Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vote for Yes (and Peter Gabriel too) for the R&RHoF

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Had to Google that one. YIKES! Talk about something that could make a man wake up screaming in the middle of the night!

I was wondering how many even remember them. I have no idea why I do.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

I was wondering how many even remember them. I have no idea why I do.
    Definitely "before my time", thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    What does this mean for Yes if they get in?... I doubt that you will see Sherwood, Khoroshev, David, O. Wakeman or Davison inducted and IMHO it wouldn't be appropriate for them to be inducted either.
    Agreed, though they inducted Metallica's current bass player who only had played on one album with them at that point. I didn't think he deserved the induction, when so many others in other bands get left out. Really seems pretty arbitrary. Even the Wilson sisters said that the bassist and drummer from the uber-successful '90s edition of Heart deserved and should have been inducted, but they had no say.

Who else would you induct with The Beach Boys? Darryl Dragon maybe?
    Bruce Johnston, Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar.

Any thoughts of who of Deep Purple would be inducted? Obviously Blackmore, Gillan, Lord, Paice, and Glover are locks. Would they include David Coverdale? Steve Morse? Glenn Hughes? Christopher Cross?
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 10-18-2013 at 11:26 PM.

That picture looks like it's from about 1958.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Peter Gabriel – I have my doubts he will make it, but maybe.
    Steve Sly
    I think if Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Paul were inducted as solo artists, then there's a good chance for Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I think if Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Paul were inducted as solo artists, then there's a good chance for Peter.
    No chance

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    No chance
    Seriously, Rufus!! Enough is enough. I know the only reason that you're saying that is because of your hatred of Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Any thoughts of who of Deep Purple would be inducted? Obviously Blackmore, Gillan, Lord, Paice, and Glover are locks. Would they include David Coverdale? Steve Morse? Glenn Hughes? Christopher Cross?
    Or even Rod Evans, after all the controversy. I think he's just as deserving as Coverdale, if not more. Let's not forget Simper.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I would have thought Blackmore, Gillan, Lord, Paice, Glover and Morse.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I would have thought Blackmore, Gillan, Lord, Paice, Glover and Morse.
    Morse is an interesting scenario. Yes, they've done a lot with him. But they would be honored for their classic work, IMO. I'd be curious to see how that plays out.

I would certainly include Mk1 and Mk3 before I'd consider the later incarnations.

Bruce I understand, but why the other two? I had the impression they were just a couple back up musicians.

Hopefully, they'd have the sense to at least induct everyone from the band's original existence, ie including Rod Evans, Nick Simper, Hughes, Coverdale, and Tommy Bolin. I know acknowledgement of Mark IV is a bit of a stretch, but it would be nice to have Tommy recognized in some fashion (maybe if The James Gang gets inducted some day, he'll be included with them).

In any event, I somehow doubt they would include Steve Morse, Joe Satriani, and Don Airey (at least not in relation to Deep Purple...hopefully, someday they'll induct The Dixie Dregs and/or Morse as a solo artist...but I somehow think the odds of that happening fall somewhere between slim and none at all).

Bruce I understand, but why the other two? I had the impression they were just a couple back up musicians.
    Though the Beach Boys have used more than their fair share of session and touring musicians, Chaplin and Fataar were full-fledged members, even composing and singing leads (That's Chaplin on "Sail On, Sailor").

Wikipedia actually explains it best:

Blondie Chaplin, along with drummer Ricky Fataar, joined the Beach Boys when original drummer Dennis Wilson suffered a hand injury that left him unable to play the drums for almost two years. For the Beach Boys, it was a period in which long-time member Bruce Johnston had departed the band, and one-time leader Brian Wilson's participation in the group was very limited. As a result, Chaplin and Fataar joined the Beach Boys as full-fledged members and not merely as backing musicians. Chaplin left the group in 1973 after a dispute with the Beach Boys' management; Fataar remained with the band until the following year. Chaplin sang lead on various Beach Boys songs from two studio albums, Carl and the Passions – "So Tough" and Holland. They additionally collaborated with Carl Wilson and Mike Love on the song "Leaving This Town". 1973 saw the first live album The Beach Boys in Concert, upon which Fataar performed. It featured a live version of the previously unreleased Chaplin/Fataar/Love collaboration "We Got Love", which was originally intended to be released on the Holland album.

And most recently, Chaplin got invited by Brian Wilson to sing on his new album and he is appearing on some of his current tour, singing "Sail On, Sailor".

This is a video from their era:

What happened to that other Hall of Fame thread?

Yes didn't make it in.

Calling Dr. Love! Kiss is set to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, alongside other new inductees Nirvana, Hall & Oates, Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt and Cat Stevens.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Very disappointing...I can't help but wonder if all the acrimony in the band over the years and the last five years in particular didn't make Yes into damaged goods in the eyes of the committee.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Banned
    Very disappointing...I can't help but wonder if all the acrimony in the band over the years and the last five years in particular didn't make Yes into damaged goods in the eyes of the committee.
    Again, using your Anderson fandom to cloud your judgment. Yes have been heavy road dogs in the past few years, despite the illnesses and lineup changes. Plus, they released one new studio album and one live album. Genesis was basically dormant for 10 years. Then, they had a big reunion tour. Then, a gigantic reissue campaign. Boom!! They're in. Similarly, Peter Gabriel has been busy reliving the past. Now, he's in. I think if Yes keeps going on, they'll be a shoe-in for the next induction. They have a big box set coming. Plus, they have an album coming next year. That's bound to be followed by a big tour. I doubt very much that the hall knows(or even cares) about the fighting band members. That didn't stop them from inducting The Stones, The Faces, The Beatles, The Kinks, Blondie, The Police, or Cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Why not? She was good enough for Van Halen.
    Did I miss something here? As far as I can tell and from what I have read- Ronstadt has never been involved with Van Halen in any way, shape, or form....

Care to fill us in? Or are you confusing Ronstadt for Valerie Bertinelli?
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post
    Did I miss something here? As far as I can tell and from what I have read- Ronstadt has never been involved with Van Halen in any way, shape, or form....

Care to fill us in? Or are you confusing Ronstadt for Valerie Bertinelli?
    You're No Good, The Betty Evertt(written by Clint Ballard Jr.) song that Linda made famous, was covered by Van Halen on their second album(Van Halen II).

Banned

Don't believe me? Here's proof.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sad to see Deep Purple didn't get in.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    You're No Good, The Betty Evertt(written by Clint Ballard Jr.) song that Linda made famous, was covered by Van Halen on their second album(Van Halen II).
    Oops...completely forgot about that tune.... my bad.
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Well, it's a good thing that the fanbase has avoided fanning the flames of any band acrimony and has stood united with a single voice.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/