Thread: Stephen Stills - Manassas

Stephen Stills - Manassas

Any thoughts on this band?

imo the first album was one of the best things Stills was ever involved in.

Well, I enjoyed the first Manassas album and also enjoy the second one Down The Road, which is not to be overlooked. But I wouldn't say it's the best album Stills was involved in. That would either be Buffalo Springfield or CSN.

Amazing band. Still haven't heard the second album but the first is a mind blower.

Great DVD out, too!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Well, I enjoyed the first Manassas album and also enjoy the second one Down The Road, which is not to be overlooked. But I wouldn't say it's the best album Stills was involved in. That would either be Buffalo Springfield or CSN.
    yeah, probably a minority opinion.I was never as big a fan of Buffalo Springfield or CSN(and Y) though.

i loved this band. saw them live once and they totally killed.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

His first solo album from 1970 is pretty terrific.

Many good songs on that first Manassas album, and somehow I never heard it until about 10 years ago. His first and second solo LPs are quite good, too. CSN and Buffalo Springfield are legends, so I don't need to tell you how good they were.

huh? a minority opinion? in what way--just because you didn't care for them? The first CSN album sold huge & had tons of fans.

The first CSN and the subsequent CSNY album are classics.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    huh? a minority opinion? in what way--just because you didn't care for them? The first CSN album sold huge & had tons of fans.
    I meant mine was the minority opinion.And i do like them.Just not big favourites or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Any thoughts on this band?

imo the first album was one of the best things Stills was ever involved in.
    Agreed. For more, pick up Manassas' Pieces, which collects previously unreleased material. A strong, strong set.

Banned
    Bump. I found the first Manassas CD for $7.99 at Barnes & Noble. This may be an overblown statement, but I think that this just became my favorite double album. I like how each side is divided. The rock and soul of side one, the country and bluegrass of the second side, the folk of the third side, and the rock and blues of side four. Killer Moog played by Stills on Move Around.

I bought the first (double) LP on vinyl when it first came out. I remember really liking it, particularly because of the presence of Chris Hillman and Al Perkins, both late of the Burrito Bros. I haven't listened to it in years. I'll have to dust it off and give it a spin again. Thanks for the memory.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Great, great album.

FWIW I recently picked up the Stills box Carry On. I have a lot of the studio stuff already, but I'm a pretty big fan of C, S and N (less so Y) and couldn't resist. Definitely worth getting, for fans.

Bo-one capable of writing both '4 and 20' and 'The Treasure' is anything less than one of the all-time greats.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

All I have are the songs that were included on the CSN Box Set, but I like all of them.

Steve Sly