Thread: Imogen Heap's Upcoming Album

Imogen Heap's Upcoming Album

... seems to be about 3/4ths of the way done and you can listen to it right here:

www.imogenheap.com/heapsongs/

Alright, she may not be "prog," but she's definitely progressive, which is why I deemed it fit to post this on the main board. I was listening to it while sorting the laundry, which we all know isn't the proper way to listen to progressive music, but from what I could tell, it's up to her usual high standards and if you're a fan like I am, you'll most likely dig it!

So... enjoy!

I'm not sure if I'm diggin' this one yet or not...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm diggin' this one yet or not...
    Wow, that's exactly what I was about to post on the Charlotte Church thread. Ah, sometimes these things take time. And sometimes your first impression was right.

BUMPSKIS

No Immi fans here besides Turl (and I'm not even sure he's a fan)? I'm a little surprised. Maybe you folks just haven't heard her (and didn't want to check the link out, which may not be her best stuff to date, the verdict's still out on that). I think her music is very progressive without necessarily being what we associate as "prog." She's a singer/composer/musician/engineer/producer; a classically trained pianist who became a ProTools geek at the age of 12. But music always tends to do a better job of speaking for itself, so here's a few tracks from her breakout album, "Speak For Yourself:"

I'm definitely a fan of Speak For Yourself. I haven't heard the others. i'm a little shocked this thread isn't doing better too, especially with the Charlotte Church one doing pretty well. This song kills:

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm definitely a fan of Speak For Yourself. I haven't heard the others. i'm a little shocked this thread isn't doing better too, especially with the Charlotte Church one doing pretty well.
    I thought that too, so I invited the CC converts over here. I got one of Charlotte's EPs and had my first headphone listen last night and liked it, but partially because her music reminded me of Imogen's at times.

Speak For Yourself is definitely her best, but a couple of years before she made it, she was half of a "band" called Frou Frou. It was a 50/50 collaboration with a producer/musician named Guy Sigsworth. They only made one album (called "Details") and it's damned near as good as SFY. I like "Ellipse" too, but it was a slight letdown after SFY.

Dunno if she's prog or not, but I love Speak For Yourself. I like the fact that the production is so sharp, and there's enough complexity in the music for one to sink one's ears into. I actually found out about IH through Pandora; hearing a Frou Frou track that knocked me out and exploring from there. I've checked out her other stuff, but SFY is the one I keep coming back to.

My first of hers was Ellipse, so it kind of has a soft spot for me (although I do have and like Speak for Yourself). I've listened to a few of the in-progress tracks too and they are very cool.

Last time she came through tickets were gone in like seconds. I suspect she'd be a great one to see live.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Count me as someone is had been intrigued by some of her music. I found her on YouTube quite by accident. She was doing a live show with layered vocals. Caught my attention right away. I'll have to view the above videos when I have more time.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

i liked Frou Frou and her second solo album more than anything else really; debut was too Tori, and Ellipse lacked instrumentation which might've been the point, but it didn't work for me.

I'm not sure what the connection is with Imogen Heap and Charlotte Church, I'm not hearing it. Maybe a passing atmospheric phrase, but still... I like Charlotte because she has an amaze-balls operatic voice, is really emotional, and is layered over early 70's Pink Floyd rhythms except with modern instrumentation. Plus, there's like a cosmic transient feel to her music as well, that is addictive. It's really unique and artistic, and proggy.

Imogen Heap, while interesting as well, to me seems closer associated to Bjork. More talk-like breathy singing and poetry, with weird poppish backings. Not that any of that is bad, I just don't see the connection to CC, and it doesn't hit me in a way that makes me want to seek more out. I watched a few videos though.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I'm not sure what the connection is with Imogen Heap and Charlotte Church, I'm not hearing it. Maybe a passing atmospheric phrase, but still... I like Charlotte because she has an amaze-balls operatic voice, is really emotional, and is layered over early 70's Pink Floyd rhythms except with modern instrumentation. Plus, there's like a cosmic transient feel to her music as well, that is addictive. It's really unique and artistic, and proggy.

Imogen Heap, while interesting as well, to me seems closer associated to Bjork. More talk-like breathy singing and poetry, with weird poppish backings. Not that any of that is bad, I just don't see the connection to CC, and it doesn't hit me in a way that makes me want to seek more out. I watched a few videos though.
    Maybe it was just some of the melodies, I don't know. That and the fact that they're both on the outer fringes of pop music. I'd agree that there's more differences than likenesses between the two. Can't agree that Imogen's voice is "talk-like breathy" though; there's a lot of nuance and range to her singing; sometimes it's breathy and other times it's quite powerful. And I find her singing sexy as hell, fwiw.

I'm not nearly as familiar with CC's music as I am with Imogen's and it's probably too early to form a strong opinion, but I think I'll always prefer the latter, though I like them both. Perhaps the "early 70s Pink Floyd" connection is what kept me from connecting with Charlotte's music initially, as I was never a PF fan.

But "to each their own," said the woman as she kissed the cow.

There's also a short (but very interesting) appearance of Imogen Heap on the excellent Jeff Beck @ Ronnie Scott's DVD. ("Blanket") This and the video excerpt you posted above are two good reasons to look at this artist's work more closely. Prog or not , I don't care...

super old bump.

lovely tune "The Quiet" (not new, as it came out in 2017 I guess).

Banned
    It's creative stuff... .after a few listens, you'll appreciate it in a new way.