Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rock Candy Remasters

Banned

How about some NWOBHM?

Rock Candy is a cool label and I've been very pleased with any of the releases I've picked up from them. I'd dearly love it if they would get a hold of the Stone Fury and Starz catalogues.

The label was started by a couple of Kerrang! writers/editors from the golden era in the early '80s. These guys clearly love and respect the music from that time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    Rock Candy is a cool label and I've been very pleased with any of the releases I've picked up from them. I'd dearly love it if they would get a hold of the Stone Fury and Starz catalogues.

The label was started by a couple of Kerrang! writers/editors from the golden era in the early '80s. These guys clearly love and respect the music from that time.
    Wasn't Rock Candy started by Geoff Barton? Btw, I also love Rock Candy. Although, I only have the U.F.O remasters. Never got the U.F.O boxsets put out by Chrysalis(The Chrysalis Years), because I loved the Rock Candy presentation so much.

Banned
    Holy crap!! I just found out that Rock Candy remastered the first three Starcastle albums. I ordered the first one from Amazon for myself as a Christmas present(I got a gift card).

Rock Candy have reissued the first Blue Murder album.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Rock Candy have reissued the first Blue Murder album.
    That's great news!! I've been wanting to get that CD for a long time.

The first three Dokken albums to be reissued at the end of this month. Those are some 80's classic melodic rock albums that solely needed to be remastered.

Banned
    Inspired by this thread, I decided to track the three Starcastle remasters put out by Rock Candy. I found all three on Amazon, but only got Citadel(as it was the cheapest at $8.99). I know that people don't consider this Starcastle album as good as the first two, but I like it because it sounds the least like Yes.

I think I have only a handful of releases from this label- Hughes/Thrall and Dio's 'Holy Diver'. The latter aside which was mid-price, I seem to recall their releases being in the higher price bracket for reissues. Good booklets in these though. Looking at their releases, they largely cover AOR and hard rock- I'm glad someone puts all this stuff out for fans, but I only really have the obvious from that genre.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-10-2014 at 03:45 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Dio's 'Holy Diver'. The latter aside which was mid-price
    Are you sure about that? There is no Rock Candy version of Holy Diver for sale on Amazon, and Rock Candy does not list Holy Diver by Dio on there website.

Quite sure. 100% certain, in fact.

It's surprising how many albums are out of print or awaiting release on cd.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Banned
    Sorry to derail the thread, but has anyone ever ordered from I-Deals? I ordered the Rock Candy version of the first Angel CD and the Starcastle debut, and both orders were canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Are you sure about that? There is no Rock Candy version of Holy Diver for sale on Amazon, and Rock Candy does not list Holy Diver by Dio on there website.
    It was a joint release by Universal/Mercury Records and Rock Candy in 2005. It's good but I prefer the Deluxe Expanded Edition from Europe that came out in 2012. It has the best sound. Also includes a second disc of B sides and a live King Biscuit Flower Hour show from 1983.

The various versions and best prices are at www.importcds.com

Banned
    My copies of the debut Starcastle CD and Citadel arrived yesterday from Amazon. The sound on the debut is great. The sound on Citadel seems to be compressed, but I do enjoy the CD. Btw, I think there may be some errors in the liner notes. The liner notes for both CDs identify the St. James(one of the predecessors of Starcastle) as Mike Castleberry, while the Starcastle website identified him as Mike Castlehorn. Also, the liner notes state that he left the band(he actually died). Anyways, how do people rate the Starcastle remasters?
    Last edited by JIF; 01-17-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I much prefer Zzebra

some good Afro Prog to be found on those albums for sure!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    "The Big Prize" is a hard/melodic rock gem. I'm curious to hear about the remaster package. Please post a review when you get it!
    I kind of liked these guys back in the day, had a couple albums on vinyl. Ian Anderson did appear on their third album playing flute on a tull inspired track. The guitarist was pretty good if I recall. And he did either a Coke or Pepsi commercial showing off his chops. It sounds corny, but his playing ends up causing the bottle to burst open like a champaigne bottle -I remember liking the ad. Got to try and find it on Youtube.

I'm happy to hear Kerry Livgren's "Seeds of Change" is coming out, I have not heard that is ages. The Dio tracks are of course the main appeal, but I remember this being a fairly proggy effort, moreso than Audio Visions, which came out the same year.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I kind of liked these guys back in the day, had a couple albums on vinyl. Ian Anderson did appear on their third album playing flute on a tull inspired track. The guitarist was pretty good if I recall.
    The song with Ian Anderson is "All Along You Knew." Great song.
    Chad

Banned

Sorry for reposting this but, this will be my next CD purchase(in honor of the passing of Fergie).

Banned

In honor of Fergie, I was also going to purchase this CD, but Amazon doesn't seem to carry the Rock Candy version.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post

In honor of Fergie, I was also going to purchase this CD, but Amazon doesn't seem to carry the Rock Candy version.
    Nevrmind, I found it. Just had to dig a little deeper.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    "The Big Prize" is a hard/melodic rock gem. I'm curious to hear about the remaster package. Please post a review when you get it!
    I got this today from Amazon. I really enjoyed the audio and visual package. This is the only Rock Candy reissue that I'm aware of that has song-by-song liner notes. It was funny to read from those that the singer Johnnie Dee(who skips the mixing sessions) was dismayed to learn that he missed Ian Anderson laying down his flute for All Along You Knew(which was done during the mixing session in England). Apparently, Ian lived near the studio. This Cd was remastered by Andy Pearce. It sounds good(not "loud"). I would agree that the Rock Candy remasters done by John Astley are quite loud, but that doesn't bother me. Jon did remaster the New England Cd that I got today. Anyone heard of this band? The title of the Cd is Explorer Suite.
    Last edited by JIF; 01-29-2014 at 07:49 PM.

^^^^^^^
    Quite a bit of mellotron on that album as I recall, but I didn't play it much other than the title track.
    I did some recording at the drummer's studio back in the late '80s and he had some interesting stories
    about Mike Stone, Paul Stanley, Rundren, etc.