Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keswick Theatre in PA - Parking and Restaurants?

Keswick Theatre in PA - Parking and Restaurants?

Heading to the Hackett show on Saturday, and I'm totally unfamiliar with the area. I go to Philadelphia twice a year to one of my doctors at the Univ. of Penn hospital, sadly the only place in Phily I'm familiar with and know how to get to. I'm not looking for directions, I should be able to figure that out. But how and where is the parking around the Keswick, and are their decent restaurants near by? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Plenty of street parking all around the venue (in the residential areas).

There is a small lot behind the Keswick, but you need to arrive really early for that one.

There is a nice bar with good bar food and drinks at the corner.

A couple of other restaurants (one is greek) right down the street.

...and now the bad news. We will be heading there Saturday as well. Wait.....that's not the bad news!

Follow the link below to see what the area holds for Saturday. An all day Fall Festival! Just enough to screw everything up!

Road Closures: Keswick Avenue will be closed between Easton Road and Abington Avenue.

We planned on getting in the area early for dinner before the show, but it might be a madhouse.
    Might take all that extra time trying to park somewhere.

(I really hate this place and the people running it, but choices were limited.)

Agreed with Dan above about the eateries. The Keswick Inn is good. Athena down Keswick Ave is awesome but a little pricey.

JG

"MARKLAR!"

The couple of times I've been there, I have been able to park out back

Athena had some excellent Greek food as I recall

Unfortuately, I'll be picking up my bride at BWI around 4:30, and driving up directly there so with a 2.5 hr drive I likely won't be there in time for dinner, or a space in the lot

So, plenty of parking on the streets around?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I went to the Greek restaurant with my brother once when we saw Jon Anderson at the Keswick in 04.

Yanks I guess you never went to Rosfest when it was held at the Keswick right? There is parking behind the bank. I'm not sure if it's the bank parking lot or the Keswick's. There is also some parking next to the church in their parking lot. I often would park along the street just up the street a little ways past the bank. Parking is not the greatest but I suppose it's better than some places. Anyway, I haven't been to the Keswick in a long time in part because I no longer live that close to it and also because now I live very close to the Sellersville theater and in fact am seeing District 97 w/ John Wetton there tonight.

There's a cool Chinese place down the road some called Jasmine that's pretty good, too. It's on Easton Rd., maybe a mile/mile and a half away.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There is a large church parking lot that you are allowed to park, that is directly behind the school and accessible on the main road. Very short walk to the venue from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    There is a large church parking lot that you are allowed to park, that is directly behind the school and accessible on the main road. Very short walk to the venue from there.
    Yes, and it's easy to exit there after the show.

First time going to the Keswick, as I didn't go to a Rosfest until it moved to Gettysburg. It's likely I'll get there by 5 pm, so hopefully that is early enough to find parking and food. Thanks for the suggestions, that should really help. Thankfully I'm not going alone, so at worst I may have my friend drop me off and park the van, as I'm limited where I can get out as I exit through the side on the scooter ramp. I'd say anything within a mile or so for food is within scooter distance for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    ...and now the bad news. We will be heading there Saturday as well. Wait.....that's not the bad news!

Follow the link below to see what the area holds for Saturday. An all day Fall Festival! Just enough to screw everything up!

Road Closures: Keswick Avenue will be closed between Easton Road and Abington Avenue.
    It seems the festival ends at 6, so maybe most of the crowds will be gone. I don't want rain, but if it does rain, the festival moves to Sunday, which would make Saturday a whole lot easier for the concert.

Looks like rain from tomorrow to next week in both Philly and B'more. So the whole weekend looks wet.

Not rain, nor sleet, nor aimlessly wandering A-holes will keep me from attending this show!

I'm shooting for 7pm, maybe the madness will be over.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

So looking forward to Saturday at the Keswick! Feels like I have had these tickets forever!

What Dan said about having the tickets forever.

I'm going Friday, I would love to have met up with yanks on saturday!

We should start a roll call of who will be there on Friday and who will be there Saturday.

I'll be there Saturday.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Me too for Saturday, of course! And though he's not on PE, some of you have met my friend Mark. Who else is going?

Best parking is at he Church right up the street. Just can't park there on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. I occasionally hit shows there but find the seats to be the most uncomfortable of all of the Philly area venues. Will be there is a few weeks for Cheech and Chong. Skipping Zappa Plays Zappa as I have UFO that same night.

Have a good time tonight, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We should start a roll call of who will be there on Friday and who will be there Saturday.

I'll be there Saturday.
    As will I and a buddy of mine.

Me and Lila along with Jim Rezek and Diane on Saturday.

Yeah, was it like 6 months ago the tickets went on sale?
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I think the government was still open when I bought those tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    What Dan said about having the tickets forever.

I'm going Friday, I would love to have met up with yanks on saturday!

Jeez, I could have met up with you at the D97 show. It seems like we have been to several shows and yet have not met up. I hope you don't think I'm some kind of a dick on here. LOL.

Next time I'll post the shirt I'll be wearing.

Keswick news: Transatlantic Saturday 2/8/14 as advertised on one of their signs (in the mens bathroom of all places).

Wow, I might have to get down there for that. JA is playing there around the same time though. We'll see.

Yeah, the shirt thing sounds like a plan.

Edit: I see the Jon Anderson show is going to be in April. I could have sworn it was initially scheduled for Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Keswick news: Transatlantic Saturday 2/8/14 as advertised on one of their signs (in the mens bathroom of all places).
    I saw the flyer for that. Now that I know how easy it is to get to the Keswick, I'll see some shows there. Definitely want to attend the TA show. I made it to the Keswick in just an hour, nice venue too.

BTW, thanks for the advice I got in this thread, I didn't panic when I saw the street fair, and I parked at the church down the block. Saw the pub, but the wait was too long so I hit a very good pizza shop around the corner, Trio Tomato Pies. We had a very good sausage, mushroom and garlic pie, which had nice big tomato chunks and a very thin crust.

The staff at the Keswick couldn't be nicer. They couldn't do enough for me, very accommodating for anyone disabled. And then they did something incredible since they don't really have wheelchair seating. They led me away from my seats (where I would have parked my scooter and stayed) half way down, and instead into the front row! Took me nearly to age 46, but I finally saw a concert from the front row, and it was as great as I imagined. It allowed me to take some great photos, I'll see if I can figure how to post them on PE. Seeing Hackett play from so close was nothing short of inspiring, his technique is amazing.

Scott, it was great talking to you before the show. I hope you had as good a time as I did. After the show I got to talk to and hang out a bit with Hackett's drummer, Gary O'Tool. My buddy Mark talks often to him on facebook, and Gary made sure to seek us out after the show. He's a real good guy, and a talented drummer. Great night of music, I hope to write an actual review, though I wont get a chance until Monday. Hope I don't forgot too many things by then.