Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need an album\band that is in the vein of Damnation by Opeth.

I need an album\band that is in the vein of Damnation by Opeth.

It's important for it to be without distortion or overdrive. Just clean\acoustic guitar driven prog-rock, that is similar to Damnation.

I also need a post-rock album\band that is without, again, distortion\overdrive. This is kind of a side question because it's not really related to this forum, but I thought I should ask, in case anybody knows.

You can try Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses

For something Damnation-esque, I would suggest Anathema's Hindsight album, maybe Corde Oblique, Landberk or Rome (Flowers From Exile) as well.

Have you heard Talk Talk's final two albums? They have vocals, so depending on your post rock references it may or may not be what you're looking for.

What immediately came to my mind was Landberk. Always felt that Damnation was a bit Opeth's attempt at their sound.

New Katatonia reminds me of Damnation perfectly, it is an unplugged version of the previous lp.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    New Katatonia reminds me of Damnation perfectly, it is an unplugged version of the previous lp.
    good suggestion. also check out the first two Lunatic Soul releases from the Riverside vocalist.

Pinkroom - Psychsolstice.
    Nine Stones Close - Traces.

Thanks guys, I'll check everything. Do Porcupine Tree have an album that's without distortion? Because I'm looking for something like In Absentia, only without distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    good suggestion. also check out the first two Lunatic Soul releases from the Riverside vocalist.
    This was also the first thing I thought of.

What did distortion ever do to you?!?

Go check out Storm Corrosion, the side project with Wilson and Akerfeldt. Mostly mellow folk/prog.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Jon Neudorf
    Pain of Salvation's 12:5 is stellar. One of my all time favourite acoustic albums.

Regards,
    Jon

Landberk. I personally think Opeth do the style much better, though. Landberk have never really done much for me.

Maybe also Anekdoten in their calmer moments.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    What did distortion ever do to you?!?

Go check out Storm Corrosion, the side project with Wilson and Akerfeldt. Mostly mellow folk/prog.
    I like my distortion in prog metal. When I listen to mellower genres like prog and post rock, distortion just ruins them for me.

What about Steve Wilson's newest, The Raven? A departure from PT's heavier moments.
    Have you heard Agalloch, The Mantle? Here' s some Agalloch sound bytes: http://www.amazon.com/Agalloch/e/B00...ntt_mus_dp_pel

Post rock: I take it you've got some Radiohead? They're my fave. My fave album by them is Kid A I heard a new band from France, Phoenix, but they're not acoustic, and pretty poppy. I liked them though. Just thought of the Decemberist too. Now they are more acoustic, I don't know if they're considered Post rock??

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    For good acoustic prog, check out Challenging Gravity by Steve Unruh (of Resistor). Fantastic album, IMO.

What about Camel? Mikael openly acknowledges that he ripped off Camel on Damnation. Try any of their first four albums, Moonmadness in particular

chalkpie
    Go to the source of what he loves:

Comus
    Scott Walker - THE DRIFT
    ABBA (no joke)

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    Pinkroom - Psychsolstice.
    Seconded. Too bad more was not heard from this band.

Also, get Rare Bird's Epic Forest. It's Damnation thirty years prior.

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Cupcakes View Post
    For good acoustic prog, check out Challenging Gravity by Steve Unruh (of Resistor). Fantastic album, IMO.
    I'm so pleased to finally see someone else give this guy a shout out! Challenging Gravity is excellent, and so are ALL Steve's solo albums - I've bought every one of them and I highly recommend them to everyone here. A true talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    What about Camel? Mikael openly acknowledges that he ripped off Camel on Damnation. Try any of their first four albums, Moonmadness in particular
    Certainly one of his absolute top influences. And if you think Damnation sounds like Camel, try a direct lift on the song "Benighted" from Still Life!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Since people always tell me that they hear so much White Willow in Damnation, I guess I should unhumbly recommend White Willow. Pretty much any album apart from Storm Season is crunch free. Personally I hear mostly Camel and Porcupine Tree in Damnation. That said, it is a very lovely record, and by far my favorite album S. Wilson has been involved in.

J.

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/album/the-letters

This is my band. It was our album that we did with very very little distorted guitar. Mostly arpeggiated guitars.
    Listen to "Empty" for a good example of the album.

How about How To Measure A Planet by The Gathering ? Female vocals of course but check it out.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Since people always tell me that they hear so much White Willow in Damnation, I guess I should unhumbly recommend White Willow. Pretty much any album apart from Storm Season is crunch free.
    By all means, get Terminal Twilight. It’s stunning!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

N.P.:nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    You can try Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses
    Thanks for this recommendation, great album! Very strangely features a cover of a Jon English song (homegrown Aussie singer, who worked with Sebastian Hardie)

Suspended
    I'd echo the recommendation for Storm Corrosion. There is no distortion, no growl vocals, and only one track "Lock Howl", that is even slightly hard-edged. It's most certainly not what most people expected from a Wilson/Akerfeldt collaboration. I am not the only person who has heard echoes of Simon and Garfunkel in the Storm Corrosion album.

If you like Damnation, you will probably also like Opeth's Heritage, which is also free of growling.

Anathema are great, and worth checking out, but I don't find them at all similar to Opeth. Rather, I should say that recent Anathema is not at all similar to recent Opeth. I have not explored either band's earlier albums because judging by the descriptions I've read, it's not the kind of music that interests me.