Thread: FEATURED CD: Art Zoyd - Les Espaces Inquiets

FEATURED CD: Art Zoyd - Les Espaces Inquiets

Review from ProgArchives (zravkapt):
    Art Zoyd was/is one of the better groups in Avant-Prog. One of the greatest things to come out of France. They are similar in sound to Univers Zero but are generally more eclectic and weird. They formed in 1968 and originally were influenced by the Mothers Of Invention and Captain Beefheart. The first album was self-released in 1976. This is Zoyd's fifth album(not including the 1980 remake of the debut).

Leave it to Art Zoyd to start one of their albums with the most avant song on it. The first "Legendes" song, subtitled "La Foret Qui Avance", is a strange and mysterious piece. It's mostly strange noises and creepy voices whispering. The only real music here is the strings which come and go. One of the reasons I like this album so much, despite the odd beginning, is that it has two of my favourite AZ songs here: "Ceremonie" and "Migrations". Those two songs are really great prog music for 1983; they make Neo-Prog sound like Duran Duran in comparison. Of course with Duran Duran we're talking about a completely different "Rio".

"Ceremonie"(which you can listen to on PA) begins with dramatic organ before going into the main part of the song. Simple but effective bass playing with jangly acoustic guitar and some percussion. Then there is some great trumpet before some almost metal-like screeching from electric guitar. The end of the song is very avant though, with some weird Magma-esque vocals. "Migrations" is a song that every progger should hear at least once in their life. This song has some great bass from Thierry Zaboitzeff(why isn't he on PA yet?).

About 4 minutes in there is a great section with bass and a repeated piano part. Eventually we get another piano playing over top with viola, then some organ before it goes back again. This leads to a dissonant section with trumpet and more organ. Around 7 1/2 minutes we get a drum machine pattern with some very nice piano playing. Overdubbed trumpets appear. Later we get a very bizarre sound that goes back and forth in the left and right channels. I can only describe it as a cross between hearing a train go by and a bowling ball knocking over pins.

Of the three "Images" songs, "Cortege Des Officiels" is the most interesting. The last song and second "Legendes" piece, "La Bruit Du Fer", has some programmed drumming which almost sounds like the real thing. The bass part is unique sounding; this reminds me of a song that Einsturzende Neubauten did in the 90s. Art Zoyd are one of the only "rock" groups without a drummer. Beginning on this album they use drum machines and synths. Previously they were an almost acoustic group with electric bass and occasionally electric guitar and electric piano. After this album they dove headfirst into synths and programming, but not quite abandoning the violins and trumpet just yet.

Art Zoyd is a group that should be more known. It doesn't help that their music is expensive. Les Espaces Inquits is not their most consistent album but has some of the best music they did. For 1983 this is very heady and adventurous stuff. 4 stars.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Oh yeah! Love this album. One of my favs from them and I consider this album evidence that there was still great prog being made in the early '80s. While some went more mainstream, others stayed underground...where this kinda music came from.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I love this ! Spooky stuff.
    Its not much spoken of, which has always puzzled me.

sandwiched between 2 classic albums this one is good but somehow not as essential

The first six by the Zoyd are essential to me. This is probably the worst of those but still great.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Wish this was as available as their other early works. Only heard it once, but it was a winner.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    The first six by the Zoyd are essential to me. This is probably the worst of those but still great.
    Yeah, good stuff for Halloween.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I prefer everything that came before this one....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

chalkpie
    How come the drummer never shows up? Is he always hungover or something?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

At one point he did show up but later got fired and substitute by silicone beats

All their drummers kept exploding, so they said "Fuck it!" (or however you say that in French).

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    All their drummers kept exploding, so they said "Fuck it!" (or however you say that in French).
    Hey, pardon your fuckin' French, buddy, there's children around!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post

At one point he did show up but later got fired and substitute by silicone beats
    Do these guys think they're Bartok or something? He doesn't need a drummer. They do.

Do these guys think they're Bartok or something? He doesn't need a drummer. They do.
    Frankie I missed you

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    so they said "Fuck it!" (or however you say that in French).
    That's: fuck it

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yeah, when they let Denis tear it up on Generation Sans Futur it leaves you wanting for more.

They hold DD in check for the most part on the Haxan album but he comes up with some pretty cool drum beats throughout.

Listened to them a lot in the 80's and 90's. They were very cinematic/modern classical in their approach. Yes, there was progressive music in those years- It didn't all have to be RIO or harsh. Which is the double LP? I would drop acid and listen to that lying on the floor...

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Which is the double LP? I would drop acid and listen to that lying on the floor...
    Phase IV

chalkpie
    Frankie I missed you
    Hey man - still here! But nerding out on a massive Sibelius binge and spending more time at TalkClassical at el momento, which is like the PE of classical, except the nerd factor might even be greater. No joke. Some great dudes though and a bunch of modern classical fanatics that really know they're shit. What ye' spinning these days lad?

Hey man - still here! What ye' spinning these days lad?
    Look at the Make a Rising thread I just posted
    And for heaven's ske join us at Avant Progressive FB man - we need you there !

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Listened to them a lot in the 80's and 90's. They were very cinematic/modern classical in their approach. Yes, there was progressive music in those years- It didn't all have to be RIO or harsh. Which is the double LP? I would drop acid and listen to that lying on the floor...
    That's fuckin' brave.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

They have played 3 times in Denmark (or is it 4) and I was there.

First gig was the Berlin album, next time was to silent movies (Dreyer, a.o.) and Daniel Denis was there behind some keyboards - no drumkit.
    Last time they played outdoors to the Metropolis movie by Fritz Lang.

Outstanding!

Look at the Make a Rising thread I just posted
    MaR is one of my fave bands currently operative. They're truly "same, same but different" to everything else I know in rock.

As for Les Espaces, I bought it on the Cryonic vinyl along with Odyssée, and later got their whole back catalog on vinyl. Although AZ never really went wrong (apart from the Marathonerre releases, which were accompanying a physical art instalment and therefore remain somewhat difficult to point down without seeing the actual work), I always thought Espaces was the patchiest of the "transitional" (i.e. mid-period) AZ records.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    MaR is one of my fave bands currently operative. They're truly "same, same but different" to everything else I know in rock.

I always thought Espaces was the patchiest of the "transitional" (i.e. mid-period) AZ records.
    Well.. Steve F. told us they broke up :-(
    that sucks
    I realize Espaces is a sort of "lost" album in the AZ catalog for me...
    Guess its time for a revisit

Just pulled out Les Espaces today because of this thread. The opening creepy number and then Ceremonie are excellent. Probably the high points of the album to me.

The next three are Gerard pieces and could fit in with much of Phase IV. Low key at times but all very good.

The first half of Migrations is great but the second half I think meanders on too long. It lasts for over 6 minutes and I kept checking the running time because it seemed like a loooonnnngggg 6 minutes. What's going on in this section is cool but could have been cut in half. Only real complaint with the album.

The last track has a nice build up.