Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: ABWH

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm a wuv you.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-16-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I don't get what you don't get...?

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
    The or-der of the u-ni-verse
    You're ly-ing to your-self a-gain

Henry
    gotta say I am not seeing it either. maybe if you take out again but still seems a bit of a stretch.

I don't get what you don't get...?

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
    The or-der of the u-ni-verse
    You're ly-ing to your-self a-gain

Henry
    But the fact that the meter is the same has nothing to do with the music. Both the melody and the chords are completely different. I'm wondering if you're confusing it with some other song. There's categorically nothing musically common between those two songs.

I can see where the melody is similar. Never heard the connection before, however.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    gotta say I am not seeing it either. maybe if you take out again but still seems a bit of a stretch.
    Take out "again"? Both lines are the exact same amount of syllables, taking out one word would make them uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Take out "again"? Both lines are the exact same amount of syllables, taking out one word would make them uneven.
    ill admit that doesn't really work for me either but it at least takes a similar amount of time to say it because lying to yourself is taken at a slower pace.

oddly enough I also imagined yourself and universe to rhyme too which of course they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I saw them in Hartford, CT and it was one of the better shows I've ever seen. For me, it was as close to seeing Yes in 1979 in the round as it ever got. I missed the Union tour, which I think was also pretty good, but ABWH was really special.

I agree the ABWH songs came off much better live than on the album. That said, I don't hate the album, and actually like parts of it a lot; and some parts I just skip. I understand the criticism of Order of the Universe, particularly that Rock Gives Courage part, which is pretty cringeworthy. What were they thinking? Other than that part, though, I think it's a pretty good song, and it came of really well live.

Bill
    When I saw this tour in Richmond Va. Order was played so loud you could feel the concrete vibrate under your feet. (Not sure if it was Levin's bass or Howe)..The band was incredible that night

I also saw ABWH in Hartford and they blew the roof off the place. The crowd was ecstatic and the band appeared to feed off of it.
    One of the best shows I've ever seen with multiple long standing ovations. Strangely, I saw them earlier in the week near Boston and it was kind of an underwhelming show.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I also saw ABWH in Hartford and they blew the roof off the place. The crowd was ecstatic and the band appeared to feed off of it.
    One of the best shows I've ever seen with multiple long standing ovations.
    Yeah, I remember those ovations. I don't think I've ever seen that many go on for so long at any other show. But it didn't bother me. It somehow seemed, natural. Great show, great memories.

Bill

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Yeah, I remember those ovations. I don't think I've ever seen that many go on for so long at any other show. But it didn't bother me. It somehow seemed, natural. Great show, great memories.

Bill
    X3 Can I join the party? I perfectly remember hearing Close to the Edge like I never thought was going to happen again at the show. The excitment was palpable. It was definitely a top 10 experience for me. At the time, I had a hard time believing what was happening.

Wonderful imagery and poetry, if you ask me. "Mountains come out of the sky and they stand there," is the best bit of the song.

Now, the rest of the song is a bit silly lyrically...

Henry
    True, but at least it's poetically silly.
    'Rock gives courage' is just banal (and silly).

'Rock Gives Courage' is very of its time and has arguably aged far, far worse than much of their (as in Yes!) 70s work. Even the title is cringeworthy. The rest of the track is OK, at least, the instrumental intro is particularly effective.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    X3 Can I join the party? I perfectly remember hearing Close to the Edge like I never thought was going to happen again at the show. The excitment was palpable. It was definitely a top 10 experience for me. At the time, I had a hard time believing what was happening.
    In that Yes/ELP Rock Family Trees documentary, I think it was a show in the Philadelphia Spectrum that Bruford mentioned getting a deafening ovation like he'd never heard, when they did 'And You And I'. The same song got that massive ovation in MSG, 2004.

They were definitely onto something in this period. The album is flawed but its heart was in the right place. It has more of the Yes DNA than anything on Talk, for me at least.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Prog Gives Obstinacy

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Rock Gives Courage' is very of its time and has arguably aged far, far worse than much of their (as in Yes!) 70s work. Even the title is cringeworthy. The rest of the track is OK, at least, the instrumental intro is particularly effective.
    Fair enough; I was just commenting on the words of the title rather than the whole song.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

In that Yes/ELP Rock Family Trees documentary, I think it was a show in the Philadelphia Spectrum that Bruford mentioned getting a deafening ovation like he'd never heard, when they did 'And You And I'. The same song got that massive ovation in MSG, 2004.

They were definitely onto something in this period. The album is flawed but its heart was in the right place. It has more of the Yes DNA than anything on Talk, for me at least.
    I guess you gotta see the connection with the macrobiotic community to get the title.. Steve talked extensively about his adopting he macro lifestyle in an article from Macrobiotic Today magazine around this time period. He even went on to say how he got Jon to agree to printing the "7 Principles of the Order of the Universe" in the programs for he ABWH tour. I never bought any merchandise from that particular tour so I cannot confirm.. Perhaps others did and could.. I kinda like the song myself.. https://phiyakushi.wordpress.com/201...ing-principle/

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    He even went on to say how he got Jon to agree to printing the "7 Principles of the Order of the Universe" in the programs for he ABWH tour. I never bought any merchandise from that particular tour so I cannot confirm.. Perhaps others did and could.. I kinda like the song myself.
    It's there, all right, on Steve's individual page.

IMG_3589.jpg
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Shoreline Amphitheater show (the one that was recorded) was only my third concert ever, and my first ever at an arena. When I saw the dry ice come out for the "I Get Up I Get Down" section, it made the whole experience a small piece of heaven for me.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Hi, guys!

New here. I've been doing stuff with Yes/ABWH demos. I see some of you have linked to my stuff in the past.

Happy to be posting.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithCBradbury View Post
    Hi, guys!

New here. I've been doing stuff with Yes/ABWH demos. I see some of you have linked to my stuff in the past.

Happy to be posting.
    Welcome to PE!
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KeithCBradbury View Post
    Hi, guys!

Happy to be posting.
    Welcome aboard!