Thread: Isn't this where ....

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar

Isn't this where ....

.. we came in?

I was listening to Citizen Cain's Somewhere but Yesterday the other day. The album ends with a chord out of the silence which is one of the chords from the first track Jonny had Another Face. So basically the album's ending is also the beginning.

The quote of this thread's title is from The Wall.
    The album turns full circle with its closing words "Isn't this where...", the first words of the phrase that begins the album, "...we came in?", with a continuation of the melody of the last song hinting at the cyclical nature of Waters' theme.
    ~ Wiki

Are there more albums which have the last track attached to the first? I'm not really talking about thematic similarities perse (like on concept albums), more like it can be played as an actual loop. Picking up where they have left/ leaving where they picked up..
    It might seem a bit vague what I'm trying to say here
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    On Abbey Road the missing last chord of "Her Majesty" is resolved by the first chord of "Come Together".
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    On Abbey Road the missing last chord of "Her Majesty" is resolved by the first chord of "Come Together".
    ... but that's a complete coincidence because Her Majesty was supposed to be included in the medley on Side 2, between Mean Mr Mustard and Polythene Pam. So the missing last chord is actually resolved by the first chord of Polythene Pam.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post

Are there more albums which have the last track attached to the first? I'm not really talking about thematic similarities perse (like on concept albums), more like it can be played as an actual loop. Picking up where they have left/ leaving where they picked up..
    This isn't precisely what you're referring to, but in a similar vein, Dream Theater made a string of albums where the final chord was actually the beginning of the next album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This isn't precisely what you're referring to, but in a similar vein, Dream Theater made a string of albums where the final chord was actually the beginning of the next album.
    DT's "Scenes From A Memory" album ends with the sound of a phonograph needle at the end of a record, and of course the song "The Glass Prison" starts with that same needle sound. Of course the two songs have nothing to do with each other. One is the end of a concept story, the other a song on alcoholism.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    ... but that's a complete coincidence because Her Majesty was supposed to be included in the medley on Side 2, between Mean Mr Mustard and Polythene Pam. So the missing last chord is actually resolved by the first chord of Polythene Pam.
    And in fact, Her Majesty wasn't supposed to be on the album at all. It was meant to be left off, but apparently the song was accidentally included at the end of the master tape that got sent to the mastering lab. If I remember correctly, it wasn't even listed on the original album cover or labels on the first pressing.

Dark Side Of The Moon begins and ends with a heartbeat loop.

Wish You Were Here begins and ends with a synthesizer drone on the same note, a G I believe.

Queen tried doing something similar on their first three albums. The reason the first album ends with a brief instrumental version of Seven Seas Of Rye, with the intention that the full song would open the next album. But as the track list for Queen II shaped up, they ended up putting all of Freddie's songs on side two, which broke the continuity that they had meant to create originally.

Now, on Queen II, Seven Seas Of Rye (last song on side two) ends with a bit of the band singing I Do Like To Beside The Sea Side, which is the tune being played by the fairground organ at the beginning of Brighton Rock, the opening song on Sheer Heart Attack.

The Firesign Theater album "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers" segues into the next album, "We're All Bozos On This Bus". Which might segue into the next album, I don't remember.

They got that from the Bad Brains who did that in the early 80s
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The Firesign Theater album "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers" segues into the next album, "We're All Bozos On This Bus". Which might segue into the next album, I don't remember.
    I guess that's what I get for not getting We're All Bozos On This Bus. I only have the first three albums.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I guess that's what I get for not getting We're All Bozos On This Bus. I only have the first three albums.
    Wow- that's the proggiest comedy album of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    DT's "Scenes From A Memory" album ends with the sound of a phonograph needle at the end of a record, and of course the song "The Glass Prison" starts with that same needle sound. Of course the two songs have nothing to do with each other. One is the end of a concept story, the other a song on alcoholism.
    But it goes further than that. The end of Six Degrees fades back in at the beginning of Train Of Thought, which ends with a (missing) piano note that begins Octavarium.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Not an "album closer/album kicker," but of course a very obvious prog example is the end of Karn Evil, 1st Impression Part 1 ending the original A-side of the record, and then picking up again on the B-side for Part 2. Since they are actually titled Part 1 and Part 2, I suppose it's more a case of one long piece, broken into two halves. Still, the lyrics were obviously meant to acknowledge the split.

Hm. The *obvious example*, to ME at least, would be Camel's The Snow Goose.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Wow- that's the proggiest comedy album of all time!
    (Bela Lugosi mode)
    Proggiest? Perhaps. Funniest? Perhaps not. (Bela Lugosi mode off)

I love the first three Firesign album, especially the bit on the first one where the President sends the Air Force to drop 10,000 hardbound copies of The Naked Lunch on Western Nigeria, thus toppling the last bastion of unhippness in the Free World.

Jefferson James
    XTC had a string of lyric references linking four albums: Skylarking (the song "Ballet for a Rainy Day" has the lyric "orange and lemon"), Oranges and Lemons (the song "Chalkhills and Children" has the lyric "while some nonsuch net holds me aloft"), Nonsuch (the song "Then She Appeared" has the lyric "apple venus on a half open shell") and, finally, the album Apple Venus Vol. I.

I think I read somewhere Andy Partridge said it was purely coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    (Bela Lugosi mode)
    Proggiest? Perhaps. Funniest? Perhaps not. (Bela Lugosi mode off)
    I chose my words carefully It's far from a laugh-out-loud type of funny, and in many ways it's less overtly funny than the first three. It's so dense; it's more of an intellectual stimulation than anything. I really do love it but I don't think it's their funniest album in a conventional sense. But it's rewarding when you peel the layers. That's why it's proggy!

It does, more or less. Bozos ends with the sound of the sea and creaking masts. Not Insane actually opens with a weird introductory sound collage, but once that's over with, the Shakespeare parody begins with a shipboard scene.

Firesign's Eat or Be Eaten has an interesting looped structure. The album opens with the main character on the freeway. He honks and yells at another driver. At the end of the album, we hear the same incident, but this time from the perspective of the other driver--who is the same character.

Phil Miller "Cutting Both Ways" (1987) - begins and ends with the same theme, played almost exactly the same ("Green & Purple").
    Interestingly, the first Hatfield and the North (Miller's old band) was initially going to begin and end with the song "Calyx" making the album an "infinite loop". I don't know exactly how they were going to achieve that, but that's what was said at the time.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Jeff Berlin's own bizarre displacement/loop
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by izz_brian View Post
    Not an "album closer/album kicker," but of course a very obvious prog example is the end of Karn Evil, 1st Impression Part 1 ending the original A-side of the record, and then picking up again on the B-side for Part 2. Since they are actually titled Part 1 and Part 2, I suppose it's more a case of one long piece, broken into two halves. Still, the lyrics were obviously meant to acknowledge the split.
    In that vein, how about Grobschnitt - Rockpommels Land?
    At the end of side one you get: "Totall exhausted Ernie went off this severe place and followed a way leading to the mountains. Half an hour later he rested in the shade of a HOWARD JOHNSON's where he began to consider whether he should turn around the record or have another hot dog..."

But it goes further than that. The end of Six Degrees fades back in at the beginning of Train Of Thought, which ends with a (missing) piano note that begins Octavarium.
    Furthermore, Octavarium ends with that same missing note (an F# I think).