Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: NEW Vinyl thread

Some recent things that have impressed me on vinyl lately are the new reissues of Klaus Schulze on SPV(" X " and " Mirage ")
    as well as Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream, Roy Orbison's 2-LP reissue of Mystery Girl(what a great album!) and the reissue of Jethro Tull's "This Was".

An album that I'm really looking forward to in August is a reissue of the early 70's folk/folk-rock release of "Silent Passage" by Bob Carpenter, a reclusive musician who lived in British Columbia and who only released one album in his life but it's a beauty! Features Lowell George, Emmylou Harris and a few other notable guests. One of the best Canadian albums ever released and it's getting a CD/LP reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Thanks for the sample. Coincidentally I got the Laurence Vanay reissue of Galaxies in for stock about a month ago and was wondering about it. Is this track taken from Galaxies?(there are no tracks listed on my vinyl)
    It's from "Evening Colours" (Gateway)
    Strange,my copy of "Galaxies" has track list.All french titles.

Laurence Vanay - Alone in the rain (Evening Colours)
    Last edited by Modry Effekt; 07-17-2014 at 03:19 AM.

An album that I'm really looking forward to in August is a reissue of the early 70's folk/folk-rock release of "Silent Passage" by Bob Carpenter, a reclusive musician who lived in British Columbia and who only released one album in his life but it's a beauty! Features Lowell George, Emmylou Harris and a few other notable guests. One of the best Canadian albums ever released and it's getting a CD/LP reissue.
    I haven't heard of Bob Carpenter.Listening clips from "Silent Passage".I'll definitely look forward as well.Thanks.What label it would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    I haven't heard of Bob Carpenter.Listening clips from "Silent Passage".I'll definitely look forward as well.Thanks.What label it would be?

The reissue is on a label called "No Quarter".

Singer and songwriter Bob Carpenter seemed destined for success when he was recording his debut album “Silent Passage” for Warner Brothers in 1974, until a contract dispute shelved the LP and short-circuited Carpenter’s budding career. The album became a lost gem of its era before it finally saw release a decade later on a small Canadian label. By that point, Carpenter had more or less given up on the music business. He died in 1995 of brain cancer.

With a reissue due of “Silent Passage” due this summer, Speakeasy today premieres the title track. The song showcases the Canada-born singer’s lived-in voice with an understated arrangement that includes backing vocals from Emmylou Harris. Carpenter recorded “Silent Passage” with producer Brian Ahern, who also lined up contributions from Anne Murray, Little Feat members Lowell George and Bill Payne, and session pros Russ Kunkel on drums and Leland Sklar on bass.

“I threw Bob into the deep end of the pool knowing his great voice and aggressive, hypnotic acoustic guitar style would infect them with equally powerful performances,” Ahern writes in the liner notes of the reissue.

The 1984 release of “Silent Passage” landed Carpenter on the bills of several folk festivals, but the singer’s growing interest in Buddhism became the focal point of his life. He had moved to L.A. in early 1995 to become a Buddhist monk when he fell ill. After he was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer, he returned to Canada, where he died later that year.

“Bob Carpenter’s affable simplicity belied his deep, poetic soul,” Ahern writes.

Last edited by Modry Effekt; 07-18-2014 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Svart records just keeps releasing great stuff.
    Couldn't agree more. I've been consistently impressed with these reissues. The packaging is gorgeous and the sound quality fantastic.

Is this track taken from Galaxies?(there are no tracks listed on my vinyl)
    No, it is from "Evening Colours" which is a better album in my opinion.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    No, it is from "Evening Colours" which is a better album in my opinion.
    Both are pretty amazing, and some of my favorite recent discoveries, but I agree completely.

I only have bought one new release of vinyl and that was the allman brothers band at Fillmore east. It was $25 and sucks ass badly. The sound quality is awful and the vinyl quality is even worse. Felt like taking it back to the store and demanding my money back. I just stick to used old vinyl and keep my fingers crossed that it is I good shape. I've bought a few in excellent shape and a few that looked pristine but weren't. The only new vinyl I was seriously considering was robin trowers bridge of sighs rerelease.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I've been consistently impressed with these reissues. The packaging is gorgeous and the sound quality fantastic.
    The spine of Wigwam "Fairyport" and "Being" album reissue is 15mm wide,to start from

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Bought my first new vinyl release in decades yesterday, Wakeman's re-recorded "Journey to the Centre of the Earth". Beautiful double vinyl release with Roger Dean gatefold sleeve and large booklet. Listened last night and while I did not particularly relish having to get up 4 times to flip the records, I am back in the world of new vinyl adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Bought my first new vinyl release in decades yesterday, Wakeman's re-recorded "Journey to the Centre of the Earth". Beautiful double vinyl release with Roger Dean gatefold sleeve and large booklet. Listened last night and while I did not particularly relish having to get up 4 times to flip the records, I am back in the world of new vinyl adventures!
    Just got these in for stock last week, they DO look great. Also got the Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford,Howe Evening of Yes Music Vol1 & 2 as well.

