Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thank You Scientist announced for ROSfest 2014

Banned
    This 20th Anniversary ROSfest is going to kick total ass.

Isn't that 10th rather than 20th?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    This 20th Anniversary ROSfest is going to kick total ass.
    ProgDay is 20, ROSfest 10.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Ok, duh. Progday began in year 1995, so 2014 is the 20th Progday. Rosfest began in 2004, so 2013 is the 10th ROSfest. So does anniversary mean years since the first one?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    George and Buster and I were all head-banging to them at ProgDay.

Which is really saying something GOOD, I think.

Congratulations to all parties!
    Buster was at Progday? I thought he retired.

Looks like Friday night is a must. The rest is not hitting me.

Hey the 20th will probably kick ass too.
    <sig out of order>

OK, I wasn't excited about the Thank You Scientist announcement at all, until yesterday. Saw them play at the NJ Proghouse Sunday and was shocked how much I enjoyed them. Such a strange mix of divergent styles, but they make it work. These guys have some serious chops, but it's the arrangements that make it so interesting. Somehow, in a very dense sound, they manage to give enough space for a brass section. Nice to see a young band making music this adventurous. Looking forward to seeing them again in May, I think they will make a lot of new fans at Rosfest.

Yes, they were very impressive at the NJ Proghouse Homecoming. I bought their CD and it is fantastic so far.
    <sig out of order>

I was not all familiar with them until now.

Listened to a sample on Prog Archives and they sound like an Americanized version of A.C.T. from Sweden, whom I love.

I went to the first 5 RosFests, and due to a career change, have not been back. I expect to be there this year.

I was at the Nearfest show with SleepyTime Gorilla and I have to say, count me in on the side of this is not enjoyable. I just did not enjoy their sound, presentation, lyrics, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Vocals certainly remind me of Mars Volta
    The Vocals are terrible, IMO. The band is tight and diverse, well worth a listen. But the vocals ruin it for me. Same tone throughout, nothing different. It seems as though many of the newer bands have this same type of singing. Just drags on and on and on. But these guys are musically good. Just my thoughts, I am sure I will take a beating for this, Oh well.....

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    The Vocals are terrible, IMO. The band is tight and diverse, well worth a listen. But the vocals ruin it for me. Same tone throughout, nothing different. It seems as though many of the newer bands have this same type of singing. Just drags on and on and on. But these guys are musically good. Just my thoughts, I am sure I will take a beating for this, Oh well.....
    Some of that has to do with the basic, underlying songs/melodies being pretty much like a lot of popular music we've all heard many times before. It's how they throw in lots of instrumental prowess and diversions that keep it interesting, IMO. It's almost like crossing a prog-metal band with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
    <sig out of order>

^^^^ Very good point, I agree that it is the music not the vocals that make this band. With that said I cannot listen to it because the vocals distract me from the music so much that I basically tune it out and eventually turn it off. I am surprised that nobody else has commented on this.?

Saw them on Sunday, and I LIKED the vocals. Seriously, I don't understand how his voice can ruin the music for anyone. It's not like he has an off-beat kind of "acquired taste" of a voice. I don't get it, I would never think his singing would be a sticking point. I would think the odd mix of styles would turn more off to them. It all worked for me however.

I recently got Maps of Nonexistant Places, and like it a lot. The vocals sound fine to me, and I like the mix of instruments, and the chaotic energy, and different styles contained within.

Minor gripes? Well, although they incorporate different styles, the arrangements, and course the songs take is a bit similar...almost always high energy, wall of instruments, many twists and turns, coming at you. And occasionally they come up with an amazing riff, only to drop it too quickly to get on to the next thing.

Overall for me, a very good disc and a band with loads of potential. I hope they stay together and that I get to see them live sometime.

neil

Banned
    Why is it a surprise that a Progger would not like vocals. Gee how do proggers put up with Geddy Lee? If it wasn't for the great lyrics the consensus would be that Geddy or for that matter Gabriel with Genesis live sucks.

The vocals do have a modern pop quality to them, but I don't really see that as an issue. The melodies are quite good, so I'm perfectly fine with them!

Banned
    I enjoyed music so much at Progday that I had forgot what the vocals were like. So I listened to this YouTube track and don't understand the dislike. There are a lot of pop vocals today that are very boring and these guy are vocally more 90s than now.

I saw them at Progday & again last weekend at NJP Homecoming...loved em both times! The vocals are fine with me, although I do have a wee problem with his presentation. He gives the impression that he's going to grab his crotch like Justin Beeber!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

My wife didn't like the vocals at first. Then we saw the show at the NJ Proghouse and now when I play "Maps..." for her she has no problem with them.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    ^^^^ Very good point, I agree that it is the music not the vocals that make this band. With that said I cannot listen to it because the vocals distract me from the music so much that I basically tune it out and eventually turn it off. I am surprised that nobody else has commented on this.?
    I have the opposite opinion. After seeing them live at ProgDay I thought the vocalist was a great fronting the band. Granted he may not have the best singing voice on the planet, but I think he is a great fit for this particular band and his stage presence just added to the overall presentation. In the many years I have been into prog I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of great instrumental artists out there, but a top notch front man is much more rare. For me this band is the perfect combination of both. Just one man’s opinion of course.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Why is it a surprise that a Progger would not like vocals. Gee how do proggers put up with Geddy Lee? If it wasn't for the great lyrics the consensus would be that Geddy or for that matter Gabriel with Genesis live sucks.
    I get it, vocals are a matter of personal taste. But in this case, I can't imagine what was so objectionable about this guy's singing. I totally get it with Geddy Lee, I understand why his voice turns people off. It's an acquired taste, and somehow I've always liked his singing. I wouldn't lump the TYS guy in with the "acquired taste" crowd of singers. He seemed pretty solid, and a good front man too. I'm curious what I'd think when hearing a CD of theirs, which I've yet to pick up. I do plan on it.

I listened to their album "The Perils of Time Travel" today. Just as good as the album which follows.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I listened to their album "The Perils of Time Travel" today. Just as good as the album which follows.
    Agreed, I picked it up at ProgDay and enjoy it a lot.

Steve Sly