Thread: Anybody been to a music festival abroad ?

Anybody been to a music festival abroad ?

Live in the UK & am seriously considering attending the Sweden Rock Festival next year . Its an onsite camping festival but it's a long way to go to carry too much equipment . Has anybody done it & what was your preferred method i.e. camping , camper van , hotel etc ? I would be travelling alone but money isn't an objective !
    Last edited by Rufus; 10-18-2013 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Live in the UK & am seriously considering attending the Sweden Rock Festival next year . Its an onsite camping festival but it's a long way to go to carry too much equipment . Has anybody done it & what was your preferred method i.e. camping , camper van , hotel etc ? I would be travelling alone but money isn't an objective !
    Well, if money isn't an objective I would say hotel + hired car for transport locally and skip the whole camping thing, but hey I just hate camping :-). Probably been to more festivals abroad then here in the Netherlands, let me see: Progscape 96, Progfest 97, NEARfest 2000 + 2002 + 2005 + 2008, Night Of The Prog @ Loreley (twice) and Summers End 2012. In all cases went for hotel which meant in some cases actually staying at the same hotel where acts where staying. Always an odd thing to bump into someone 'famous' at breakfast :-)

my camping days are mostly over, unless you can get access to some kind of electricity (just one outlet is enough)...
    It's always a drag that you get some idiots that party until the wee hours in the morning and stop the others to get some kind of rest (hard enough to achieve in calm camping conditions)... and then they miss the first couple of concerts the next day

Last time I did camp at a festival was at Lorelei's 3daysofloveandpeace in '05. That was OK, because the average age was in the 40's...

I could think of renting one of those camper vans or mobile homes, though. But that increases the budget megabucks compraed to a car rental and cheap hotel in the area

Indeed, I don't think it's very practical to haul your camping gear through airports (how else would you travel from UK until Sweden, unless taking fairys, in which case, the return trip might take you longer than a week)... Campingwares increase your lugage tax penalties amazingly high; to the point that it might be cheaper to buy a tent and a sleeping sack in situ... and abandoning it or selling it afterwards
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I live in the US and often thought it would be cool to go to Summer's End or the Berg Herzberg or High Voltage(not around anymore anyway). Not sure I would want to do it by myself though. Of course I would include the festival as part of a European or English vacation but it would certainly be a big part.

It's interesting how several European prog fans have made it over to the US for prog festivals especially Nearfest. Of course many of them are in bands that are playing(if you can count that).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-18-2013 at 10:34 PM.

I went to Amsterdam for the Gong Family Unconvention back in 2006. This was a festival in the city proper, so no camping involved. I stayed at a bed and breakfast which was within walking distance of the Melkweg. Worked out just fine.

I made it to a couple of Prog Farms from Canada, but that was pretty easy since they have a large dorm full of bunk beds for people to use. We were able to borrow sleeping bags.
    There's nowt so queer as folk

i was a fixture at roskilde (denmark) during the entire 1990s.

I went up to Denmark in the early 90s once to go to the Midfyn festival, but I stayed with an old mate from the forces and didn't have to pay anything, so that's probably not much help. My lasting impression of my week in Denmark was that everything was bloody expensive even by Irish standards, and that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I went up to Denmark in the early 90s once to go to the Midfyn festival, but I stayed with an old mate from the forces and didn't have to pay anything, so that's probably not much help. My lasting impression of my week in Denmark was that everything was bloody expensive even by Irish standards, and that's saying something.
    Went to High Voltage but that was a none camper so stayed in a cheap B&B at Kings X. Uncomfortable but it served its purpose . But yeah , London transport & food was the most expensive part of the W/E.

Like others my camping days are over & thats why the cruises appeal to me . However money is defo an objective !