Thread: Quidam

Quidam

hey folks, have just finished the refresher on Alone Together. What an amazing album that is! Sad they lost all of that agressive edge on Saiko. Is Ziółkowski the best bass player out there? And with Wróblewski on drums (that jazzy swing style) they are pure fun. Flutes to die for. Awesome!

I agree, This is an awesome album. They also released a double CD/ DVD, Strong Together about 3 years ago. If you like Quidam, this is a must have. You really get to see what great musicians they are, and the barefoot fiddle player chic is a real treat to watch. Most of Alone Together is on this. They had a trailer of this show on youtube a few years ago. Not sure if it is still there.

yeah, got that one. that chick with a violin and no bra was uber cool Also liked that dude on flute (Depeche Mode style shades/hair) doing kayak trip thingy with his flute. Bass guitar dude was visibly moved by the music same as the drummer. Meller was too static tho... Will give Saiko another spin tonight.

I didn't pursue Saiko because there is only one song in English. I'm finicky, that way.

I really like Quidam - they have a rare ability to pack the stage with musicians, and yet spread their music so that everyone in the band gets properly heard and can demonstrate their ability. Anyway, I heard that there is going to be a English version of Saiko. Perhaps it has fallen through as it has been a few months since I heard this.

I quite like their very first album, although it borders on the cheezy right from the start.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I still love Quidam. To me, it was one of the best symphonic-by-the-numbers rock albums at the time, much more engaging than many of the early releases of the more vaunted third-wavers. Sny aniolow / Angel's Dreams was more lightweight and patchy but still enjoayble, Pob niebem czas was more consistent but never really engage me in every level like the first one. Hence I've not investigated the post-Derkowska era.

I am a little late to the party here, and just recently learned of Quidam while searching on Riverside. When I found the Guitarist to replace Piotr, I found Quidam.
    I got a copy Strong Together, and have been streaming the full concert from Youtube. Beautiful music, layering, and one hell of a Bassist. I also love the use of the Flute, Violin and everything else they do.I am slowly listening to and searching out more.

By the way, do many of these bands do their work in English to be able to attract a larger audience? I'm glad they do for whatever reason.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    The last album I found (used) had a male vocalist...is that still the case? I loved the original female vocalist's vox, whether singing in English or Polish...

zero issues with Polish, Deus ex Machina do all their stuff in Italian which makes it sound even better. JPL sings in French... Lizard are singing in Polish and this is freaking awesome (cant understand a thing tho)

DEM lyrics are Latin, for the most part.

Devoto is all Italian, eh?

Wow, I somehow forgot about this band. I think I still own the first 2 or 3 albums.
    I wasn't aware they carried on from there

Nice Camel influenced Neo Prog. If you like that you should check the very similar band from Poland "Albion".

Nothing I'm to wild about now, but man there was some decent Neo Prog back then, where has that gone now?

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Wow, I somehow forgot about this band. I think I still own the first 2 or 3 albums.
    I wasn't aware they carried on from there

Nice Camel influenced Neo Prog. If you like that you should check the very similar band from Poland "Albion".

Nothing I'm to wild about now, but man there was some decent Neo Prog back then, where has that gone now?
    Retrospective is pretty good. Re:search hitting harder than Perception... ah, in English for those who care.

wondering what Dianoya are up to....

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    Devoto is all Italian, eh?
    Hence "for the most part."

Quidam were excellent when they played ROSFest a few years back. The Polish bands have all been very good live acts that I have seen at ROSFest (Quidam,Collage, Believe, Riverside and Osada Vida) but do like the songs in their native tongue more, having heard the language a lot spoken by my paternal grandparents (not that I speak much of the language, but I do have a Polish last name).