot of pentatonics in the songwriting here and, compared to other Rock bands of the 70s, this is a very unusual and different step.....Musicians like Uli Jon Roth (who did not play for UFO), early Judas Priest, and Michael Schenker (who did play for UFO) were musicians (Roth and Schenker in particular) that were at the forefront of breaking away from the blues pentatonics Rock approach in favor of the diatonic approach in both soloing and songwriting, including borrowed ideas from classical....and this is why they should be remembered

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I understand why people would make this post: UFO had an OK vocalist and OK songs...nothing they did musically was ever a stand out. I mentioned the albums I (personally) like and the period I like but I still don't think they were a great band: they were a good band, but not great ---- They were short an awesome vocalist and a few choice awesome memorable songs........ but it is important to remember (as opposed to being forgotten )that UFO, along with Sweet and a few others, were the reasons why the NWOBHM existed to begin with: bands like Def Leppard would have never happened had it not been for the existence of certain bands that include UFO...UFO was one of the first arena-rock bands to break the "blues-rock" mold: not a lot of pentatonics in the songwriting here and, compared to other Rock bands of the 70s, this is a very unusual and different step.....Musicians like Uli Jon Roth (who did not play for UFO), early Judas Priest, and Michael Schenker (who did play for UFO) were musicians (Roth and Schenker in particular) that were at the forefront of breaking away from the blues pentatonics Rock approach in favor of the diatonic approach in both soloing and songwriting, including borrowed ideas from classical....and this is why they should be remembered
    wholly fuck!!!... You're right!!

I used to not care for them... and thanks to you, I now hate them!!!

JK, of course

-------------------------

More seriously, I like your analysis

Well, I'll offer the overall dissenting opinion that, for a bunch of old guys, they are just as bad-ass as ever. Here's some stuff from their latest album:

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I don't care for the first album all that much, the songwriting is far too weak. However, on the second album, Flying, they almost completely abandon song writing for long, languid, guitar-led jams. I enjoy it quite a bit. It's super stony. You can practically smell the bong water. But I guess its not for everyone.
    Well, it always worked for me and it's their album I'm revisiting the most often (with "Heavy Petting" being the second) .
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

One of the most consistent bands of the late '70s/early '80s. There's a reason so many bands of that era list UFO as a major influence. Great vocals, memorable, ass kicking songs, a thumping rhythm section, and sizzling lead guitar work. Honestly, I don't get the indifference to this band from some here, but I grew up with this band so I guess they are just special to me that way. Deserved far more success than they got in my view.

Another thumbs up here for UFO right up to their last couple of albums, The Visitor in particular

The first career spanning biog of the band is released in the next month or so by rock journalist Neil Daniels
    http://www.amazon.com/High-Stakes-Da.../dp/0957144261

Their best song : UFO - No Place To Run

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Well, I'll offer the overall dissenting opinion that, for a bunch of old guys, they are just as bad-ass as ever. Here's some stuff from their latest album:
    Wow.Great stuff !

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Wow.Great stuff !

Indeed!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Honestly, I'd just start with the pilot episode and go in order. There was only one season. This will get you going...

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Wow.Great stuff !

That'sbecause it sounds like Whitesnake, not UFO (I'm not kidding either)

Sounding like Whitesnake wouldn't make anyone sound great!

Sounding like Whitesnake wouldn't make anyone sound great!
    70's Whitesnake sound was 10 times worthier than UFO-sounding, IMHO

70's Whitesnake sound was 10 times worthier than UFO-sounding, IMHO
    And that UFO vid sounds nothing like 70's Whitesnake!

I think the reference is to the approx 95BPM groove with the bass holding down a driving single note bassline while the guitar plays a power chord riff against it - popular in the 80s but kinda new in the 70s ... I understand the analogy but, while some early Whitesnake compositions did this, they certainly weren't the only band doing that at the time

I was only speaking of that new 2012 album.... not the rest

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I think the reference is to the approx 95BPM groove with the bass holding down a driving single note bassline while the guitar plays a power chord riff against it - popular in the 80s but kinda new in the 70s ... I understand the analogy but, while some early Whitesnake compositions did this, they certainly weren't the only band doing that at the time
    never implied anything of the sort

and it's more than the bass anf guitar... I even find the singiing very Coverdalian... Mogg (if it's still him) doesn't sound much like his own self of the later 70's (which is my UFO reference) >>> and BTW, I don't say this as really derogatory towards UFO... I liked 70's Whitesnake and still do

and BTW, I don't say this as really derogatory towards UFO... I liked 70's Whitesnake and still do
    My bad: I thought you were referencing "No Place To Run" as well

....and, although Im not a big fan of Whitesnake (70s or 80s), I dont get "the hate" either

and it's more than the bass anf guitar... I even find the singiing very Coverdalian... Mogg (if it's still him) doesn't sound much like his own self of the later 70's (which is my UFO reference)
    Yes, it is still Mogg. Personally I think his voice has held up quite well. As with most older vocalists it is a little bit deeper and the high notes don't come as easy, but I think he still has it for the most part.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    You can practically smell the bong water.
    That's because you knocked the bong over and it spilled onto the shag carpet. You'll never get that out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yes, it is still Mogg. Personally I think his voice has held up quite well. As with most older vocalists it is a little bit deeper and the high notes don't come as easy, but I think he still has it for the most part.

Steve Sly
    Well good for Mogg... I tend to prefer his Coverdale-sounding voice of today than his more instantly recognizable 70's classic voice... But that IMHO, of course... I'm sure many will beg to differ.