Thread: Bob Dylan: Another Self Portrait

Bob Dylan: Another Self Portrait

Wondered if anyone picked this up, and what do you think of it. I bought the original album way back when, and at the time, I didn't care for it as much as some of his other albums, but over time, I've grown to enjoy it. It's a little different in that it's more diverse? perhaps, but that may be part of the draw.

Have picked up the deluxe edition for my wife, a much bigger Dylan fan than I. That said, I am intrigued to hear it, as all the press has been that this is really how it should have sounded. PLus the live show looks great.

Speaking of live shows, I have to put in my vote for The Band's Live at the Academy of Music 1971 (The Rock of Ages Concerts). Along with Little Feat's (expanded) Waiting for Columbus, Rock of Ages has long been one of my favorite live rock recordings ever. This four-CD, 1-DVD box gives you two discs of what Robertson feels were the best versions of each song performed across the four nights; the other two discs are the complete December 31, 1971 show, including the four songs Dylan sang with them at the end of the concert. There's some overlap - the Dylan performances show up twice - but that doesn't stop this from being the archival live rock recording of the year, as far as I'm concerned. The sound is both more roomy - you feel like you're in a concert; Robertson has always said he didn't like the original mix - and more clear, making it possible to hear every detail the ahead-of-his-time Garth Hudson contributed. It's also, for me, a particularly strong endorsement of Richard Manuel, whose voice was, imo, at its best on these recordings. "King Harvest Will Surely Come," in particular, being a moving version.

Anyway, since we're talking overlap here, I had to mention it. I'll let you know what I think of the Dylan when it's in our hands, but for now, Live at the Academy of Music 1971 comes recommended without hesitation. Hard to believe, but Rock of Ages has now been trumped.

81t3SShHp7L._SL500_.jpg

I've always enjoyed The Band as well, and that sounds like prime era. For whatever reason I never bought Rock of Ages. I guess it slipped by my radar. I have Last Waltz, several single albums by them, but never heard that one. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Wondered if anyone picked this up, and what do you think of it. I bought the original album way back when, and at the time, I didn't care for it as much as some of his other albums, but over time, I've grown to enjoy it. It's a little different in that it's more diverse? perhaps, but that may be part of the draw.
    Dylan's said on at least one occasion that Self-Portrait was a deliberate move to put an end to his "Voice Of A Generation" status. So I think the idea at the time was that he was intentionally making a record people wouldn't like, or at least not the people who had spent the last 7 years calling him a genius.

I think they copped out by not including the infamous Rolling Stone "What is this shit?" review in the book, even though it is alluded to. There's also an appalling editing error in the remastered album itself, where they removed an apparent glitch in "Copper Kettle" by simply cutting out half a beat of music.

The Isle of Wight concert is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I think they copped out by not including the infamous Rolling Stone "What is this shit?" review in the book, even though it is alluded to. There's also an appalling editing error in the remastered album itself, where they removed an apparent glitch in "Copper Kettle" by simply cutting out half a beat of music.
    But it does have new liner notes written by Greil Marcus, who was apparently the author of the "What is this shit?" review. Wikipedia describes the liner notes as "revisionist". I take Greil has reconsidered his opinion of the album, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wikipedia describes the liner notes as "revisionist". I take Greil has reconsidered his opinion of the album, eh?
    Yes, but it's easy to be kinder to this album in 2013 than it was in 1970.

It's solid. An improvement over the original album. Still, it's not Dylan's greatest work. Of course, there are tracks from other albums here as well. "Working on a Guru" is excellent. Great guitar from George Harrison. The live version of Highway 61 is hot too. Copper Kettle, Days of '49, When I Paint My Masterpiece are all nice as well. The packaging is very good for the LP set but I like the actual box over the slipcase style. Still, that's picking nits. It's not my favorite of the BL Series, that belongs to # 8, still, any serious Dylan fan must own this.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yes, but it's easy to be kinder to this album in 2013 than it was in 1970.
    Reminds me of when I saw a anniversary special that Siskel And Ebert did back in the late 80's. They were asked if they've ever wished they took back one of their reviews. I can't remember which one it was, but one of them said he wished he hadn't referred to the Simon & Garfunkel songs in The Graduate as "forgettable".

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    It's not my favorite of the BL Series, that belongs to # 8 ...

Bill
    Interesting. I haven't heard it yet. Why does it top your list?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I've always enjoyed The Band as well, and that sounds like prime era. For whatever reason I never bought Rock of Ages. I guess it slipped by my radar. I have Last Waltz, several single albums by them, but never heard that one. Thanks.
    Rock of Ages was always, to me, a far better record than Last Waltz (good as it was). Last Waltz was a group getting ready to wind down; Rock of Ages and now, Live at the Academy of Music 1971 is a group at the absolute top of its game. If you like The Band, this box is absolutely essential.

I was going to buy the Deluxe Edition package until I saw someone do a show & tell on YT. I'm going to dl the music from Amazon, but I don't need the books or poster. I have a copy of the orig record. While I've never heard it all the way through, I find it really entertaining to hear him do other people's material. he even duets w/himself on, I think, The Boxer. I think that's the closest I'm gonna get to a Dylan & Waits duet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    "Working on a Guru" is excellent.
    I think Dylan must have left that unreleased at the time because it sounds too much like a Bob Dylan song.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Dylan's said on at least one occasion that Self-Portrait was a deliberate move to put an end to his "Voice Of A Generation" status. So I think the idea at the time was that he was intentionally making a record people wouldn't like, or at least not the people who had spent the last 7 years calling him a genius.
    I've read that at times and I'm not sure I believe it (Bob's never been the most accurate interviewee!) Self-Portrait's deeply flawed, but it never sounds half-hearted to my ears. He may well have been aware that it would be unpopular, but I simply don't believe he set out with that as his intention.

The other aspect of this excellent box set is that it also includes stuff from New Morning. This is one of my favourite Dylan albums (and 'Went to See the Gypsy' one of my favourite songs by him). Good to hear a different take on that modest gem of an album.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    (Bob's never been the most accurate interviewee!) .

well there is always the infamous George Negus interview

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Gee George. Next you'll be saying Gypsy Fire was delusional!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

John, Gypsy Fire was just misunderstood
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

the interview is blocked here (USA)

Bob Dylan does whatever he wants to do, despite the reception of it.

That's what I like about him.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Bob Dylan does whatever he wants to do, despite the reception of it.

That's what I like about him.
    That's absolutely part of his appeal to me

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Interesting. I haven't heard it yet. Why does it top your list?
    For one, the quality of the outtakes and unreleased material is, imho, some of the finest work of the last 25 years. These are all from sessions from Oh Mercy onward. But read this review by Mikhail Gilmore in Rolling Stone. I think he says it better than I can:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...vol-8-20081016

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.