Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shortest time to a reunion or return to a band

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    How about Pink Floyd? Rick Wright was fired by the band right after the Wall was finished. Then they go and hire him again for the live shows! After Waters left in 83, it was only 2 years before Gilmour and Mason began recording, and of course last minute hired Wringt, again.
    Not to be nitpicky, but Wright was "hired," but as a side musician, not as an official member of the band. He wasn't officially back in until after Waters left.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Hot Streets sold pretty well, there were a couple of big hits on it (Alive Again and No Tell Lover). Ironically it was the next album that sold badly, despite what may be their best cover ever (the logo on the hi-rise building.
    Great cover but the music was a train wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not to be nitpicky, but Wright was "hired," but as a side musician, not as an official member of the band. He wasn't officially back in until after Waters left.
    More nitpicking. Wright was fired towards the end of making The Wall album. He was hired as a side musician for The Wall shows. He was gone after the shows and wasn't on The Final Cut. He came very late in the recording of AMLOR and again not a as PF member but as a sideman. There was also contract language prohibiting his return to PF as a full timer. Wright started the tour still as a sideman. He was a full fledged PF member for the The Division Bell. I don't know when he came back onboard, during one of the legs of the AMLOR tour or during the recording of TDB.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Paul Cook of IQ was mentioned, so I'm surprised no one mentioned Peter Nicholls, though I'm not sure how many years Nicholls was away.

I always thought it was funny how often ads for albums or stickers on the albums would say something like "The Amazing Comeback Album..." or "The reunion fans were waiting for..." when it didn't even seem like there was any really noticeable breakup or hiatus. I can't think of any examples, but I feel like you used to see that a lot.

How long was Echolyn's breakup?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Paul Cook of IQ was mentioned, so I'm surprised no one mentioned Peter Nicholls, though I'm not sure how many years Nicholls was away.

I always thought it was funny how often ads for albums or stickers on the albums would say something like "The Amazing Comeback Album..." or "The reunion fans were waiting for..." when it didn't even seem like there was any really noticeable breakup or hiatus. I can't think of any examples, but I feel like you used to see that a lot.

How long was Echolyn's breakup?
    Peter Nicholls left IQ in 1985 and rejoined in 1990 (although the band did not release any new material with him before 1993). So he was away from the band for about as much time as Paul Cook (2005-2009 IIRC).

The Echolyn breakup was 1996-2000 so quite short as well.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Indeed. It's interesting how Bruford talks about this, as well. He often doesn't make the distinction at all: that is, he sees art and commerce as being firmly connected, they are both about relating to an audience. He speaks with pride about all his albums making a profit.

Henry
    It always amuses/amazes me when people get cranky about artists making a living. "I remember them when nobody knew them." Yes, they may well have been edgy and "uncommercial" (whatever that means), but if you talk to most musicians, they would very much like to be able to make a decent living; decent not being millions, but to be able to do the same things to which most of us aspire: a roof over our heads, food on the table, a family, etc. Bruford has always been both a tremendously creative and pragmatic musician, as his autobiography makes clear.

When you get past the sex, drugs and rock 'n roll, few musicians want to spend their lives struggling for no recompense; they want to make a living, and it's one of the reasons I am so down on streaming services - someone is making money, but it ain't the musicians, and that's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    More nitpicking. Wright was fired towards the end of making The Wall album. He was hired as a side musician for The Wall shows. He was gone after the shows and wasn't on The Final Cut. He came very late in the recording of AMLOR and again not a as PF member but as a sideman. There was also contract language prohibiting his return to PF as a full timer. Wright started the tour still as a sideman. He was a full fledged PF member for the The Division Bell. I don't know when he came back onboard, during one of the legs of the AMLOR tour or during the recording of TDB.
    Who is a band member and who is a session player is complicated. In the case of Floyd, those complexities were played out in a public way. With other bands, it's hard to come up with a sensible match between who fans perceive as a member and the contractual relationships different people had. Take Yes: Patrick Moraz was a member of Yes, wasn't he? AIUI, he was never accepted into the partnership that owns the band and was paid as a session player.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    When you get past the sex, drugs and rock 'n roll
    Just to interrupt you at that point... it is amusing how many prog musicians, when you ask them why they first started playing or formed a band, they say it was for the girls.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Emerson, Lake and Palmer 1987 between ELPowell and 3. A couple of festival dates were advertised but didn't get beyond a handful of rehearsals

Maybe someone else can provide the particulars, but I remember reading somewhere where Dennis DeYoung was fired from Styx and management insisted/brought him back just hours later or maybe it was a couple of weeks. Me thinks that wins the prize.

Billy Sherwood broke up with himself, but got back together with himself 3 months later. The rest is history.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I think it was Ringo Starr who quit the Beatles during the white album sessions then returned one or two weeks later. That's why you hear Paul playing drums on "Back in the USSR" and not Ringo. Not sure if that is the only track on that album featuring Paul's drumming though.

As was mentioned some bands go on hiatus without ever actually breaking up. Porcupine Tree are currently still officially on hiatus and the Flower Kings were on hiatus from 2007 until 2012.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The Flower Kings were on hiatus from 2007 until 2012.
    The hiatus was in fact shorter than that - they toured the USA in August 2008 then played Scandinavian shows until early 2009.
    The band got back together (with a new drummer) in late 2011 to work on "Banks Of Eden".
    So, less than 3 years.
    It is true, though, that they didn't release an album between 2007 and 2012.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Billy Sherwood broke up with himself, but got back together with himself 3 months later. The rest is history.
    Well he had to get back together, he needed to produce a tribute album to himself.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ You guys only joke like that because you know he's not here to see it or defend himself.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Peter Baumann left Tangerine Dream while Green Desert was being worked on, and he rejoined for Phaedra. Then he left again and Michael Hoenig filled in for a tour of Australia. Baumann returned for Stratosfear, the US tour that gave us Encore, and the Sorcerer album before bailing again permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Just to interrupt you at that point... it is amusing how many prog musicians, when you ask them why they first started playing or formed a band, they say it was for the girls.

