Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest some cool Box sets for Xmas

Captain Beefheart-Sun Zoom Spark-1970 to 1972.4 cd box containing Lick My Decals Off,Baby;The Spotlight Kid;Clear Spot;and Out-Takes,Alternate Versions from the other sessions.

I'm enjoying mine.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Oddly enough I dobn't remember Trane recording that many albums for Ahmet... I can picture 6 or 7 .... but 10??
    From the box's wikipedia page:

Giant Steps (released 1960)
    Coltrane Jazz (released 1961)
    My Favorite Things (released 1961)
    Bags and Trane [with Milt Jackson] (released 1961)
    Olé Coltrane (released 1962)
    Coltrane Plays the Blues (released 1962)
    Coltrane's Sound (released 1964)
    The Avant-Garde [with Don Cherry] (1966)
    The Coltrane Legacy (released 1970)
    Alternate Takes (released 1975)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Some boxes I picked up this year were the Ant Phillips Harvest Of The Heart, Tony Banks A Chord Too Far and Area The Essential Box Set Collection. And although I've had it for a few years now, I'd always recommend the Miles Davis 2nd. Quintet box, which contains every note that band recorded in the studio - outstanding.
    I got that Miles Davis one a couple of years ago; essential jazz! Wouldn't mind having that Tony Banks.

If it was for the Impulse! years, I' d go for it right away

not that big on his Atlantic days (Olé being the exception that confirms this rule)
    I know you're not a hard bop/post bop fan, but I am... and that Atlantic stuff is great. Some of it has Tyner and Jones, but they hadn't settled on Garrison until the Impulse albums. I love that period when Trane was in mid transition (no pun) between his chord progression obsession and his modal thing (that he got further and further into on the Impulse albums). One of the interesting things about the Atlantic box is hearing how bop influenced McCoy was in the early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    From the box's wikipedia page:

Giant Steps (released 1960)
    Coltrane Jazz (released 1961)
    My Favorite Things (released 1961)
    Bags and Trane [with Milt Jackson] (released 1961)
    Olé Coltrane (released 1962)
    Coltrane Plays the Blues (released 1962)
    Coltrane's Sound (released 1964)
    The Avant-Garde [with Don Cherry] (1966)
    The Coltrane Legacy (released 1970)
    Alternate Takes (released 1975)
    geeezzzz, WTF ... a boxset getsa wikipedia page??

OK thanks, I see the ones I'd forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I know you're not a hard bop/post bop fan, but I am... and that Atlantic stuff is great. Some of it has Tyner and Jones, but they hadn't settled on Garrison until the Impulse albums. I love that period when Trane was in mid transition (no pun) between his chord progression obsession and his modal thing (that he got further and further into on the Impulse albums). One of the interesting things about the Atlantic box is hearing how bop influenced McCoy was in the early days.
    I don't mind that much the Post-Bop stuff (though it's not a genre per se), but you're right, I much prefer his Modal-jazz era that came about with Africa/Brass and Olé
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

geeezzzz, WTF ... a boxset getsa wikipedia page??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_He...tic_Recordings

^^^^

Naaaahhh, I believed you on parole , but it's the very fact that wiki allows the opening of a page for such vacuous things as a boxset... Not exactly my idea of what an encyclopedia should hold content of... even for web standards.... IMHO, anyways
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^^^^

Naaaahhh, I believed you on parole , but it's the very fact that wiki allows the opening of a page for such vacuous things as a boxset... Not exactly my idea of what an encyclopedia should hold content of... even for web standards.... IMHO, anyways
    Really don't understand this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Really don't understand this.
    why not open up a wiki page on every time the clap was caught by a groupie from a rock star... Limited interest for the public, IMHO

I mean, this boxset will be history (sold out) in a few years and that wiki page almost irrelevant.

why not open up a wiki page on every time the clap was caught by a groupie from a rock star... Limited interest for the public, IMHO

I mean, this boxset will be history (sold out) in a few years and that wiki page almost irrelevant.
    I think it's ridiculous for a non-casual fan of music to hold an opinion like that.

I think it's ridiculous for a non-casual fan of music to hold an opinion like that.
    to each his own idea of what should be an encyclopedia, I guess

this kind of page is almost an advertisement page for WEA, AFAIAC
    Last edited by Trane; 11-12-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Again, I don't understand this. If you're a fan of the artist, or are curious about the artist, how is it irrelevant?

Agreed.

to each his own idea of what should be an encyclopedia, I guess

this kind of page is almost an advertisement page for WEA, AFAIAC
    Again, how so? It's information.

I use Wikipedia all the time to learn more about an artist's discography. Why is that a bad thing?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

ART BEARS: The Art Box

This Heat ‎– Out Of Cold Storage

King Crimson . The Great Deceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Again, how so? It's information.

I use Wikipedia all the time to learn more about an artist's discography. Why is that a bad thing?
    I don't see how a boxset issued nearly 50 years after the artiste's death relates to "his" discography... It's just a marketting product having no incidence on the original discography... If you want to mention the boxset (which is legit), add it to the artiste's discography and biography... Opening a page strictly for that boxset certanly seems abusive (to moi, anyways)

But never mind, I may be "old game", but it's a question of rhetoric about what to expect from an encyclopedia...

but it's a question of rhetoric about what to expect from an encyclopedia...
    I'd also suggest its a question of recognizing its a Wiki and NOT an encyclopedia. They're different things. Though honestly, if I wanted information on John Coltrane releases, I wouldn't understand why ANY information would be omitted from either regardless of whether its in print or out of print, released while the artist is living or posthumously, individual album or box set. I'm sure there's a resource somewhere for the kind of ideological purity in discography listings that omits "vacuous" things like boxed sets though. As to the suggestion that the page is little more than an advertisement for WEA, what gave it away? Was it the complete lack of buy buttons, lack of links to the WEA site or lack of links to all major online music platforms where it can be streamed/downloaded?

Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    I'd also suggest its a question of recognizing its a Wiki and NOT an encyclopedia.kind of ideological purity They're different things.

fair enough

I bought this recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I bought this recently.

This looks like a "must have" for me....I had ALL of these on vinyl back-in-the-day and only 2 or 3 on CD as of now.

Do any other these albums have bonus material???......thx.

Here's a link with the track listing. http://www.israbox.me/1146603467-bil...1978-2015.html There's a few bonus tracks, but nothing significant.

This is mighty tempting ... Are there individual booklets with liner-notes & credits or is it alltogether in a single booklet?

yeah, the ELO box set is a treasure. all the classic albums remastered with bonus material.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    yeah, the ELO box set is a treasure. all the classic albums remastered with bonus material.
    Agreed. I picked up a new copy from the UK for $62 with shipping. It's great to have the full discography in one box set. Eldorado is my favourite release but I enjoy quite a bit of their catalogue, especially there earlier releases (counting back from Eldorado).

This is mighty tempting ... Are there individual booklets with liner-notes & credits or is it alltogether in a single booklet?
    One booklet. And it's a classy one! The only criticism I have concerning this set is that the Spectrum disc is very hard to remove from the gatefold sleeve. No problem with the other discs which are housed in non fold out sleeves.

^^

thx

I like Turtles, Shortbread cookies and Fruitcake myself.

Oh not the kind of boxed set your on about?

DtB

Be aware that the ELO one does not contain the Xanadu soundtrack, to which ELO contributed half of the songs and most of which were hits.