Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: NEW Vinyl thread

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I have a VPI vacuum cleaner. It's I think the "best value for money" solution for home use. I've seen Audio Desk at a demonstration and it is unbelievably effective, but the end price was prohibitive.

I personally would avoid the Spin Clean, as I'm watching it. Looks to me ultra difficult to dry and painful if you want to clear over 3 albums in a row...
    I went for the intermediate solution: The Disc Doctor V

I've been using it for about a year now, and it's certainly a vast improvement over cleaning solely by hand, as I was previously. I still do brush by hand with the other Disc Doctor (http://www.discdoc.com/) brushes and fluid, but the vacuum is the crucial part for really getting the fluid and all the crap you've knocked loose up. Not as easy or convenient as a VPI machine, but I didn't want to spend that much.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I have a VPI vacuum cleaner. It's I think the "best value for money" solution for home use. I've seen Audio Desk at a demonstration and it is unbelievably effective, but the end price was prohibitive.
    Once you go ultrasonic you can never go back.

I just wanted to pipe up here to put in a good word for the Spin Clean. It does a great job cleaning records at a reasonable price point. I usually do about ten records per session. From soup to nuts (including setup time, cleaning, drying, putting everything away) it takes about an hour.

One thing I like about the Spin Clean is you can see the gunk that comes off the record sitting in the bottom of the basin after you're done.

NP: Rush A Farewell to Kings

VPI HW-17--checked that out, yeah, it is pricey. It might be why some of those DIY guys make their own vacuum systems. Thanks for the heads up.

Audio Deske record cleaner from Germany--I'm afraid to look at the price.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Audio Deske record cleaner from Germany--I'm afraid to look at the price.
    around $4,000
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

After delaying for a couple of weeks I decided to get the new reissue of Jon Hassel and Brian Eno's "Fourth World Vol.1:Possible Musics" on LP. It has just been reissued on the German Glitterbeat label (which is an offshoot of the great GLitterhouse label) that focuses on world/ethnic music. I must say, not only is the packaging beautiful with a gatefold sleeve that includes interviews with both artists, but the pressing is superb! Very quiet, dynamic, absolutely wonderful. If you're a fan of this great release from 1980, I'd highly recommend this LP.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

I always enjoyed those Fourth World releases, and have the original pressing of the Vol. 1 Possible Musics. As you said, very nice music. Harold Budd's Lovely Thunder is nice too as is the album, The Pearl. Some of those early pressing of the EG editions were a bit hit and miss, but most were pressed well for such quiet music.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I always enjoyed those Fourth World releases, and have the original pressing of the Vol. 1 Possible Musics. As you said, very nice music. Harold Budd's Lovely Thunder is nice too as is the album, The Pearl. Some of those early pressing of the EG editions were a bit hit and miss, but most were pressed well for such quiet music.
    Love both of the last 2 you mentioned. The Pearl is incredible. I just played it in the store yesterday and sold 2 right away and it's from 1982(84?). Very hypnotic and SOOOOO dreamy.
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Supertramp's Crime Of The Century just arrived in our store Dec.24 th. Anybody heard the new vinyl issue?
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

What's the hold up with Waters' Amused to Death vinyl reissue? Endless River maybe?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    What's the hold up with Waters' Amused to Death vinyl reissue? Endless River maybe?
    Good question--I have a customer who pre-paid for 2 of these back in August!!. There's supposed to be an SACD as well
    from Analog Productions
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)