Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Oak Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Yes, the pot is calling the kettle black.
    Don't be so hard on yourself. To me, you look like a young Dean Martin. Might wanna quit the ciggies, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    It's pretty obvious that David Lee Roth copied his look, dress and stage persona.
    Mangrum is one of various influences on Roth's stage presentation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    It's pretty obvious that David Lee Roth copied his look, dress and stage persona.
    And now we know what DLR's gonna look like in 5 years.

Never was a huge fan of the band, but I recall seeing them back in their early days. Their first LP was released in 1971, however the band recorded an Lp for STAX records in 1969 under the name "Knowbody Else", I have a sealed copy that I bought back in the late 70's, I have been sitting on hoping to sell for a tidy sum..

LINK: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/black...3849/biography

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Never was a huge fan of the band, but I recall seeing them back in their early days. Their first LP was released in 1971, however the band recorded an Lp for STAX records in 1969 under the name "Knowbody Else", I have a sealed copy that I bought back in the late 70's, I have been sitting on hoping to sell for a tidy sum..

LINK: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/black...3849/biography
    Not sure if you're familiar with PopSike, but you can see what it's been going for.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksear...y+Else&x=0&y=0

I always thought Jim Dandy sounded like Froggy from the Little Rascals all grown up. Yeesh, talk about an acquired taste!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:nothing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I always thought Jim Dandy sounded like Froggy from the Little Rascals all grown up. Yeesh, talk about an acquired taste!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:nothing
    His voice isn't bad all at. He's no Lee Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    One of the weirdest concert line-ups I've seen was Black Oak (ending with Jim Dandy) opening for Pink Floyd (who played Atom Heart Mother). I mean, what the fuck?
    That is definitely bizarre. sounds like a show I'd really dig.

Never liked these guys but they were my first introduction to the wonderful Shawn Lane who was actually 14yo when he joined them in 1977.

Bought the new release today, but haven't listened to it yet. Anyone else?

Going to see the band in a few weeks at a little BBQ joint in Middletown, NY. Not the biggest fan, but I do like them and am going more for the curiosity of it than anything else. Will probably buy a copy of the CD at the show and have the band autograph it.

What's the best album? I'm not into greatest hits and some of the hits seem too cartoony. I had a record with a cover that folded from the middle, out. Which one is that? Are there any lp's that are seriously good?

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    What's the best album? I'm not into greatest hits and some of the hits seem too cartoony. I had a record with a cover that folded from the middle, out. Which one is that? Are there any lp's that are seriously good?
    You may be referring to the "If an Angel Came to See You" album that folded out and the record came out through the middle of the cover. That actually is my favorite of their studio albums. I like all the songs on it as apposed to the rest of their catalogue which had clunkers. The next one would be "High on the Hog" which had some great tracks, but I could never stand the Jim Dandy cover that they did. Moonshine Sonata is not only a great title for a song, but also a great instrumental on the Hog Album. Then there's the live album which as mentioned before has been released as a 2 cd set by Rhino. The live album captured them at probably their peak as a live band.

I like the first 5 a lot. some great stuff in there, imo.

Good god, hes looking like something out of a Rob Zombie movie! I remember reading a review when I was a kid that described his voice as sounding like a bull with a hernia in heat. I can't remember what classes i took but I remember that! Tommy Aldridge was his drummer, and a lot of bands afterwards, remember seeing him on In Concert or something doing a drum solo with his bare hands, no sticks. Always liked his work.
    And as mentioned above, Shawn Lane is truly missed

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    the personification of cockrock
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    And it ain't even how he looks from the neck up as much as from the shoulders down. YIKES! That dude needs a reality show.

PS- Have you noticed that his teeth haven't changed a bit since 1972?
    at least he isn't still trying to wear those leotards
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    at least he isn't still trying to wear those leotards
    Oh my friend, if you dare, do some research! Not far from it! On SECond thought, as your attorney, I advise against it. Strongly advise against it.