Thread: The Melvins

The Melvins

After occasionally checking out Melvins' music over the years, I've reached the point where Buzz's vocals no longer irritate me. I'm interested in seeing them in person even if it's the Lite version or with Fantomas. Just wondering if anybody else here digs them and what records and bootleg shows you have. Also, they seem like really good folks in interviews; if you've met them, are they courteous or do they tend to prefer their privacy?

41 views and no replies. okie doke.

My favorites are probably Stoner Witch, Houdini, Lysol, and Pigs of the Roman Empire...
    I've seen them live a couple of times and they are definitely worthy live.
    Never met 'em.

Yeah, seen them three or four times myself (and Fantomas twice). Last record I picked up was the covers album, before that was Hostile Ambient Takeover, so I've missed the whole double drummer and lite versions of the band--need to do something about that. I'm a big fan of Bullhead.

Also never met them, but I have a friend who swears she's seen Buzz without the big hair and that it's just a whig. I tend not to believe that.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Well, there you go.

Just pre-ordered the new one, Tres Carbones and picked up Freak Puke and Bride Screamed Murder while I was at it. Go Melvins!

I'm a fan. I like "Stoner Witch" and "Houdini" the best. I once saw them open for Primus and they were fantastic. They are the slowest heaviest band I've ever seen live.

I've been watching interviews with Buzz. In one, he said he wants to look like a freak. He said he has wigs. In another he said he got plugs ($50k paid for by Scion) cause his hairline was receding and he didn't want to look weird. I think he just has frizzy hair - no wigs, no plugs - because his coif has looked basically the same for many years. it's just gray now. I think he's one of those cats who sometimes you can't tell if he's pulling yer leg or not. He's a really interesting interview, that's for sure.

He was a great guest on Red Eye, that's for sure....

I was surprised to see him on there, but I haven't watched it in quite a while. need to see it again.

Freak Puke is quite good, some of the best Melvins-ing I've heard in a while.

Trevor Dunn, as should be expected, slays.

As of now, I have Freak Puke & Gluey Porch Treatments (expanded) and I dig both. The more I read interviews with Buzz, and sometimes Dale, the more enthused I get about hearing the rest of their discography. Next time they're in my neighborhood, I'll be in front of the stage, even if I'm too old to mosh.

I would definitely go see them again. There's no way in hell I'd get close to the front of the stage, though.

GPT is a weird album. I'm guessing the new one will sound somewhat like that as it's the original band playing original material that never made it to record.