Thread: Karnivool-Asymmetry

Karnivool-Asymmetry

Karnivool-Asymmetry. What a body of work... took me 15+ spins to get my head around it. No New Day anthems... First half of it including Aeons leaves you totally spent with all those weird rythms, time sig shifts, confronting themes, off kilt etc you name it. momentum is lost on Eidolon and Sky Machine. Than it picks up again with Float and dramatic grand finale of Omega. That is seriously big. Judd is kicking his drums as tho he is kicking these skins for the last time. Stockman tearing this bass guitar to pcs while Drew/Mark guitar tones are... for the lack of better terminology - ferocious. Kenny can sing. Yes he sure can. I had pleasure of watching all of that live in Melbs. Asymmetry is change of direction... next one is coming in 730 days. Right?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Downloaded Asymmetry from Amazon Prime and am giving it a listen. The band was recommended by Steve Hogarth's daughter in an interview in The Web UK. Since Marillion's her favorite band I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure if it's my cuppa, but we'll see.

Suspended
    Don't expect Karnivool to sound anything like Marillion. Tool is a band to which Karnivool are often compared.

I think they're quite good, but I don't hear any overt intricacy at all.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Don't expect Karnivool to sound anything like Marillion. Tool is a band to which Karnivool are often compared.
    Yeah, I was a little disappointed from what I heard - she said she recommended it for the prog fans. It seems decent but I'm just not that into it.

production/mix was better than Sound Awake, but I honestly never got too attached to this record. I suppose part of it was when it came out, I was limiting how much music I was listening to due to a new job.

Themata still remains their best work for me.