Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone :) new Canterbury prog group releases album

Ordered. Sounds great, looking forward to getting it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Ordered. Sounds great, looking forward to getting it.

Bill
    Thank you Bill! Glad you are digging it! Will be sent out first thing tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Hi again Aaron:

I just noticed that your Ampledeed album will be one of the featured albums Monday night on Aural Moon's "New Moon on Monday" show. Normal is about 20 minutes from each album. The show starts at 9PM eastern or 6PM pacific. If you have a chance to listen or join the crowd in chat, that would be great!

http://auralmoon.com/

http://auralmoon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6133
    Thank you Emperorken! Yes I am looking forward very much to the show tomorrow. I am definitely planning on chatting in the Aural Moon forums, and am awaiting registration approval from their administrator.

Hi Friends of PE! Ampledeed will be specially featured on Aural Moon (http://auralmoon.com/), tonight at 6pm Pacific time (9pm Eastern) on New Moon on Monday. The show begins at 6pm pacific time and goes until 8pm. As far as we know, Ampledeed will likely have a 20 minute slot at the beginning of the second hour. Tune in and enjoy!
    Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Thanks very much to anyone who tuned in to Aural Moon's New Moon on Monday last night! It is so great to be featured and to chat with fellow prog-heads! For anyone who missed it, I believe it plays again tomorrow at 10am Pacific time and Friday at 2am Pacific time (if you're into that) http://auralmoon.com/
    peace friends!

I had a pretty shitty day at work, so I was really happy to see this CD in my mailbox when I got home. My wife and I listened to it over dinner, where I have to confess I bitched quite a bit about work. But about 20 or so minutes in, my wife says, "this is a pretty damn good album!" Savant that I am, I can bitch about work and listen to music at the same time, and I was pretty much thinking the same thing.

Yeah, first listen and all that, but this is a super CD that I really look forward to digging into. While pretty easy on the ears, there is a ton going on here, and I was frequently reminded of both 70s and modern greats (Gentle Giant, Nerve Institute, Rebel Wheel) who have musical sophistication, but are approachable and have an "organic" sound to their music. It's amazing that an album this good (imo) can just come out of the blue like this, but for my money this is exactly what I look for in modern Prog Rock. It is both "Prog" and progressive. It doesn't really sound like anyone else, but it is familiar and instantly recognizable as "Prog." Plenty of chops, but in the service of some really nice compositions.

Super job guys. I'm actually a bit jealous you've done something this good. I really recommend checking out this CD to fans of Canterbury and more musically sophisticated Prog!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Super job guys. I'm actually a bit jealous you've done something this good. I really recommend checking out this CD to fans of Canterbury and more musically sophisticated Prog!

Bill
    Bill-
    I can not thank you (and your wife!) enough for your kind words, high praises and recommendations! As a composer, all I have ever strived to do is create music that people can connect with (and that is fun to play of course!); the idea that certain music can take a bad day and make it even 2% better has always been so amazing and significant to me.
    I have actually never heard Nerve Institute or Rebel Wheel, I will need to check them out! Gentle Giant, however Max, Luis and I are all very heavily into. We've talked many times about covering a GG song one day (Proclamation would be way fun....but so would something more obscure)
    Hope you keep listening, and I hope you have a much more excellent day today!
    -Aaron

I just saw that Ampledeed's album is up at the very top of Laser's Edge prog distributors homepage www.lasercd.com, listed as a recommended feature! I like this a lot :] Thank you LasersEdge for the distribution and for featuring our new release!

OK, the old man read this entire thread and decided to order this based on the comments and who made them, without hearing a note. Once in a while I get that urge.

I have very little doubt that this is much of a gamble in this case.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Wayside has it too. Getting it. Next order. Soon. Looking forward. Can't wait. Have to wait.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    OK, the old man read this entire thread and decided to order this based on the comments and who made them, without hearing a note. Once in a while I get that urge.