Just recently got the 2nd Genesis box on LP containing Trick, Wind, And Then, Duke and Abacab. Great pressings and all original artwork, sleeves etc including the nice textured paper outer sleeves for Trick and Wind. All the Genesis albums from 1970 through 1982 are back in stock too. Also finally got in a copy of Marillion's Afraid of Sunlight from Europe but to my ears, there's something odd about the way this was mixed to vinyl. Anyone else have this and care to comment?

I am back in the land of vinyl after shelving my collection for the past two decades. My recently turned 18 year old daughter has led the way, and is quite impressed with the amount I had in storage!

So far I became mesmerised by the pristine 180g releases of Tales From Topographic Oceans and Close To The Edge, both of which I already had on rather worn copies from their original days, in fact my CTTE is framed and signed on my wall, so not playable. I just had to buy them both. There are so many others that I see that I would like to buy, but it seems a little odd to be going the other way, and buying vinyls for those that I only have on CD! I will let this thread help guide me.

A weird observation if anyone would like to comment: Back in my teens, I remember that one of the best pressings I ever owned was the Decca pressing of Camel's "A Live Record" made in Holland. Incredibly clean, flat pressing. One of the labels pressing new vinyl is "Music On Vinyl" in Holland who consistently have the cleanest, flattest pressings I've seen/listened to. I was playing their reissue of Alan Parsons "I Robot" in the store and a customer couldn't believe the quality of the vinyl. No noise, beautifully flat etc etc. Last week I picked up an import pressing from Holland of Vangelis' Themes" compilation, particularly because of the great tracks from The Bounty film that are exclusive to this compilation. It was a used album for $6 and it is again AMAZING quality.

So, what gives with Dutch pressings? What do they do that some others just can't seem to get right on a consistent basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I am back in the land of vinyl after shelving my collection for the past two decades. My recently turned 18 year old daughter has led the way, and is quite impressed with the amount I had in storage!

So far I became mesmerised by the pristine 180g releases of Tales From Topographic Oceans and Close To The Edge, both of which I already had on rather worn copies from their original days, in fact my CTTE is framed and signed on my wall, so not playable. I just had to buy them both. There are so many others that I see that I would like to buy, but it seems a little odd to be going the other way, and buying vinyls for those that I only have on CD! I will let this thread help guide me.
    So what are your thoughts on the 2 Yes LP's? Are they on Rhino or Friday Music?

So the Bob Carpenter albums(and CD's) came in this week and the vinyl is great! Really great pressing, nice and clean, very natural/warm. HIGHLY recommended.

Also discovered a pretty cool band that goes by the name of Tycho. 3 releases so far of ambient/electronica/chill-out. All instrumental except for the odd whispered voices/female vocal inflections. Really well produced stuff.

Also discovered a pretty cool band that goes by the name of Tycho. 3 releases so far of ambient/electronica/chill-out. All instrumental except for the odd whispered voices/female vocal inflections. Really well produced stuff.
    Scott Hansen (aka TYCHO) plays an interesting hybrid of accessible krauty ambient electronica. I mostly like Dive (I think it's his best) and his latest album Awake.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Scott Hansen (aka TYCHO) plays an interesting hybrid of accessible krauty ambient electronica. I mostly like Dive (I think it's his best) and his latest album Awake.
    Thanks. I don't have "Dive"(yet) but kind of like the other two so far.

Univers Zero: Relapse (released 2009), will now be available on vinyl from www.subrosa.net

Has anyone heard any of the Universal Back to Black reissues? They've done two Caravan and Egg albums so far: http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/viny...y_And_Pink.php

Has anyone heard any of the Universal Back to Black reissues? They've done two Caravan and Egg albums so far: http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/viny...y_And_Pink.php
    I've got a few and so far...very good pressings and sound quality etc. The latest one that I got was Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road(great!) and I may try the Caravan Grey and Pink although I'm quite happy with the reissue I have on KLIMT. One in this series that I'm really looking forward to is Aphrodite's Child "666". Used to have it on vinyl a LONG time ago.

I just got Magma 1001° Centigrades.Pretty excellent.
    magma-1001-centigrades-1971-180-grs.jpg
    Last edited by Modry Effekt; 09-02-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Lot og gimmickry.