Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who were the Big 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    How is KC a big five? What big shows, tours did they ever do? Did they headline Cal Jam? Make a concert film shown in theaters? Were on the cover of Cream Magazine all the time?
    KC became famous by the release of debut album. In the years of activity, they never dropped out of the public eye , news about changes in staff, or on upcoming new album, were regularly placed on the front pages of the most popular musical magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    KC became famous by the release of debut album. In the years of activity, they never dropped out of the public eye , news about changes in staff, or on upcoming new album, were regularly placed on the front pages of the most popular musical magazines.
    +1

But I don't think public exposure or gigs are the relevant factors here. I think it is due to chronology - KC, Yes, PF and JT were all breaking new ground in 69.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    My Big 5 looks something like this:

Nessa Devil
    Seka
    Tori Welles
    Ginger Lynn
    Tabitha Stevens (pre-cosmetic surgery)

YMMV
    No Christie Canyon or Nina Hartley?

I personally don't think Floyd is prog but for the purposes of a commercially successful top 5 that represent the genre to most people it's probably:

Yes
    Floyd
    Tull
    ELP
    Genesis

Now I personally would go something more like

Yes
    Genesis
    King Crimson
    Tull
    ELP

I have a problem with any "5" list. Top tens are a lot more manageable and lead to less heartbreaking "I wanna put X on the list but that means I can't keep Y" decisions. When I was in college (let's face it, that's where the list-making insanity for most guys begins) and on to the corporate world (hey, what else is there to do in meetings when the marketing jagoff won't shut up) it has always been top ten, whether for sports, music, professional wrestling, movies, or...adult entertainment. Picking a supposed big 5 will always exclude a truly significant artist.

And on PE it always leads to "Pink Floyd/Rush/Jethro Tull aren't prog"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I always thought that the "Big 5" term was referring to those 5 early prog bands that achieved a certain level of notoriety and were sort of the defining groups that trail-blazed "progressive rock". As opposed to anyone's particular five favorite bands.

I think of the Big 5 as:
    Yes
    Genesis
    ELP
    King Crimson
    Moody Blues

A case can certainly be made for the inclusion of Tull and Floyd too, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I always thought that the "Big 5" term was referring to those 5 early prog bands that achieved a certain level of notoriety and were sort of the defining groups that trail-blazed "progressive rock". As opposed to anyone's particular five favorite bands.

I think of the Big 5 as:
    Yes
    Genesis
    ELP
    King Crimson
    Moody Blues
    If that's the definition then I'd have to say that's pretty much the list...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Are you joking?
    No. I swear I thought it up on my own in the first year of PE, independent of it's past. I had never heard it before. Then again that was back when we didn't sit around and try to categorize this sort of stuff. That seemed like the first bout of that shit- net nitpicking. I'm about as interested in that as how you arrange your silverware drawer.

And it's Yes, Genesis, Crimson, ELP and Gentle Giant, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    No Christie Canyon or Nina Hartley?
    Where's Hyapatia, Tracey Adams or Vanessa del Rio?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Where's Hyapatia, Tracey Adams or Vanessa del Rio?
    See, we gotta go with a top ten.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    No. I swear I thought it up on my own in the first year of PE, independent of it's past. I had never heard it before. Then again that was back when we didn't sit around and try to categorize this sort of stuff. That seemed like the first bout of that shit- net nitpicking. I'm about as interested in that as how you arrange your silverware drawer.

And it's Yes, Genesis, Crimson, ELP and Gentle Giant, IMO.
    From left to right:

Spreading knives, large forks, salad forks, teaspoons, soup spoons, misc.

As for you Big 5, I substitute Kansas for Genesis, just for my list because I never listened to Genesis back in the day, I listened to Kansas.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Wasn't this term coined here at PE?
    I first heard the term - relating to prog bands - in the seventies. And it referred to Yes, Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull.

In no conceivable universe are the likes of King Crimson, Gentle Giant or Camel "big"

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I first heard the term - relating to prog bands - in the seventies. And it referred to Yes, Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull.

In no conceivable universe are the likes of King Crimson, Gentle Giant or Camel "big"
    First, the three you mentioned are Big in the Prog universe. I could conversely contend that in no conceivable universe are Pink Floyd and JT Prog! Harumph.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    First, the three you mentioned are Big in the Prog universe. I could conversely contend that in no conceivable universe are Pink Floyd and JT Prog! Harumph.
    I didn't come here for an argument, so there! I'm just saying that in the British music press in the seventies, the term was used quite frequently when discussing progressive rock, and those are the five bands it referred to.

In purely artistic terms like lasting influence on other artists, I go for Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, VDGG and King Crimson.

In sales terms, Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull and Genesis.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-25-2013 at 05:50 PM.

it's Yes, Genesis, Crimson, ELP and Gentle Giant, IMO.
    Happy to share the same page with you, Sean.

I'm about as interested in that as how you arrange your silverware drawer.
    Well, soup spoons, forks, knives. Then under that dessert spoons, tea spoons.

That is exacty my recollection of the British TV/press take on it in the 70s and 80s.
    Tag Mike Oldfield, Alan Parsons and VDGG on to those 5, and those were the UK prog bands I was aware of in the 70s and 80s - until of course I started hearing Marillion on the radio.

To be honest, I first heard of King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel and Caravan in the 90s.

Soft Machine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Soft Machine ?
    I heard of Soft Machine earlier in fact, when I heard one track on an 80s compilation of 60s "progressive underground" Also on that compo, that I can remember were: Edgar Broughton Band, Blodwyn Pig, Traffic, Gun, Nirvana, Sabbath, Cream, Hendrix, Roy Harper, Spirit, Nice, Nick Drake, Jethro Tull, Focus, Hawkwind, Purple, Free, Steppenwolf, Canned Heat, Pink Fairies, Hawkwind, Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Tomorrow, Spooky Tooth.

Vanilla Fudge?

But should'nt SF be in the the Big 5 ?
    They influenced a lot of bands & musicians.

I didn't come here for an argument,
    Yes you did.

Wasn't the Big 5 a term coined here at PE?
    I'm not sure. Let's start a new thread and see!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

How many bands are in the "Big 5"?

Yes
    KC
    Genesis
    Floyd
    Tull
    ELP
    GG
    and Kansas (for the Americans)

so I'd go with 8...

Wouldn't that make it the "big 8" then?

Anyway, you left out RUSH so I guess that makes it 9.

I suppose it's ultimately pretty arbitrary as well as personal. Adding certain bands can give make it snowball. In other words you can get into the "well if you have such and such band then you have to have such and such band."