I have very little doubt that this is much of a gamble in this case.
    Progeezer, thank you for your strong faith :] Hope this gamble pays off for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wayside has it too. Getting it. Next order. Soon. Looking forward. Can't wait. Have to wait.
    I didn't even realize about Ampledeed being on Wayside! Thank you for saying this, Scrotum! The little blurb they wrote about us is nice:

"This is a progressive rock/progressive fusion band with definitely Canterbury elements. Mostly performed on dual keyboards, guitar, bass, drums and vocals, the sound is somewhere between wonderous complexity but song-oriented approach of vintage Caravan with a more Phil Miller-styled guitarist and Sanguine Hum. A really good debut. " - Wayside

Happy Saturday everyone!

Here's an Ampledeed Youtube adventure for you. (silly video I made myself )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDQ0w0Wg5WE

Quote Originally Posted by aarongoldich View Post
    Progeezer, thank you for your strong faith :] Hope this gamble pays off for you!!

Just had my first full listen, Aaron, and 2 things jumped out at me. The first is that this music is not what I expected. The second is that the music is f'ng phenomenal, not just good!

You guys should be very proud!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Jefferson James
    Big fan of The Source (that gig we did at UBG a couple years ago was fantastic) and very much looking forward to hearing this, Aaron.

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Just had my first full listen, Aaron, and 2 things jumped out at me. The first is that this music is not what I expected. The second is that the music is f'ng phenomenal, not just good!

You guys should be very proud!
    Agreed. I've had a few listens to this so far, and it's fantastic!

Thank you so much, friends

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Big fan of The Source (that gig we did at UBG a couple years ago was fantastic) and very much looking forward to hearing this, Aaron.
    Playing with you was an honor and a privilege Kerry! I hope to share the stage again at some point!

Just listened to this the first time. The entire album flows very well. No need to look for the skip button. The personal post it note on the CD made me enjoy even more. Good stuff. Found it here on PE.

Quote Originally Posted by gibberish View Post
    Just listened to this the first time. The entire album flows very well. No need to look for the skip button. The personal post it note on the CD made me enjoy even more. Good stuff. Found it here on PE.
    thanks gibberish!

Nice review of A is for Ampledeed. Thanks Jon Davis of Expose!

http://expose.org/index.php/articles...or-ampledeed-2
    Last edited by aarongoldich; 11-15-2013 at 08:07 PM.

hey friends! A is for Ampledeed is now available through Cosmos Music (French progressive distributor and reviewer) in a special promo offer for November and December. The album is one of only three currently being specially featured!
    http://cosmosmusic.fr/

Thanks to Olivier of Cosmos Music for the great review (translation from French):
    Nobody knows if The Source is still active, but its leader, Aaron Goldich (vocals and keyboards), came up with two musician friends (Max Taylor and Luis Flores) this new formation which, if takes up the side of the seventies Californian group, delivers a more ambitious and complex progressive. Between avant-prog, Canterbury jazz-rock melodic and symphonic, A Is for Ampledeed (and 14 pieces chained) evokes in turn NHS, Echolyn or King Crimson or Gentle Giant, especially for the (few) vocals. Ampledeed uses his undeniable to make intelligible his music melodic sense, which will no doubt many fall under its spell. Excellent.

I've given this album a few listens, and I hear vocals on it that sound a lot like John Lennon. It makes me wonder if some of these songs would resemble what John would have done along the way if he were still with us. I really like this A is for Ampledeed. It remains on the top of the stack.

I've spun this about four times now. It's definitely wearing well. I look forward to hearing it when it comes up in my currently fairly heavy rotation of new music. It will be among my favorites of the year.

I didn't make a John Lennon connection with the vocals, but I'll keep that in mind the next time I spin it.

Bill

I really liked the Source CD. I also like the sound of Ampledeed. And you can't beat the quick personal delivery for a local shipment. ;-) Thanks Aaron. (fellow CSUN alum)