Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: New Transatlantic on January 27th, 2014: "Kaleidoscope"

With all the talk about Pete's vocal in the title track, I thought I'd chime in and say that while I also do not like his vocal, I really do like that part musically. Great melody and addition, only wish someone else sang it.

After listening more than 20 times, still think that Pete's vocals in that track should had been deleted. Is the only weak segment on an almost perfect song. Of course this is in IMO
    Last edited by gilawi; 02-22-2016 at 06:01 PM.

And I like them, what do I win?

I listened to this again yesterday. It never made much of an impression on me at first (although it is better live) It's pleasant enough, but I had trouble remembering most of it. Not like the other three at all in that regard. As a one off it's kind of enjoyable though.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    After listening more than 20 times, still think that Pete's vocals in that track should had been deleted. Is the only weak segment on an almost perfect song. Of course this is in IMO
    ^^I still struggle with that part & why they included it!

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    ^^I still struggle with that part & why they included it!
    Yeah, revisiting this album, it is definitely the weak moment on the album. I love Pete, he's great in every way (bass, backing vox, composition, melodic sense, and outright enthusiasm for every project he's involved in), but he is not a great lead vocalist, as he's proven a few times with Transatlantic (not the least of which was on their first tour, where they played a medley of Beard/Flower Kings/Marillion/Dream Theater songs, and Pete bravely (but foolishly) took on "The Great Escape" ... what?!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

His performance is definitely not great but it adds a bit of an unexpected twist to what would otherwise have been a by numbers transatlantic epic. (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, revisiting this album, it is definitely the weak moment on the album. I love Pete, he's great in every way (bass, backing vox, composition, melodic sense, and outright enthusiasm for every project he's involved in), but he is not a great lead vocalist, as he's proven a few times with Transatlantic (not the least of which was on their first tour, where they played a medley of Beard/Flower Kings/Marillion/Dream Theater songs, and Pete bravely (but foolishly) took on "The Great Escape" ... what?!
    That doesn't really bother me. It's not like he's channeling Steve Howe or anything.

Kaleidoscope is a great song which I return to on a regular basis but I always skip the first 17 minutes.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I need to revisit this one. It didn't grab me as much as the others on my first few listens. I did very much like the two cd Kaleidoscope Demos that Neal Morse released on his Inner Circle series. This might have been a case where they would have been better to stick closer to Neal's initial vision for the songs rather than changing them so much. But I will re-listen again with fresh ears.

More interesting question (to me, at least) is whether there will be a 5th album forthcoming?

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    More interesting question (to me, at least) is whether there will be a 5th album forthcoming?
    Portnoy tweeted something about still being "between albums" not too long ago. I took that to mean not too soon (Marillion is looking very active the next couple of years) but not never. I've still never managed to see them live and would really like to get another chance.

Portnoy and Morse have publicly talked about working on a new Neal Morse Band album (which is their current project) with more sessions for Flying Colors planned, so I would think that Transatlantic will have to wait until at least 2017.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Apparently the Neal Morse Band is going for a double concept album planned for the second half of this year so there's probably going to be a heavy touring schedule for this one. A new TA album in 2017 is optimistic. Remember the last one took 5 years and it was released in 2014.

Yes, the NMB is this Sept/Oct, touring likely toward the end of the year. FC will meet to start writing/recording this fall. I'd say best case scenario for TA would be to start writing/recording in '17 some time. But maybe not release/tour until '18 and that far in advance seems just silly to even talk about...

But, look for Portnoy's announcement later today (3/23) about his involvement with CTTE, maybe that will give a surprise TA appearance? I'm not betting on it, though.

I've heard this album 4 times now and it's a winner. I think I may even like it more than SMPTe and Whirlwind. The two epics are more Flower-Kingsy which I love.

Can anyone tell me if Neal or Roine take over Pete's dreaded vocal section in the title track is played live? A good opportunity to right a wrong if there ever was one.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Kaleidoscope is a great song which I return to on a regular basis but I always skip the first 17 minutes.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I've heard this album 4 times now and it's a winner. I think I may even like it more than SMPTe and Whirlwind. The two epics are more Flower-Kingsy which I love.

Can anyone tell me if Neal or Roine take over Pete's dreaded vocal section in the title track is played live? A good opportunity to right a wrong if there ever was one.
    Might be insulting to Pete to do that. Actually its not that bad on the live DVD. He gets a nice applause.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...