Henry
    Hah. I'm sure they say that as a joke. Everyone knows prog musicians don't get many if any groupies. Just watch the RUSH dvd "beyond the lighted stage." If a band as high profile as RUSH doesn't get female groupies you think all these lesser known prog bands do?

Helmut Koellen of Triumvirat left the band at the end of 1975; he returned and left again before the release of their 1977 album Pompeii. He died on May 3rd, 1977.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Didn't Wright rejoin(although not officially) at the end of the recording of MLOR? I believe he's only on two tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    It always amuses/amazes me when people get cranky about artists making a living. "I remember them when nobody knew them." Yes, they may well have been edgy and "uncommercial" (whatever that means), but if you talk to most musicians, they would very much like to be able to make a decent living; decent not being millions, but to be able to do the same things to which most of us aspire: a roof over our heads, food on the table, a family, etc. Bruford has always been both a tremendously creative and pragmatic musician, as his autobiography makes clear.

When you get past the sex, drugs and rock 'n roll, few musicians want to spend their lives struggling for no recompense; they want to make a living, and it's one of the reasons I am so down on streaming services - someone is making money, but it ain't the musicians, and that's just wrong.
    That reminds me of the '98 breakup of Genesis. Tony Banks that was the perfect time for the band to break up, because they record/concert sales were dull and he want to have to start over at his age.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    . The 1984-85 (not 1983) tour for "Pros & Cons" was on a par with Floyd tours in its grandiose staging, and was based much more on the Floyd back catalogue than Gilmour's own "About Face" tour in 1984. Still it was much less successful than previous Floyd tours (thus, I believe, Clapton's early departure from the tour band).
    There were something like 9 months between the two Pros & Cons tours. I imagine Eric wanted to get on with his own career, as I'm sure he still owed Warners some albums. And he hijacked two of the musicians from Roger's band too, namely Tim Renwick and Chris Stainton. I would bet he was only contracted to do the one tour in the first place. And given the reports of Roger's "tyrannical" behavior at the time (Renwick said that Roger was easy to work with in the early rehearsals, but by the time they got to doing the dress rehearsals, that changed) , I wouldn't be surprised if Eric said "I'm not doing that again".

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Waters decided he had to "kill" Pink Floyd because people wouldn't pay attention to his solo career until the "threat" of Floyd's return to action didn't go away. Thus his decision to retire PF in late 1985. Gilmour, it seems, came to the opposite conclusion, i.e. that there was no point in going solo when he could play the same music to a much larger audience simply by using the Floyd moniker instead. So he quite logically chose to continue PF without Waters. Made perfect sense. Now, whether or not he had in him, artistically, what it took to make albums worthy of PF's past is another matter. Certainly, when he got both Mason and, later, Wright to join him in his endeavour, he had a serious advantage over Waters when performing the old stuff.
    I think one of the problems Roger had was he played severely altered arrangements of the songs on those early solo tours. There was a comment in the Nicholas Schaeffner book about how Scott Page, who was the sax player on Pink Floyd's 87-89 era tours, went to see Roger when he came to whichever city it was in Canada where Pink Floyd were rehearsing for their tour. He said that Roger had a good band, and the new songs sounded good, but the Floyd material "sounded like funk songs". And I've heard a few bootlegs where he certainly was playing stuff that I'm sure made a lot of fans say "Wait, I want to hear the song I know from the record, not some revised arrangement". At least Pink Floyd (for better or worse) played the songs the way the fans knew them and love them (personally, I prefer their approach during their first decade, where there was a high degree of jamming and improvisation during the shows...that kinda went away when Roger decided he literally wanted to play from behind a wall...).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    he hijacked two of the musicians from Roger's band too, namely Tim Renwick and Chris Stainton.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chris play with Clapton first?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There were something like 9 months between the two Pros & Cons tours. I imagine Eric wanted to get on with his own career, as I'm sure he still owed Warners some albums. And he hijacked two of the musicians from Roger's band too, namely Tim Renwick and Chris Stainton. I would bet he was only contracted to do the one tour in the first place. And given the reports of Roger's "tyrannical" behavior at the time (Renwick said that Roger was easy to work with in the early rehearsals, but by the time they got to doing the dress rehearsals, that changed) , I wouldn't be surprised if Eric said "I'm not doing that again".

I seem to remember that Clapton became depressed playing Waters' music and just dealing with him for a whole tour and didn't want to re-up for a 2nd go-round.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Ian1019 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chris play with Clapton first?
    Yeah, I think you're right. But Clapton, Renwick and Stainton went from doing the Pros & Cons tour to doing Clapton's Behind The Sun album and tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I seem to remember that Clapton became depressed playing Waters' music and just dealing with him for a whole tour and didn't want to re-up for a 2nd go-round.
    Yeah, I can see that. If I'm not mistaken, Eric was still drinking at the time, too, so I imagine that probably didn't help his state of mind, either.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well he had to get back together, he needed to produce a tribute album to himself.
    Wasn't the breakup over musical differences?